SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#349634 - 08/24/12 08:45 AM I Need help finding a good stand for standing
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have not posted much about this here but on the 29th I am having surgery for a very serious Cervical Spinal Stenosis condition. What I am told is it will take up to a year for a full recovery and I must be very careful about what I do and how I do it.

All my playing days I have sat while playing but now I will have to stand so as not to bend my head forward while playing. What I need is a really good stand that will not only raise the keyboard up but also slant it towards me a bit. Because I won't be able to lift a lot of weight it needs to be as light as possible.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Deane

Edited by hammer (08/24/12 08:46 AM)

#349653 - 08/24/12 03:10 PM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Deane, sorry to hear about your back; but I do like how you’re heading in a new direction and will standing instead of sitting. Keep going my friend and this too shall pass.

John C.

#349658 - 08/24/12 03:58 PM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Deane,

From the way it sounds, standing would be a solution. However, a keyboard stand that tilted toward the player would solve your problem - even while sitting.

click here

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#349660 - 08/24/12 04:26 PM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Bruno,
Thank you. I guess it is worth a try.

Gary,
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Deane

#349678 - 08/25/12 07:49 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessori...nd?src=3WWRWXGP

Maybe design your own with the A frames we used from the old days...

#349682 - 08/25/12 08:53 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Old days! I still use a couple of them, though I've customized them quite a bit. Can't find anything better.
Donm

#349687 - 08/25/12 10:13 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Old days! I still use a couple of them, though I've customized them quite a bit. Can't find anything better.
Donm

Don I agree love using an A-frame stand....BUT,.. in the real world of daily gigging as I do it's not practical to set up and tear down constantly when time is an issue.....but if you an in house player or studio nothing beats their versatility for KB's, modules, gadgets,boom mic, etc, all set up right in front of you ..

#349688 - 08/25/12 10:49 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Deane:

Wow, I knew you had a similar problem but was unaware that surgery was in the picture... and now it's done. Use extreme caution, my friend. My MRI last week was done in two areas, head and spine. The head is okay, hooray, I have a brain... but the neck area is a problem and may be the culprit causing the persistent tingling sensation in the fingers of both hands.

I'm going to do my best to avoid surgery unless there are no other options.

I sure like the appearance of the kb stand Gary recommended. Let us know if you try it.

Darn, getting old is not for sissies, eh?

All the best,

Dave Rice

Edited by Riceroni9 (08/25/12 10:50 AM)

#349693 - 08/25/12 02:17 PM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Hi Glen,
Well, I have had numbness and tingling now for nearly 6 months. Took me nearly a month to get in to see a really outstanding doctor. I have done the MRI, CT, XRay and also the nerve conduction tests. All say the same thing in that I have a very severe case of Cervical Spinal Stenosis with degenerative disk disease. From C2 through C6 it is a real mess so surgery is the only option for a possible fix.

You really don't want to wait and see what happens with this. If your test indicate a stenosis it would be smart to get something done soon. If you wait to long there can be nor-reversable nerve damage - not good!

Later,
Deane

#349708 - 08/26/12 09:33 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: hammer
I have not posted much about this here but on the 29th I am having surgery for a very serious Cervical Spinal Stenosis condition. What I am told is it will take up to a year for a full recovery and I must be very careful about what I do and how I do it.
Deane

Deane ... can't help with stand advice, but want to wish you a very successful surgery and a rapid, full recovery ...
You will be in our prayers ...

Edited by tony mads usa (08/26/12 09:34 AM)

#349723 - 08/26/12 06:18 PM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: DonM
Donm

Don I agree love using an A-frame stand....BUT,.. in the real world of daily gigging as I do it's not practical to set up and tear down constantly when time is an issue.....but if you an in house player or studio nothing beats their versatility for KB's, modules, gadgets,boom mic, etc, all set up right in front of you ..

I don't disassemble mine. I just fold it flat and put it on top of the other gear. I also have a small one I built myself out of old parts that folds flat and takes very little room. Sets up in seconds.
Drive over and check 'em out!
DonM

#349953 - 08/30/12 03:00 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you really need to immobilize your head THAT much and can't sit down and play, surely even driving to the gig is going to be more of a problem than the gig itself?

The one thing I might suggest is a visit to a GOOD piano teacher, and perhaps talk about your sitting posture. So many of us develop bad habits over the years, and slump over the keyboard, hang our heads down, etc., and having a professional take a look at it and maybe work on it with you would allow you to still remain seated.

I stood and played for most of my career, and I don't think it ever helped me stay stiller!

#349970 - 08/30/12 06:24 AM Re: I Need help finding a good stand for standing [Re: hammer]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I echo Tony Mads' sentiments, and add that you could probably just add an adjustable second tier to your current stand. They are available for most stands 'Z', 'X' etc. and it would seem to be the most economical way to go.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online