SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#349802 - 08/28/12 06:21 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
leezone Offline

i hear the "new" Yamaha DXR line is AWESOME...
and many prefer over the QSC K's
i have the HPR12's, plus a pair of 181W subs

as far as the Yamaha's i have not heard them but was gonna buy 1 10" for monitors, and/or speech only function

i LOVE that 3 channel mixer on the back of Yamaha,
makes them quite versatile

i guess i'll wait for these new QSC maybe the 8"
and compare to Yamaha's DXR 8" or 10",
probably the DXR 10" as the 8" cannot be wedged :-)

Edited by leezone (08/28/12 06:23 AM)

#349806 - 08/28/12 09:03 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: leezone]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Don't overlook Electro-Voice. Crystal clear and smooth lows from the ZX line. Passive zx1's (8") and sb122 subs (12") give you more and weigh less. If you prefer powered go with zxa1 sub (12")and zxa1 tops (8"). $600 for powered sub and $500 for satellite. Review in Musician's Friend catalog just in. Descriptions, specs, snd engineering data sheets here (SB122 sub under SX series):

EV

#349807 - 08/28/12 10:07 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I also can recommend the M-Audio GSR series. Has LOTS of positive user feedback (not store/manufacturer generated) so I took a punt.

They sound really sweet and are the FIRST PA set I have bought that did not need any tweaking (including the mighty Bose L1 model I and II) out of the box.

Simply set them up turned them on and began to play. And the price is astounding!!!!

I did buy two tops and the sub, but so far I am only using a mono system 1 top and 1 sub...sounds brilliant. Better imo to the Bose.

jm2c

#349811 - 08/28/12 10:53 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
How can we compare a 15" speaker to a 12" ?
In theory the 15 would have more power? or more bottom?
I would prefer to buy speakers in this order of importance 1-weight,2-power-3-price

#349812 - 08/28/12 10:58 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: vangelis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
EV knows what they're doing. Their 12" sub does better than others' 15's. They also get 12" performance from their 8" zx1's. Just go hear them- they have the technology-they have rebuilt them....

#349820 - 08/28/12 01:43 PM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Mackies of course are not shipping yet so there isn't a way to know how they will sound. They are taking stuff from their EAW line and using it in the Mackie lines.

The one thing that really stands out above the size, is that they are a co-ax design, which has always sounded better than a traditional horn and woofer. The number game does look like it's being played here too.

I carry
Yamaha DXR and DSR lines
HK Audio Elements
FBT and RCF.

The new Yamaha DXR are a direct competitor with the QSC K boxes, but with a slightly lower price point. I have A/B'd them both, and for the less money, the DXR wins

the HK Elements does the portable line array set-up that can be scaled to what you need.

But I think Mackie might be on to something, they kept the price very competitive and with new ideas, as long as the sound is good, and they are reliable, I expect to sell allot of these guys.

I should be getting my order of DL series mixers in the next couple of weeks.

#349833 - 08/28/12 07:31 PM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: Bill Lewis]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Just curious, what were you running through those Yamaha DXR10's ? I like them because of the built in 3 channel mixer and stereo link feature. Plus yamaha quality.
Thanks

Bill...
Here was my set up for the wedding reception on Saturday.

Signal Chain...
Yamaha Motif ES7 - Piano Sounds and Full Sequences
Sonar VS-100 - WAV files on SD playing sequences from older workstations
CD Player
iPod from the Bride
Apple Mac Book Pro running iTunes using a Tascam US-122 Interface
Shure Beta58a Male vocal (me)
Audio Technica 3000 series wireless vocal (my wife)
Line 6 Wireless for speeches.

All went into the Mackie DFX12 mixer
No processors direct into the DXR10 via the XLR... one left and one right.

Played all types of music through the night. Not a big dancing crowd but still played some modern dance stuff. A bunch of country line dancing songs. Those 10" little speakers did extremely well on the low end. Outdoors, I could have used a sub but it was raining off and on and the power was limited. We were under a tent but when the bass was pumping at the end, the rope light we had on faded during the kick drums.

I own...
RCF ART 312a (Main Speakers for big gigs)
RCF ART 310a (Monitors or Main for smaller gigs)
Yamaha MSR100 (Use at church for contemporary service)

The RCF speakers sound great, that's why I bought them. I do need to tweek them a bit because the mid range they produce. The Yamaha DXR10 sound great on there own with out any type of processing. At $599 a box, they are the better choice over the K10. If they were available when I bought my RCF 310a, I would have picked the Yamaha DXR10.

~Johnathan
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#349874 - 08/29/12 11:06 AM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
leezone Offline

HILARIOUS youtube clip on these...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDRLmH9xCQ[/youtube]

Edited by leezone (08/29/12 11:06 AM)

#349907 - 08/29/12 04:44 PM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida

#349909 - 08/29/12 04:47 PM Re: New Mackie Loudspeakers, coaxil design [Re: frankieve]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
What has my interest piqued is the Mackie digital mixer platform that uses your iPad...

Looks really cool...one could buy a used iPAd 2 and have a 2nd iPad for the mixer...can't find it out here yet though, and who knows what the pricing will be out here??!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online