SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#350690 - 09/08/12 12:33 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
This is a good topic (chord substitution) and something I'm always trying to brush up on. I have a few "stock" formula type things that work well for intros and endings. Here's one I was working on this morning for the tune "shawdow of your smile".

Instead of ending right on the "I" chord the following chromatic ending sounds really nice:

bV IV III bIII II bII I

All the chords are dominant (sounds nice with altered notes like sharp 9's,13th's, sharp 11's...)

So in the key of G this would be: Db7, C7, B7, A7, Abmaj9, G maj

I learned some real nice blues progression that break away from the I, IV, V chords. If anybody is interested I could try to a copy.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#350691 - 09/08/12 12:36 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
here's a book that I really enjoy and it has given many great ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/Intros-Endings-Tur...ds+john+valerio

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#350692 - 09/08/12 12:59 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Little boy said, "mommy, when I grow up I want to be a musician".

"You can't do both, son", replied the mom.

Enjoyed all your contributions.

I can't imagine a musical world where we stop improving and learning.

The country thing....love Rory and Vince...HATE most of the music. Players of that stature can "out jazz" me with one hand tied behind their back.

Everyone needs to decide what they want to play and ....DO IT!

For me, that means NO COUNTRY MUSIC....at least no modern country.

But, hey, I love to hear Don do country. OK to listen to it done well, just bores me to play it. But again Donny is an entertainer and does what he can sell to his public...nothing wrong with that. Wish I had just a little entertainer in my soul...I DON'T.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it
(Ending with an Eflatmaj7+9-deep bow)

SO THERE!

R.

#350694 - 09/08/12 02:32 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just think Donny often confuses us here with his audience... drink

As MUSICIANS, shouldn't we be more aware of what is fatuous pablum, to divert and entertain the unstudied, and what is great music, with thought and heart and skill behind it..?

Now, don't get me wrong... There is country music I admire and respect. And there is jazz (especially smooth jazz and the worst of the bigband years) that I abhor. But when you play out the averages, let's just say, you have to look a LOT harder down the country charts to find something that has anything but money as its motivating factor!

But that puts it squarely down Donny's favorite motivation, I guess!

#350699 - 09/08/12 03:35 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
what do you guys do for transitions??

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#350703 - 09/08/12 05:12 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I find good stuff in almost every type of music. I am talking about how the music effects your emotion. Some country makes me want to get up and dance, I find it exciting. But I also find beauty in a waltz; not so much in a polka. Listen to the music in a movie – it set you in their mood.

Progressions:
Throughout all music you will find a V7 – I progressions. This is so important if you are improvising or trying to memorize the chords of a song. This is one of the first steps in chord substitution. Try finding the V7 – I in a song.

Five foot two is an old song but it’s a good example of a V7 – I progression.
C E7 A7
Five foot two eyes of blue oh what those five could do has
D7 G7 C

anybody seen my gal

E7 to A7 is considered a V7- I A being a #1 chord.

The same for A7 – D7 D being #1

and again D7 – G7 and G7 – C all V7 – I progressions.

This is foundational for chord substations. Great for playing a great improvised lead to.

John C.

lyrics and chords may not be in the correct places.

#350707 - 09/08/12 06:29 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
not everyone likes jazz.....

Huh ... ??? the best musicians in all genres ( Rock, Blues & C&W etc ) all have a solid grounding in jazz fundamentals. You don't have to like jazz as such to understand that jazz requires a complete knowledge and understanding of music structure that applies to any style of music. And in relation to this thread it certainly applies to chord substitution.

But having said that ... how can anyone not like hot jazz playing that is the pinnacle of muscianship wink

#350710 - 09/08/12 07:25 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: Diki]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
And there is jazz (especially smooth jazz and the worst of the bigband years) that I abhor.

Please don't put down all "smooth jazz". There is music that is included under that "label" I absolutely love. Artists like Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Steely Dan, The Rippingtons, Spyra Gyra, Al Jarreau, George Benson, Weather Report and Acoustic Alchemy ( plus many others ) I just love and don't deserve to be dismissed because they get labeled as "smooth jazz". They are legitimate and acomplished musicians that produce extraordinary music.

#350712 - 09/08/12 08:22 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well since Nigel just listed a good chunk of my favorite players and groups, I guess I must be a 'smooth jazz' lover too (although I do agree with Donny on one point - that there is "good and bad in all music"). In fact, I like most forms of jazz with the possible exception of Dixieland and early Swing (big band or small group). Although I'm not a big fan of Big Band (with the exception of those great Count Basie bands - remember 'Count Basie Swings, Sinatra Sings' or all those memorable tracks with Joe Williams on vocals - also, he's my cousin on my Fathers side - honestly), they are unbelievable fun to play in (I played trumpet and horn in high school and college).

Although not as complex (and therefore more accessible) as traditional jazz (as exemplified by 'trane, Bird, Miles, Chick, et al), it still contains the main ingredients of good jazz, that is, rhythm, sophisticated chord structure, improvisation, and a degree of difficulty that weeds out the 'pretenders'.

Although I love Blues, I sometimes struggle with certain forms of it (like real authentic 'Mississippi Delta' or Zydeco). I think it's because of it's primitive roots that predate conventional musical rules. However, if Bo Didley can squeeze a 50yr career out of playing just ONE chord smile , I guess there's SOMEthing to it.

Hey, this is so far off script; so far only John C., Montunoman, and Brickboo have been able to stay on topic. Oh well, it IS Synthzone.

smile

chas

#350713 - 09/08/12 08:36 PM Re: Chord substitutions...? [Re: cgiles]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: cgiles
..............it still contains the main ingredients of good jazz, that is, rhythm, sophisticated chord structure, improvisation, and a degree of difficulty that weeds out the 'pretenders'.

chas

Now, no offence here, and I have he fullest respect for most here - including you Chas wink - but it is lines like this that cause the impression that Jazz folk ARE elitist, and snobby....and I have come across quite a few...sadly.

Just because someone cannot play the licks and chops as fast or as good as someone else should in NO way exclude them from playing and enjoying Jazz, whatever form it takes.

Maybe it was not intended, but it does come across that way imo.

The more playing it the better I reckon...and some of the "hardened pros" should maybe set back a while and at least give credit to the pretenders wink rather than "put-downs"....

Dennis

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online