SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352818 - 10/14/12 11:05 PM Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's Capt. Russ' buddy Dick Dale on LW show. Cutting edge stuff! Welk thought it was a "Modern Spiritual".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg&NR=1

DonM

#352838 - 10/15/12 09:04 AM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Great Song.....fine harmonies.. clap
LW is a childhood hero of mine! headphone

#352842 - 10/15/12 09:21 AM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
smoke

#352845 - 10/15/12 10:55 AM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
NOT THAT DICK DALE, DUMBASS (LOL)!

Guy could sing, though.

Russ (closet Lawrence WElk Fan) Lay

(Good song, too! Played it thousands of times in my college bar days).

#352849 - 10/15/12 12:21 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
NOT THAT DICK DALE, DUMBASS (LOL)!

Guy could sing, though.

Russ (closet Lawrence WElk Fan) Lay

(Good song, too! Played it thousands of times in my college bar days).

Got your attention though, didn't it?
DonM

#352857 - 10/15/12 03:03 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Ya got me too Don

I was hoping for this Dick Dale, the left handed strat master, king of the surf guitar, and was part of the soundtrack for "Pulp Fiction"... and the Captain's buddy.

...I'm sure Russ has a story or two smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#352861 - 10/15/12 03:51 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Larry, I went to Southern California in 1962 as a 16 year old just out of high school. When Dick Dale played the area, the Beach Boys and others couldn't beg a job. He was a real surfer, had his own record studio and packed places like the Jewish Community Center in Anaheim.

Shared a stage several times, and we knew each other, but I came back to Kentucky in 1964 and lost track of him until Pulp Fiction. By then, he gained my respect as a cancer survivor and a recognized guitar innovator. Last time I saw him was a NAMM, where he took the stage with either his kid or his grandson.

I got into jazz and corporate communications, but fondly remember my days playing surf guitar (still have my 1959 Strat, now worth about $25,000.00), and learning every Dick Dale song note for note.

Occasionally, I'll surprise everyone, break out the Strat and play Miserlou; usually at the end of the last set at a restaurant/bar.

Good memories of my days in California. Best are my times with Ray Brown, Herb Ellis and the like, but that's a story for another time...

Please excuse the ramblings of a sentimental old dude...

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/15/12 03:52 PM)

#352865 - 10/15/12 06:29 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Russ,

Love hearing those ol' stories. I think it's cool you know him that well. I heard he never smoked or drank, and was a pretty straight and narrow guy. Did he have anything to do with the Ventures?

And speaking of old Strats, when my father was active in the music store, someone wanted to trade in a Fender Stat for $100 on a new guitar. Neither buyer or seller knew the value, but the guy really wanted a new guitar, so the deal was made. As it turned out it was a 1960 Strat worth at that time about 10G. I'm not sure what he actually received for the guitar, but a collector eventually bought it for... who knows how much.(probably a lot) Anyway, my Pop notified the original owner and he gave him a percentage of the sale, so he must have made a bundle in that deal.

PS: Is the '59 Strat part of your sale? I heard DonM always wanted one, and has an extra $25,000 to spare smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#352867 - 10/15/12 06:38 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I actually HAD one. I won it in a poker game in college in 1962.
Twenty years later I sold it for about four thousand dollars. Wish I had it now, I'd sell it to Russ!
DonM

#352879 - 10/15/12 09:50 PM Re: Lawrence Welk pushing WEED. (Off topic) [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Please excuse the ramblings of a sentimental old dude...
Russ

From one old dude to another I love the the ramblings of a sentimental old dude. Such great memories, it is awesome that you keep them alive for us all. I'd love to hear you playing that 59 strat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online