SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349590 - 08/23/12 05:26 PM bk5 and what i have features
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hi everyone,
i've been looking at the bk5 (demos,youtube stuff) and the specs. so what i did is i use my old(and i do mean old) korg i5s recorded a blues riff into power tracks. the band is the korg i5s and the lead is emu proteus vx software (one of the b3
samples. converted from wav. to mp3 . my computer is an old ibm p4 2 gig of ram. i uploaded it to 4shared.com. here's the link.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/WeWChc8h/hammondtest_82312.html

it took me less than 5 mins to do. the recording is as is, no after mixing.
so i'm wondering if the move to the bk would be worth it. still might order it.
i know the spec of the roland bk5. but i'm on the fence about buying it as i'm now retired and really don't need another keyboard.i also have a psr 1000 . thanks for letting me talk.
dave

#349595 - 08/23/12 06:50 PM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
4shared make you sign up to listen.

I would simply wait until you have an opportunity to PLAY a BK5 to make your decision. I don't know if you have noticed, but impartial opinion on this forum is about as rare as unicorn's blood!

Yamaha owners will tell you that you need to get a Yamaha, Korg users will tout their Korg's, and Roland users will tell you you need to get one of them. Not exactly going to help, is it?!

You might be better served fine-tuning your goals, and your needs. What KIND of music are you probably most likely to want to play? Each manufacturer seems to be a hair better at one style or another than the rest. TBH, I think this is THE most important question to ask.

The next thing might be to narrow down what the type of sounds you tend to use are. Are you primarily a pianist, an organist, a synth player or do you prefer horn emulation? Again, each manufacturer does each of these better or worse than the others.

Next might be, do you tend to use a very wide selection of styles, or were you happy with just a few really good ones? Again, different manufacturers, different results.

A bit more info goes a long way towards getting a lot less biased an answer, especially here!

#349596 - 08/23/12 07:15 PM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Dave you actually answered your own question "I don't really need another keyboard"

I do agree with Diki on the kind of music you like to play may lead you in the right direction. Just be prepared to spend big bucks on a top of the line arranger.

For those who do not have a 4shared account, I have posted Dave's MP3 directly to this thread. (Hope that's OK)

BTW, Nice Hammond sound

Attachments
hammondtest 82312.mp3 (20 downloads)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#349631 - 08/24/12 08:06 AM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

thanks for the tips. i'm also leaning towards a new laptop setup.
since i only play at our club house once a year or so. the music i play is old standards, 60 70 and 80's music. i already have band in the box,one man band, power tracks, korg style to midi. and the interfaces to make it work. since i'm retired from the business, i'm just playing my keybords for the fun. and thanks for posting the mp3.
i didn't know you had to sign up to listen , oops. i've had a tyros, pa80,roland va76 ,rhodes & wurlizter pianos, moogs, and a b3. all of the above keyboards were great. but none of them inspires me to play, except for the b3 and the roland va76 was real nice. i know alot of this is not the keyboards but it's me. still migh order the bk and try it . thanks

#349638 - 08/24/12 09:35 AM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Wrinkles, First of all that was a real nice blues demo.I'm not sure if the BK5 would sound better than what your allready working with but it is light weight and easy to transport. I think Bill Lewis review is spot on... Good luck and keep posting your music!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#349646 - 08/24/12 01:02 PM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am quite sure that a modern BOTL/MOTL arranger WILL sound considerably better than what you currently have. And, if you thought the VA76 was real nice, you are going to be amazed by what the BOTL Roland's can do and sound like.

An awful lot of improvement has happened since the days of the i-series. Multi-velocity drum sounds have brought a dimension of dynamics streets ahead of older arrangers, and the guitars are also massively improved.

I find the Roland styles very inspiring to play over... I have always felt that they leave a real 'player' just the right amount of room to play over without being swamped or left naked. Possibly one of the reasons I have stuck with Roland's for so long.

There is a LOT from the VA76 in the BK's... they were the start of the move away from the GS 'Sound Canvas' based arrangers, towards the more modern sounds that current Roland's have. Some of the drumkits are lifted pretty lock stock and barrel from the VA76.

I think, if you really liked your VA76, you will be amazed at how close the BK5 can sound, at a fraction of the price!

#349659 - 08/24/12 04:16 PM Re: bk5 and what i have features [Re: wrinkles303]
wrinkles303 Offline

thanks, you've got me thinking maybe ordering monday. after all they have a great return policy. also the bk has the updated computer stuff, like usb etc as opposed to floppy and zip drives.
i wouldn't miss the touch screen to much. and i love the weight. i paid around 2000.00 dollars for the va76. but that was nine years ago. so you've peaked my interest. i just wish there was a place to hear some of the styles of the music i play. looks like i'm gonna have to auditon this puppy in person. thanks for the feedback

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online