SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#350122 - 09/01/12 07:37 AM Recording....
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Hi guys,

Do you think its better when I record a video that I monitor with my headphones?

At the moment I record the song playing through my PAX3 speaker but that is Mono. So If I use my headphones it should help me with my levels in stereo.

Does that make sense?

Matty

#350125 - 09/01/12 07:52 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would your PA3X speakers be mono?
Maybe I'm missing something.
DonM

#350126 - 09/01/12 07:56 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
MattyB Offline

No I mean i think I would be able to clearly here the mix in the headphones stereo....than the Pax speaker...Sorry If I dont make sense!

#350127 - 09/01/12 07:59 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
DonM Offline

Well, as you know, nothing sounds better than hearing the PA3X though headphones. Give it a try and see if you like doing it that way, and see if the results are as good or better.
I'll be anxious to hear what you achieve!
DonM

#350128 - 09/01/12 08:16 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: DonM]
MattyB Offline

Thanks Don...I will give it a try for my next song smile

#350143 - 09/01/12 03:15 PM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Matty:

I never use the speakers on my old Yamaha PSR-2000. Headphones let you hear your vocals much better. I would advise experimenting with your machine to find the best setting for your vocal volume versus the style volume... and on some styles, you'll need to adjust the individual volume of drums, bass, etc. to get the entire mix cooking just right.

Best of luck. Glad to have you here at the Zone.

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#350167 - 09/02/12 03:45 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Does your video recorder have an audio in?

Generally, videos shot using speakers and the built in mikes sound inferior, what with being played though sub-standard speakers, and the room acoustics being picked up and coloring the sound badly.

If your video recorder has any kind of stereo mike/line in jacks, take the direct output of the arranger or mixer and feed that to the video recorder. It will sound night and day better than the mikes.

Take the time to make sure you are not overloading the inputs, listen carefully for any distortion or 'pumping' in levels, as the camcorders auto volume leveling messes with the signal.

Alternatively, if you have a digital recorder (one of those cheap Zoom recorders works well), shoot the video using the mikes, but run the Zoom at the same time. Then, in the computer, use some video editing software to throw away the camcorder's audio, and fly in the Zoom's audio to replace it with.

I think Frank used this system when he made some of the first user demos of the Audya.

It's always well worth checking, if you haven't bought a video recorder yet, that it has aux audio ins of some kind. As musicians, getting good audio onto our videos is FAR more important than a bunch of fancy video features...

#350186 - 09/02/12 12:07 PM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
DonM Offline

I ordered a Kodak Z18 last week because it has audio input. I'm looking forward to doing some videos with good sound.
DonM

#350208 - 09/02/12 10:17 PM Re: Recording.... [Re: Diki]
MattyB Offline

I record my song on my keyboard..and film it. Then I get the audio from the keybaord to my laptop and record it in Audcity. I then uplaod the video and sync the video and audio together.

I'm thinking now I will need to get a better soundcard for the recording of Audio.. frown

#350218 - 09/03/12 12:00 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Don

Can't wait to see you and the Pa3x,

Just a couple of tips. If you use the hedphone output of the Pa3x into the Zi8 you need to drop the output level or it tends to distort. You can lower the level using the camera settings but it resets everytime you switch the camera on, a real pain. I use a small volume control in the out put cable. A wide angle lens and a remote control are also very useful.

Best of luok.

Col

#350238 - 09/03/12 07:38 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: MattyB]
MattyB Offline

Guys,

Do you think its easier if I just record the audio on my keyboard, save it to the USB then upload it to my laptop and sync to the video? I wont lose any quality that way would I?

#350242 - 09/03/12 08:38 AM Re: Recording.... [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Don

Can't wait to see you and the Pa3x,

Just a couple of tips. If you use the hedphone output of the Pa3x into the Zi8 you need to drop the output level or it tends to distort. You can lower the level using the camera settings but it resets everytime you switch the camera on, a real pain. I use a small volume control in the out put cable. A wide angle lens and a remote control are also very useful.

Best of luok.

Col

I will mostly run the audio from my mixer, so will have control of it.
Thanks,
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online