SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#348 - 04/29/07 07:47 PM Roland JX-3P owners----New easy Mod for better sound
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
Solder individual wires from the POLY OUT test point and the GND test point right next to it.

These are located on the upper left part of the motherboard, surrounded by small yellow plastic.

Solder the POLY OUT wire to a 1/4 inch audio jack positive terminal. Wire the GND to the negative terminal of the audio jack. Mount the jack somewhere. I just cut the traces to the headphone jack and used it so I wouldn't have to drill a new hole or buy a jack.

This jack bypasses the chorus unit, volume control, and the useless highpass filter. The result is much less background hiss, and more bass and treble response.

The original outputs will still work as original.

Warning: This new jack has very High output. Use with a mixer, or a set of headphones with volume controls.

TRONIK

[This message has been edited by Justin Gazda (edited 04-29-2007).]

#349 - 05/03/07 08:12 AM Re: Roland JX-3P owners----New easy Mod for better sound
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Justin, you're a genius. I only wish I had a JX to actually try this on. I've been browsing the web for a rack for quite some time now and haven't found a deal worth going for. But if lady luck smiles on me would this mod also work on Planet S module?

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-03-2007).]

#350 - 05/03/07 09:45 AM Re: Roland JX-3P owners----New easy Mod for better sound
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
I have been wanting to do this mod for three years now, but the schematics I have for my machine are terrible and hard to decipher. On a whim, I just tried to see what the poly out points defeated, since I noticed they were upstream of the highpass filter.

Luckily, they were a pure output of the combined lowpass filters.

Something tells me this mod is open to all roland gear. Even the Jupiter 6 and 8.

Every highpass filter eliminates bass, even when it is not turned up.

#351 - 05/03/07 03:57 PM Re: Roland JX-3P owners----New easy Mod for better sound
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
So true about the Hypass filter.

What I like about your mod is that it keeps both chorus and HPF but allows you to bypass them if you need to. Still looking for that JX3P or planet S. Still kicking myself for having sold mine.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-04-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online