SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#352625 - 10/11/12 02:48 PM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: lahawk]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you’re going for 2 keyboards, add a Korg Krome Workstation to the PSR-S910 rather than the PA 600 (There the same price) as this would really give you an awesome combination. (Never seen the point in having 2 arrangers together)

Bill

#352631 - 10/11/12 09:20 PM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: Diki]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Diki
Still hearing people talk about loading new audio styles into the S950. It has been told that this cannot be done in realtime. You have to load them (slowly!) into FLASH RAM like doing an OS update. Then you have to reboot. Plus, there's very little additional RAM, so you aren't going to be able to load in more than probably one expansion pak (and that may be only a few styles) at a time.

For live players, this is practically useless.

Diki are you sure about that?

The reason I ask is because as of this time there are no other audio styles to import into the S950, so there is really no way of telling how long it will take to load an audio style from a USB stick. I find it hard to believe that future audio styles will contain so much data that a keyboard reboot would be necessary.

In fact, who knows, loading future audio styles may be as simple as loading directly from a USB stick. I admit, I don't know, but can't find any evidence one way or another, again, mainly because as of this time, there are no external audio styles available to import. But you may be correct, and we will know for sure...once new audio styles become available.

Now if you're talking expansion packs, a totally different entity, a reboot may be necessary to update the Flash Ram, but I'm not even 100% sure of that, as again, I know of no one who has loaded the 1 or 2 current expansion packs available to validate a slow load time and reboot.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#352636 - 10/12/12 12:07 AM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: abacus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Bill

With all due respect, I could not disagree more.
The Krome workstation will be most interesting to those playing in a band to add whichever sound cannot be produced by the band itself. The PA600 adds the whole range of virtually ALL PA styles of the last 10 years to your arsenal, the sounds are top quality and additional and slightly different from th Yamaha breed. All Korg PA keyboards are widely known for their versatality when it comes to in-depth programming and even in the synth department there are sounds galore. So I still think that someone already owing a PSR910 would be best of with a PA600 addition...
Incidentally, could anyone with a PSR910 tell me ( or George K for that matter) what anyone would have to pay on top of part-exchanging his PSR910 for a PSR950 ? Just to make the comparison with getting a PA600 instead .)

regards,
John

#352653 - 10/12/12 08:22 AM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: lahawk

The reason I ask is because as of this time there are no other audio styles to import into the S950, so there is really no way of telling how long it will take to load an audio style from a USB stick. I find it hard to believe that future audio styles will contain so much data that a keyboard reboot would be necessary.

In fact, who knows, loading future audio styles may be as simple as loading directly from a USB stick. I admit, I don't know, but can't find any evidence one way or another, again, mainly because as of this time, there are no external audio styles available to import. But you may be correct, and we will know for sure...once new audio styles become available.

Now if you're talking expansion packs, a totally different entity, a reboot may be necessary to update the Flash Ram, but I'm not even 100% sure of that, as again, I know of no one who has loaded the 1 or 2 current expansion packs available to validate a slow load time and reboot.

Pretty sure I read it here. Do a search. I believe it is the nature of FLASH RAM. It isn't functionally the same as regular RAM (which would have made more sense if it could be loaded at USB2 speeds). Yes, I'm talking about new audio styles. They are not loaded in like the Multipad Audio Link, which reads direct from the stick. Any new audio styles have to be loaded into the FLASH RAM.

Check the first few S950 posts, I think that's where I read it.

#352655 - 10/12/12 08:39 AM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: Diki]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Pretty sure I read it here. Do a search. I believe it is the nature of FLASH RAM. It isn't functionally the same as regular RAM (which would have made more sense if it could be loaded at USB2 speeds). Yes, I'm talking about new audio styles. They are not loaded in like the Multipad Audio Link, which reads direct from the stick. Any new audio styles have to be loaded into the FLASH RAM.

Check the first few S950 posts, I think that's where I read it.

This is something that I surmised because the S950 promotional literature says that you can even play Audio styles from the flash RAM. Why would they say that and not say that about the USB memory? Time will tell.

#352663 - 10/12/12 09:24 AM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Beakybird
This is from the recently released reference manual:

(PSR-S950) Limitations on the Audio part:
• If you select a preset Audio Style as starting data, the Audio part is to be used as is. The Audio part cannot
be deleted, edited and created from scratch.
• The created Style containing the Audio part can be used only via an instrument that supports Audio
Styles as well as the SFF GE format.
• The Audio part cannot be copied from another Style or Section in the ASSEMBLE page. If you want to
use a specific Audio part, make sure to select the corresponding Audio Style before calling up the Style
Creator display.

As I haven't laid hands on the keyboard yet, there is no way of knowing, but I suspect that additional Audio Drum styles will only be available via Expansion Packs that can only be played from the 64MB flash drive. As the manual states, only one Expansion Pack can be on the keyboard at a time, and to change Expansion Packs the keyboard needs to be restarted.

Found it!

#352684 - 10/12/12 12:34 PM Re: 910 950 Basic Comparison [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
We may be confusing single audio styles with expansion packs.

Therefore I am not conceding that loading yet to be developed future audio styles purchased from Yamaha will need to be loaded into Flash Rom, will be a slow process, and a reboot will be necessary.

Now if Yamaha decides to sell audio styles as a group expansion pack only, rather than on an individual single purchase, then a load into Flash Rom and a reboot may be necessary.

However, I suspect Yamaha will sell future audio styles the same way they currently sell regular styles, either on an individual, or an expansion pack purchase.

Can anyone find the file size of a current factory loaded audio style? Just askin'... smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online