SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#350257 - 09/03/12 01:51 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Cass,

I'm going to offer you a very simple solution. Download a copy of Audacity and install it in your PC.

Next, connect the output of your arranger keyboard's output to the PC's line-in on the sound card.

Connect your mic to your keyboard's mic input.

At this point you have two options:

1. You can play your midi file(s) directly from your keyboard in real time and record them using Audacity. This will automatically convert your midi file to an audio file during the recording process.

Then, for the vocals, merely record a second track while sing and the first track is being played back on the PC - it's that easy.

2. You can shorten the process by singing through the keyboard while the keyboard is playing the midi file, and record the song in one take by using either Audacity, or using the keyboard's recording system and saving the song as a .wav file on the USB drive.

In my case, I use a Zoom H2, record the song as a midi file in the keyboard and save it on the USB drive, or the keyboard's internal memory. Then, while the midi is playing, I do the vocals and record the entire song, one shot deal, on the H2, which saves it as a MP3 file. If I want to convert is to a .wav file, I use Windows Media Player and burn it to a CD for distribution to my clients and friends.

Nothing to it,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#350260 - 09/03/12 02:28 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice idea, except I think you have got the MP3 and .WAV process back to front, Gary. Record as .WAV's, then convert to MP3's LAST...

No point in unnecessarily restricting the audio fidelity until you HAVE to.

#350268 - 09/03/12 04:27 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
On the S910 on up, can't you record vocals this way?

1. Record your keyboard performance, and save as a .mid file.

2. Make any necessary adjustment that is needed for audio recording.

3.Play back that .mid song, and while you sing along, record and save it all as a .wav

This of course means you need to pre-balance sounds in the saved .mid as to not drown out the future recording of the singer. (Different than if you were recording and saving an Instrumental). Usually at a point in the song, the singer takes a break, and lets the 'band ' take over. At that point you need to up the volume of the instruments, until it's time for the vocalist to come back in. Some planning ahead will make for a decent recording, all on the keyboard. Of course it won't hurt to fine tune the .wav on a computer program, before saving as an .MP3

One pet peeve of mine (and probably many) is when the singer has this need to sing every note in a song, without letting the band have a solo turn. Somewhere, singers should always take a break in a performance. it makes the song and the singer much more professional like.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#350290 - 09/03/12 11:00 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Sure, you could probably do everything in the S910. But, given that the OP has already admitted to a dedicated USB-audio converter, is it the easiest OR the quickest..?

TBH, given the FAR better options for punching in and out, 'comping' a great take from several average ones, and the far better vocal pitch correction, compression EQ and reverb that computers offer, I'd say that doing your BV's in the computer is leaps and bounds ahead of doing it in the arranger.

I don't think the OP is looking for an 'arranger only' solution. Just whatever is easiest and more efficient for a given output quality. The S910 is a nice piece of kit... but it doesn't adequately substitute for a computer, DAW and audio interface, IMHO.

#350331 - 09/04/12 08:36 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: Diki]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Agree, I was just pointing out it is possible to record it all within the keyboard.
I personally record seperate tracks to a computer program, Mixcraft from Acoustica, and fine tune from there...what do you prefer Dikki?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#350353 - 09/04/12 01:37 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

I've been a Cubase man since the days of the Atari..!

Nowadays, I am stuck in OS9 limbo, because a large amount of my hardware (MOTU cards and UAD-1 cards) is PCI, and won't fit in modern computers, but it does the job I need it to, will track 24 tracks simultaneously, and do most of the EQ, comp and reverb work on the UAD's, so my processor rarely gets stressed.

I have an up to date iMac 27" for general computer duties, but having to be forced to buy new hardware, which would be several thousand to upgrade, relegates it to mostly internet duties currently.

#350458 - 09/05/12 04:28 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thank you everyone. Gary, I'm going to download Audacity and try that route. I'm also going to experiment with recording directly to the s910.

#350601 - 09/07/12 07:46 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Casp,

Sorry, its a late reply on this one but thought I`ll share it anyway.

I came across this link Solmire which does it online and there are some parameters which you can change : Soundsource(soundfont to be used), effects etc.
Do give it a try !!

Warm Regards,
Jez

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online