SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#350377 - 09/04/12 04:28 PM Re: New Yamaha Premium Styles from late August 2012 [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Leigh,

I found that the programmers for a lot of the DOO styles were trying for a more aggressive sound overall, and tried to achieve it by attempting to work with the balance (or mix) of the style parts.

I have rescued quite a few to work for my needs by more judicious use of panning, and carefully adjusting the volume, EQ, Effects, and Filter for individual style parts. Thankfully, on the Yamaha's, this is pretty easy.

On the DOO styles, it seems they just boosted the overall volume.

Ian

PS...not all the DOO styles were bad...there were also quite a few that were very well done.

#350421 - 09/05/12 06:45 AM Re: New Yamaha Premium Styles from late August 2012 [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Lets face it Yamaha styles are geared for the older adult
ex organ home player/ballroom dancers compared to anything you would hear today on the charts, but hey, that's their strength and selling point for arrangers,......keeping the two camps separate Arranger/WS is good marketing strategy which in turn sells more units world wide, more choice more money,........the younger generation doesn't want to know premium Rumba styles, especially in the USA, etc, etc,... all the tools are available out there to make great music....and you don't need automatic styles to do that.....a good pro will just create track by track the music they need on any good WS..."THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO SOUND".....and that is what is driving "TODAYS" Music, coupled with computers the sky is the limit, creating your own tracks allows the musician to be so creative in every component of the music for a professional player, create your own bass lines, horn stabs, sax solos, string sections, drum solos, etc..its doesnt have to be repetitive style play,.. Auto arranger style play is OK and has had it's time and is still available to use for the right audiences, & home affectionatos,but, there's no denying the truth on what's out there in the music world TODAY. Take the blinders off and it will open your eyes to a whole new world of music. headphone

Edited by Dnj (09/05/12 06:48 AM)

#350432 - 09/05/12 10:49 AM Re: New Yamaha Premium Styles from late August 2012 [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Lets face it Yamaha styles are geared for the older adult
ex organ home player/ballroom dancers compared to anything you would hear today on the charts, but hey, that's their strength and selling point for arrangers,......keeping the two camps separate Arranger/WS is good marketing strategy which in turn sells more units world wide, more choice more money,........the younger generation doesn't want to know premium Rumba styles, especially in the USA, etc, etc,... all the tools are available out there to make great music....and you don't need automatic styles to do that.....a good pro will just create track by track the music they need on any good WS..."THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO SOUND".....and that is what is driving "TODAYS" Music, coupled with computers the sky is the limit, creating your own tracks allows the musician to be so creative in every component of the music for a professional player, create your own bass lines, horn stabs, sax solos, string sections, drum solos, etc..its doesnt have to be repetitive style play,.. Auto arranger style play is OK and has had it's time and is still available to use for the right audiences, & home affectionatos,but, there's no denying the truth on what's out there in the music world TODAY. Take the blinders off and it will open your eyes to a whole new world of music. headphone

I'm 50 years old, and I'm not an expert on the newest music, but I hear a lot of Yamaha styles in the dance and pop category that to my ears do reflect the newest sounds and even more that's great for today's adult contemporary music.

I think that Yamaha's arrangers have something in it for everyone, but there's no denying that there is a greater breadth of styles for older music.

And I want to again defend Yamaha Premium Styles from those who flamed the styles this thread is about. If you like '60's and '70's, you're probably going to like those styles. The Premium Styles are almost always seamlessly produced and take advantage of the keyboard's best voices.

They are too expensive though. I won't defend Yamaha there.

#350446 - 09/05/12 03:24 PM Re: New Yamaha Premium Styles from late August 2012 [Re: Beakybird]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Beakybird
And I want to again defend Yamaha Premium Styles from those who flamed the styles this thread is about. If you like '60's and '70's, you're probably going to like those styles. The Premium Styles are almost always seamlessly produced and take advantage of the keyboard's best voices.

They are too expensive though. I won't defend Yamaha there.

And there are only TWO...

With mere MIDI styles costing this much, anyone want to take a wild guess as to what they are going to charge for audio drum styles for the new PSR's?

After all, with only 25 or so in a 400+ style arranger, you are sure going to want a boatload more of them if they are any good!

How long, at this pace of production, do you think it is going to take before you are content?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online