SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349408 - 08/20/12 04:20 PM My quick review of the HK Nano 300
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Just got the first shipment in today.

First impression was, man this box is small. Opened it up and it was even smaller.

As I started to hook it up I felt myself thinking, is this really going to be able to make enough bottom end?

Since the Bose Compact was bigger it just felt like it would give more.

So hooked it up to a PA3x and was quickly blown away by how much bottom end there was, almost too much. The Nano allows to adjustments, there is a 1 knob on each channel that for less technical terms is somewhat of a tone control, but does much more than that. Then there is a master sub level to better mix in with the Satellites.

So after some adjustments, I am very pleased. I think a 2 set-up would be more that enough for even the bigger rooms.

The Nano also has the ability to be a mono system or Stereo from just one system, or expanded to 2 systems with a greater left/right experience, all controlled through the 1 unit

Now the bad points.

I don't like how you need to purchase or atleast use a microphone stand or pole to get the satellites to ear level, that means another thing to buy, or atleast carry, which you have to with the Bose also.

Once removed from the Nano Bass, you need to use a cable to get signal to the Satellites, which just makes for 1 more thing to do, not awful but would have been nice if the made the connection through the pole piece that went into the top of the Nano Bass Cab

I would have like a little more ability to play with the sound, maybe an overall EQ but I guess I'm getting too picky.

Now this next point is a good and a bad. The compact has mulitple drivers firing everywhere, which in a very open room or outdoors will give a very wide coverage, but because of this you tend to get a sacrifice on the midrange, where either bouncy off of walls and the mis-allignment of drivers, will peak the midrange too much, and you start to lose the fullnes sound.

the Nano does not have that full spread coverage, but does not suffer from that midrangy peak sound, coverage can still be done by firing the 2 satelittes into different angles but once again needs to be done correctly.

#349417 - 08/20/12 08:10 PM Re: My quick review of the HK Nano 300 [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Frank nice review...

#349473 - 08/21/12 09:30 AM Re: My quick review of the HK Nano 300 [Re: frankieve]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Frank:

I second Donnie's motion. Nice review. When you've had your hands on experience with the Korg microArranger for awhile, I'd like to compare notes with you. The manual leaves a great deal to be desired... however, I was never recognized as being a genius, either... LOL!

All the best,

Dave Rice

#349509 - 08/21/12 09:58 PM Re: My quick review of the HK Nano 300 [Re: frankieve]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: frankieve

Now the bad points.

Frank.....I've got to hand it to you. You're the only salesman I know in the whole wide world honest enough to advise the "bad points!"

Anyhow, there's a small review of this unit on page 12 of the September issue of Keyboard magazine. I think I'll type it over here.

HK AUDIO LUCAS NANO WHAT: Extremely portable 2.1 stereo P.A. WITH: Eight-inch subwoofer and head delivering 160W to bass and 35W per side to satellites. Three-channel mixer accommodates a mic and stereo keyboard (or more mics), plus MP3 player. Weighs 22 pounds. WHY: Perfect for those small, cocktails-on-the-patio type gigs-but can get a lot louder than that. $699 street hkaudio.com"

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online