Topic Options
#350429 - 09/05/12 09:34 AM Re: New Roland Rack - WITH THE LOT!!! [Re: miden]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
A lot of these units promise so much, but perhaps in the end

they will be padded out with a lot of "wooden" old stock

sounds.

Perhap I may be wrong, just my thoughts, maybe sour grapes as I

cant afford a $2000 rack unit at this time.

Frank

#350448 - 09/05/12 03:40 PM Re: New Roland Rack - WITH THE LOT!!! [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd pay attention to the loading aspects of it. You can't have more than 4 SRX expansion cards loaded at a time... that seems to imply you need to load the SRX card IN ITS ENTIRETY just for one sound. Not very efficient. Personally, I think they should have simply added all the waveforms to the basic ROM chips and not made you jump through this unnecessary hoop.

It also appears that not all the SuperNatural Tones are loaded from the git-go (look at the SRX loading splash screen), so once again, not all sounds will be available instantly, and not all sounds can reside actively at the same time.

There seem to be quite a few 'gotchas' if you look carefully.

The weird thing is, how many of these sounds are already in current and previous gen Roland arrangers. So many of you are gushing over this, yet somehow weren't exactly glowing about the arrangers! To my ears, this sounds like a Roland. Not exactly a radical departure from the G70/BK-7m sound I am already used to.

There's some nice synth stuff, and a few (but not many, IMO) of the SupNat voices are good, but the core of it is Roland, all the way.

Why are opinions so different? Or is it simply 'new gear syndrome'?

#350465 - 09/05/12 04:57 PM Re: New Roland Rack - WITH THE LOT!!! [Re: miden]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Diki, you really are quite negative sometimes....man I swear, if you won a million dollars you'd complain that it wasn't a million and a half!!!!

#350507 - 09/06/12 06:10 AM Re: New Roland Rack - WITH THE LOT!!! [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Some would say negative, some would say 'realistic'.

There's always a mad rush of enthusiasm here for almost ANYTHING new, and often, a lot of practical details get lost in the gushing. All I try to do is shed a little light on some of the aspects of new gear that may have been missed in the glow.

You know, I have always been exceptionally careful about gear purchases, and have managed to leverage that into being content with my choices for many years past what most here seem to find satisfying. And, if being realistic and skeptical is what has enabled that, I am happy to be labeled 'negative'.

It has saved me a fortune over the years, and left me with gear that still sounds as good as most contemporary gear after many years of use. I am still amazed at what my K2500S can do, I have yet to hear a modern arranger that makes me want to bail on my G70, my vintage Triton Classic still nails that Korg 'flava'...

Being aware of what a piece of gear's drawbacks are BEFORE the urge to buy it can make you open your heart and your wallet to it is good fiscal sense! I am only too aware that no-one is ever going to give me even a million dollars, let alone a million and a half!

#350510 - 09/06/12 09:46 AM Re: New Roland Rack - WITH THE LOT!!! [Re: miden]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Fair enough smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online