SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#353410 - 10/23/12 04:18 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
Larry,

It shouldn't really be much of a problem. Just take it slow and don't force anything. I was a tech for 10 years. If the pot isn't sealed try a little WD40 in it. Spray it and work it back and forth. If it is sealed bend the little tabs back a little to create a crack in which you can get a little WD40 in there. Squeeze the tabs back and it should be good to go. If you need to replace the pot go to Radio Shaft get some solder wick to unsolder it. Get the right resistance pot and solder the new one in. I doubt you will need to replace it. Good luck.

Tom

Sorry Tom, I have to disagree a little.

It is not recommended to put ANY solvent based products or oils (and WD40 is essentially Kerosene) into electronic components..

Compressed air is the only method (safe) to use...and one can buy these at any electronics store in handy aerosol packs...Also do not use normal compressed air as this contains quite a deal of moisture...

Electronics grade is totally dry air...

Also your post indicates it is far easier than it really is...care needs to be take not to overheat other components and tracks in the removal, and replacement..

Sure, for you or I it is "electronics 101", but for folks not used to this type of circuitry and fine soldering, it can be a test.

Also you forgot to mention he must use rosin core solder, not acid..just another small heads up.

No offence meant, and I am not trying to start an argument and I am SURE you do know your stuff, I just wanted to mention this.

Dennis

#353416 - 10/23/12 05:35 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: miden]
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Maybe things have changed (in the end they always do), but many of us former techi types from an earlier lifetime used to use isopropol alcohol for cleaning contacts.

EDIT: and I agree - don't try soldering on your keyboard if you have no prior experience.

Edited by NoteBender (10/23/12 05:38 PM)

#353418 - 10/23/12 05:52 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: NoteBender]
miden Offline

Yes, another good product and still very much in use, but these days the pots tend to be the "no user-serviceable parts" variety!! laugh

#353420 - 10/23/12 06:59 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: miden]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Not true Tony - pots are standard manufacture and are widely available and in all the various mounting configs used by pretty much all manufacturers. There is nothing proprietary about them at all.

Beaky,

Send it to Miden, he'll repair it... rotf2 I am not going to argue with you Miden, I have only been in electronic manufacturing for the last 40 years, what would I know about the subject confused2 Beaky don't no what all the fuss is about you, you've not got to the pot yet, tells us what it looks like when you get to it, 2013 no doubt, it will end up in the trash can, I'll be bound, something are not meant to come apart easily, you will find little plastic clips that you didn't know were there will break off, Doh these things are not real engineering jobs, now if you had bought a G70 there is a different animal, you need power tools to take that apart, build like a tank. bounce you do what you have to do Beaky but you have been warned. stop

#353421 - 10/23/12 07:21 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Larry,

I've opened the PSR-740, 2000, 3000 and S900 and never had a problem. I have NOT opened an S-910 yet, but I wouldn't think it would be difficult. However, if you don't have any electronic experience, I wouldn't recommend undertaking this task - too many delicate parts.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Like a plumber opening up someones chest cavity Gary, are you any good a stitching up, good advice Gary party

#353422 - 10/23/12 07:26 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: Beakybird]
miden Offline

ROTFLMAO - whatever, tosser!!

#353424 - 10/23/12 08:26 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: miden]
Tony Hughes Offline

Dennis,

Got the Tosser bit, but the abbreviations need a bit of help??

Tony

Must admit it doesn't take long for you to get back to your old self, great pity Dennis with so much knowledge you have to share, you certainly don't have any trouble expressing yourself either.

#353426 - 10/23/12 08:43 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Dennis,

Got the Tosser bit, but the abbreviations need a bit of help??

Tony

Must admit it doesn't take long for you to get back to your old self, great pity Dennis with so much knowledge you have to share.

"Tosser"?

Not a word we Canadians are familiar with, Tony...what does it mean?

Ian

#353427 - 10/23/12 08:57 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: Beakybird]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ian,

If I told you what it means I would have to kill you, it's top secret, 007.5
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#353430 - 10/23/12 09:27 PM Re: Has anyone opened up a PSR-S910? [Re: Beakybird]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online