SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352921 - 10/16/12 12:19 PM OK Everybody Laugh!!!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don't forget in 1975 I put the sax in the closet until around 2000. So, I'm brain dead about artist and tunes from 1975 to 2000 approximately.

On the way to laying brick one day, maybe in '77 or there about I heard "I Just Want To Be Your Everything." Loved it the first time I heard it.

When I started the OMB thing, this song was in my head but I couldn't remember a thing about it. Then one day in McDonalds maybe around 2002, it was playing and I found out the title when the DJ announced it.

So, my question is: This tune was recorded by Andy Gibbs and the Bee Gees, not just the Bee Gees as I've been thinking, right?

Thanks again for any comments.
Boo

#352922 - 10/16/12 12:57 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida

#352925 - 10/16/12 02:42 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Andy's three older brothers were the Bee Gees and he started on his own around 1974.
"I Just Want To Be Your Everything." was his first big hit in 1977

Sadly, Andy Gibb passed away in 1988 at the age of 30.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#352933 - 10/16/12 04:20 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Diki, Larry thanks for the info. I searched google and found the song on YouTube but I missed the Wiki info. I'll check it out now.

Man I refuse to apologize for this statement. The recorded material from the 70's and through the present state of things pale in insignificance in comparison to this tune, Sinatra's New York New York, and there are others, but they are far, few and in between when talking vocals.

How many tunes do you hear with the flatted ninth or if you prefer to substitute a dim chord as it is used here and in "Friends In Low Places.

What memories!! Like I said before, I didn't think I liked any artist from the seventies. When I heard the DJ say Bee Gees, I said to myself at the time, "Man I didn't know I liked the Bee Gee's." It helps to keep an open mind.

You know what? This forum is really very nice sometimes when Diki, Chas and I are not stirring things up. Oh, throw DonM in this mix too! I wouldn't want to slight him. You ever see how big and mean he looks? Intimidating.

#352937 - 10/16/12 05:57 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I was a Jim Croce fan then, and now. His album "Photographs and Memories" was very well done. Interestingly, the one song I like d more than others doesn't appear on current collections available. "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way" had tons of chord changes in it and is reminiscent of classical guitar playing. Another lost n his prime. I would love to have had a chance to get more from him..

Jim Croce

#352938 - 10/16/12 06:06 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: sparky589]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: sparky589
I was a Jim Croce fan then, and now. His album "Photographs and Memories" was very well done. Interestingly, the one song I like d more than others doesn't appear on current collections available. "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way" had tons of chord changes in it and is reminiscent of classical guitar playing. Another lost n his prime. I would love to have had a chance to get more from him..

Jim Croce

Also, one of my favorite Croce tunes, and very beautiful guitar work.

Chords here:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jim_croce/it_doesnt_have_to_be_that_way_crd.htm

Also a little more complex version here, with on bass chords:

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/holiday/doesnt-have-to-be-that-way-5503.html

Ian

#352950 - 10/16/12 11:39 PM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
What memories!! Like I said before, I didn't think I liked any artist from the seventies.

And don't forget Steely Dan. They are from the 70s and their chord progressions are always tasty and interesting .... plus they also have a great sense of humor.

#352960 - 10/17/12 06:39 AM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Amen to that, Nigel. Too many classics to mention. One of my later faves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxknEhmqObY

#352970 - 10/17/12 07:58 AM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

I thought the sax player was Hank Crawford for a minute. I like groovy funk too. Always did. Just can't do it all night long.

Nigel,

I need to throw in "A Nightingale Sang In Barkley Square" now and again to keep me happy in your band.

#352971 - 10/17/12 08:10 AM Re: OK Everybody Laugh!!! [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The 70's....Three dog Night...Sergio Mendez...Sly and the Family Stone....Chicago...Blood Sweat and Tears...lots of sophisticated, innovative, heavily jazz influenced material.

Boo, you old SOFTEE!
(great ear, too)

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online