SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#349998 - 08/30/12 03:26 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: Beakybird]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Beakybird

I hope they added a TALK ON/OFF switch that used to be on earlier keyboards. I hate having to go into sub-menus

Beaky - write a registration with the talk feature enabled, then you can call up that reg between songs beforeyoucall upthenextsong!

#349999 - 08/30/12 03:35 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

I hope they added a TALK ON/OFF switch that used to be on earlier keyboards. I hate having to go into sub-menus

Beaky - write a registration with the talk feature enabled, then you can call up that reg between songs beforeyoucall upthenextsong!

Wow! Great tip, Dave. I'm not sure if the Vocal Harmony II on the S950 has a seperate "Talk" button as on the Tyros4...this is a cool workaround.

Ian

#350000 - 08/30/12 03:36 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Or, you can just assign the talk on/off to a foot pedal.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#350003 - 08/30/12 04:44 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: George Kaye]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
So I assume they wont be using the Tyros / Motif FSX keybed BUT.... if they use the MOX 6 keybed it will be soooooooo much better than the standard mushy / shallow / thin PSR S910 keys!!

Overall Keyboard looks good and very glad Black is back across the board but still very disappointing to see they are still using the rubber buttons!

Nick

#350006 - 08/30/12 07:35 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: ygmusic]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Not sure if the image posted is... what it is. I say that because something just doesn't seem right, maybe it's the data wheel location, or the buttons, not exactly sure, and it could be me just being skeptical, but perhaps those that know for sure could verify that this indeed is what the PSR950 looks like.

It's definetly not a high resoultion photo, perhaps intentional, so we can't zoom in and get an up close look before the official release.

Regardless, it's exciting news from Yamaha for sure. laugh

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#350007 - 08/30/12 07:43 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

You cannot save TALK ON/OFF to a registration.

You can save TALK ON/OFF to a pedal setting, but I use one pedal for Vocal Harmonizer ON/OFF and the other for FILL-TO-SELF. I have a third pedal that I have plugged into a MIDI controller that I use for sustain.

Short of having a TALK ON/OFF button and the desired LED that shows whether it's on or off like the Tyros models have, it's easiest for me to press a couple of buttons to do the trick.

#350015 - 08/30/12 09:33 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: ianmcnll]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Don,

The Audio drums were amazing and were what impressed me the most. Smooth seamless transitions through all Variations and Fills.

I'd rather not give any other specific personal opinions at least until the instruments are available to the public, as some here may feel that I might be tad biased. wink

I'm sure Frankie ( http://www.AudioworksCT.com ) and George Kaye will be able to add more once they hear them in person.

Ian

I think that I will start saving for this baby.
If the audio drums are even close to the Audya ones and you can replace MIDI drums with Audio drums in any style, then Ketron is in trouble.

#350017 - 08/30/12 10:38 PM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: Machetero]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: Machetero
...If the audio drums are even close to the Audya ones and you can replace MIDI drums with Audio drums in any style, then Ketron is in trouble...

Nah my friend,

The Audya is much, much more than audio drums only. And it's drums are streamed direct from the HD. So are all other audio parts. Beeeeg difference!

I came from Yamaha. I now have an Audya. Ketron will NEVER be in any trouble, they are just too far ahead. Remember, this is four years later...But then, you can NEVER understand or appreciate this fact until you own an Audya yourself.

I honestly love the Yamahas and have only good things to say about them. If I did not have an Audya, I might have shared in all this excitement.

But the Audya is simply in a league of it's own, and the guys over at Ketron are not sitting back on their laurels. They will always be the leaders in this field.

The S950 will most definitely be another STUNNING arranger. But it will also most definitely not be a suitable Audya replacement.

Anyway, back onto topic. I just HAD to correct your statement. Sorry for the Hijack! Let's only discuss the new Yamaha PSR S950 over here like George intended. We can discuss the mine against yours stuff seperately, but as always, it will not be a good idea.

The new audio drums & multipads are most definitely a HUGE improvement. Couple that to the HUGE library of styles available everywhere and Yamaha definitely has yet another winner here with good sales to come as proof. Lets face it, Yamahas sell!!!

Keep well all,

Henni

#350028 - 08/31/12 03:22 AM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The 'doo be dooby doo' voices are nothing to do with audio loop technology. They are simply regular SA2 type Voices, Donny, that the style plays.

I think Yamaha are on the right track, TBH... The technology to play chordal and melodic lines isn't QUITE there yet, as Ketron's inability to play more than simple Maj/Min/7th in audio and has to add in MIDI notes to complete the extensions kind of shows.

But for drums and percussion, the idea is great. And, for multipads, if you like the 'loop/arp' kind of modern music, a LOT of very contemporary flava could be dropped in, as long as you understand, just like most loop music, that the pitch of the loop can't be adjusted. It's not going to chord follow, but that isn't really the main thing with that kind of music.

For audio loop technology with time stretching (so you can at least change tempo somewhat) to come to this price point is quite a game changer. If anyone can pull it off, Yamaha can. But I have a very nasty feeling they are going to mess it up by trying to make it proprietary, just like their arranger and WS samplers. Just about every OTHER WS and at least Korg arrangers sampler sections can read Akai multisample loads (and some do Soundfont). This makes the selection of proper multisample libraries relatively easy to load up.

But Yamaha have a proprietary multisample format. Sure, you can load in .Wav's one at a time. But a vel-switched drum kit can be HUNDREDS of separate samples. Or a four layer piano (88 notesX4 layers+resonance samples). Yamaha would make you load them in one at a time, and do the mappings yourself. IN-FREAKIN'-SANE!

Let us just pray that sanity returns to their poor crazy minds!

If they try to milk this cow dry by making you have to buy Yamaha branded drum loops, well, look at the style selection. A few every few months, then nothing! That is not going to make this the success it could be.

Pray with me, fellas, pray with me!

#350030 - 08/31/12 03:41 AM Re: Yamaha just announced new PSRS950 & PSRS750 [Re: FransN]
jazzhooves Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: FransN
Hmm no touch screen? That's a deal breaker.

If a touch screen is what makes you buy a keyboard, then that is an odd choice. Most people buy based on what it sounds like... Maybe a HP computer would be a better choice if you want a touch screen rotfl

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online