SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#350795 - 09/10/12 04:27 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The danger in learning chord extensions, chord substitutions and improvising is that we can lose the joy of what we are trying to do because we have made it too complicated. If you are young and have the time to put in then by all means learn it all.

When I studied chord theory I was able to use a different chord on every beat; wow, fantastic – but it sounded terrible. Just add one chord change and listen, no more.

Roman numerals are used because when we Say Chord “I” we are referring to the first step in all keys.

Key of C Major: I = C IIm7 = Dm7 V7 – G7 This is the most used progression in music. Learn it in all keys. If I was talking about Rock and Blues it would be: I = C IV F instead of IIm7 and V7 = G7. Let’s stay with: IIm7 V7 I = Dm7 G7 C.

One change: substitute a bII7 chord for a V7 chord Db7 instead of G7.

Possibilities in the key of C major.
Dm7 Db7 C
Dm7 G7 Db7 C

Whenever you see a V7 going to a I chord = G7 C make the change and listen to how it sounds. How it sounds is the final test.

John C.

#350826 - 09/10/12 10:17 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Acoustic Alchemy....Joe Williams? From two favorites...Chas and Nigel comes mention of two of my all-time favorites.

I believe that all good players at least have an affinity for structures required to [play jazz.

Rory, arguably one of the best players here, started and now excels at gospel and country, but can "out jazz" me with his eyes closed (sorry, Rory...just had to do it), and I "ain't no slouch".

I started off as a fan of Chet Atkins and Les Paul. You just graduate to ever more complicated structures, substitutions, etc.

Of course, you play yourself out of a job, but that's a subject for another day.

Thanks to all for the sincere, articulate suggestions.

Now Chas. What about that Sister....or Aunt...or neighbor?
How about whomever (like that word?) has the biggest social security check or dead/divorced husband's retirement check?

Just askin?

Russ (former horndog) Lay

#350834 - 09/10/12 11:52 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Half remembered tunes offer the best opportunity for 'substitutions'! It's amazing what you can come up with when you don't know what you are SUPPOSED to play!

Yes! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
DonM

#350845 - 09/10/12 02:35 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: DonM]

Now, the real world. I played the annual Roots and Heritage festival last week-end. The city paid really well, but, to do the George Duke thing in a club is a $75.00 gig, and there are 3 area "monsters" fighting for the work.I'm the weakest player, but vocals get me by.

Two weeks ago, at a government function a city official came up to me and said, "you play mostly country, don't you?" When I said "hell no", the guy said, "I figured if you could play country, you could play anything".

I wanted to but his B***'s off, but then realized he didn't have any.

Oh well, off to my fried chicken job tomorrow.

What a sell-out I've become.

Russ (glad I'm not on the "chicken cam") Lay

Edited by captain Russ (09/10/12 03:02 PM)

#350850 - 09/10/12 03:21 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Russ, here are a couple of 'on the fly' chord substitutions I often employ:

1) add a 'predominant' chord before a dominant 7th chord.
IIm - V7; IV - V7

2) Play a tri-tone (flat 5) chord substituton
Substitute Db7 for G7, F#7 for C7, etc, as these chord pairs share the same 3rd and 7th notes (a tri-tone interval) away notes.

There are many others as well and some of these are outlined here. Using chord substitutions can open the door to making a song more refreshing & uniquely yours. In addition to simply utilizing chord substitutions, it's the 'voicing' used (how you stack (invert) the notes of the chord) and the kind of (smooth) 'voice leading' played which can make or break a song. - Scott

#350851 - 09/10/12 03:34 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

I'd love to hear examples of these chord substitutions played....maybe then we can all learn something. personally I use all kind of chords in what ever way necessary to make the music sound good and let me enjoy performing it the way I like ....I was always a chord "Rebel" all my life never adhering to the charts.....there are no rules just good music I say.

Edited by Dnj (09/10/12 03:43 PM)

#351070 - 09/13/12 07:11 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: bruno123]

I just listened to the two Carrie Underwood pieces and then went back to George Duke. They're as different as night and day.

For the Carrie/Vince piece, it's all message and the superior guitar work of Vince. Inversions and chord substitutions don't come into play here. Vince does some very tasty variations on the lead line.

The George/Eric/Bloomburg pieces are all improvisation. You can just see that genius mind of Duke planning what he's going to do on the next pass.

Of course, Vince could step right in and trade fours with George. But, they both stick with what they know and love.

Little Carrie seams like a sweet little lady, but, in my opinion, at least, not much in the pure vocal talent department.

We're not talking "apples to apples" here.

It's similar to the entertainer vs. musician issue.

Please note, I'm making no comment about the religious content of the Carrie Underwood pieces, but concentrating on just the structure and possibilities of using the substitution/inversion ideas we are talking about.

Russ

#351074 - 09/13/12 08:24 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]

Dennis, glad to hear someone (not surprised it's you) mention Charlie Hunter. When I realize that he's plying simultaneous bass on that monster guitar, I just shake my head. Went to hear him a couple of times. WOW!

R.

#351077 - 09/13/12 09:12 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Dennis, glad to hear someone (not surprised it's you) mention Charlie Hunter. When I realize that he's plying simultaneous bass on that monster guitar, I just shake my head. Went to hear him a couple of times. WOW!

R.

LOL!!! Russ you meant Diki, yes? wink

Dennis

#351082 - 09/13/12 11:40 AM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: bruno123]

My bad! It is Diki who mentioned Charlie Hunter.

That certainly doesn't surprise me, and I believe Dennis is a prime candidate for knowing who he is, also.

Old eyes!

R.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online