SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#351598 - 09/23/12 10:31 AM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

In many NH gigs there are many new residents being inducted week after week the rotation is frequent such is life......just go in there and play like it was a 500 people audience...give em hell ....I surly do they deserve a good show....if you do something you might of done in previous shows there just change it up use a different arrangement, give it a different touch...work the crowd baby that's what its all about... a gig is a gig is a gig!!

#351599 - 09/23/12 11:12 AM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks guys

Maybe I was not clear. Eddie understands.

Say I have 300 instrumental and 300 vocals in my master song list. This list is in all genre's, and is set up alphabetical order to match my Audya registration list. One for instrumental and one for vocal. Let's say I go to my Friday 3 hr gig, which has some of the same people has my Wednesday 2 hr gig, and my Monday three hour gig.

I jump around, depending on the crowd, but with that many songs it is hard to remember what I played where and when.

I have imported my master list into Excel with dates, and check off the songs I played and sang when I get home.

All my material has been carefully chosen over the 45 years, and my guests should be able to get the benefit of not hearing the same list every time they come and listen, but it is hard to keep track of.

I don't know spread sheets and databases, and thought there must be a better software to use than this. Software for DJ's,e.g., points directly to songs in the computer, and no good for me.

Donny, for me, a gig is not just a gig, but rather a reflection on me. Not only that, I get bored doing the same old thing. I take pride in being able to play for days, if necessary, and never repeat a song.

Thank you for your help.

Bernie

#351602 - 09/23/12 01:12 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Good luck out there Bernie!

#351605 - 09/23/12 02:14 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks Donny

No matter what, I'm having the time of my life.

#351606 - 09/23/12 02:43 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie

A database is easier for what you require (Once it is set-up) as providing you tick the songs on the date they were played and where they were played, you can search by place and date (Or a range of dates) to see what was played at any time.

NOTE: when setting up a database, use a template (Or Wizard) that is similar to what you want, and then modify it to match your requirements. (It is much easier than building from scratch)

Most Databases can import Excel files, so you won’t need to input all the information you have again, you will just need to do a few modifications to it.

Hope this helps

Bill

#351609 - 09/23/12 03:10 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey Bernie,
Many of us face this issue. I have places I play weekly with the same people every time and I have other places I play monthly, again with most of the same people. Over the years I have established more songs I play than I have time to even go through to find the most popular. What I have done is setup over 50 play lists with songs from the era my audiences understand and request. There are always some tunes in any play list that can be found in several other lists because they are the ones most often requested or are known to everyone. I have an added problem in that I play very few songs from memory so I have to also setup leadsheets for each playlist and have them organized for good flow. It takes time and things change for various reasons. I am constantly changing my lists and, like you, it often is because I get tired of the same old songs day after day. However, I always keep in mind who I play for when I make changes. During a gig I let folks know to let me know if there is a song they want to hear and I always make sure I play any of those requests.

This brings to mind my early days playing with several very well nationally known big bands. We ALWAYS played the same songs, in the same order, and exactly the way they were recorded note for note. The audiences expected to hear these big hits from these bands and were there to hear just that. From a band member's point of view it got real old fast - but that was the business - giving them what they came for.

Perhaps each of us is hired today because we have a flare for playing certain songs or genres that rings true with the people who hire us. If that is true then playing the same songs might not be a bad thing - at least from a business point of view.

Deane

#351611 - 09/23/12 04:40 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There are songs that you need to play and yes people get bored and so do we. What I have done is to take a song like All or nothing at all, a Sinatra tune and use a different beat/style. I am using Latin Samba on this one and it is exciting. Try bring a rock flavor to these overdone songs and they sound new.

So in my play list I have the song listed two times. Once as All or nothing at all, Orig. -- and All or nothing at all, Contmp. giving a choice to please my audience.

John C.

#351616 - 09/23/12 05:59 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

John exactly.......I do many songs in 3 or 4 versions and styles depending on the venue......shake it up out there. !

#351624 - 09/24/12 02:01 AM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

All are very good points.

I think I will cull my list to groups of 50, switch to a database,and repeat my all time favorites in different styles.

Edited by Bernie9 (09/24/12 02:02 AM)

#351650 - 09/24/12 03:32 PM Re: Managing Playlists [Re: Bernie9]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Bernie, I have used Excel spreadsheets for years to track exactly what you mention. I find databases hard to manage and enter data. One idea would be to have your songs down the left hand column. Then use a separate column for each location that you play, and write the date that you play a particular song.

For example if you played Amazing Grace today in Shady Palms, have a column heading of Shady Palms and enter 09/24/12 in the column. If you play it again in that location say on December 11th, your entry would be 09/24/12, 12/11/12.

Another idea would be to have a separate worksheet for each facility, again each sheet having your songs on the left column, then label the columns as the dates you perform there and place check marks for each song under the dates that you play.

Hope this helps spark something that helps.

Blessings

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online