SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#349330 - 08/19/12 03:29 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I still don't think you are getting it, Dennis. I honestly have looked at the Korg's manual VERY carefully. There are NO routines in it whatsoever to do what I am talking about.

I'll try one more time. You play ONE note, and a bari, a t'bone, an alto and a trumpet all play in unison. You play a four note chord, and the bari plays the bottom note, the T'bone the next up, the alto the next up and the trumpet plays the top note. Play two notes and the t'bone and bari play the bottom one, the alto and the trumpet the top one. Go back to playing one note, and they all go back to unison.

I cannot find any way to make a Korg do that. If you can, spell it out for me, please.

The reason the ARX boards are so expensive is that they are actually separate synths in their own right. They don't use the polyphony of the host keyboard, they add to it.

But I still believe that this feature could be added to arrangers (and other synths) without great cost. As I said, this is more a function of the voice allocation routines (not in the oscillator sense, Dennis, but in the part of the keyboard that assigns whole sounds to the keys) more than anything else.

Roland have not yet brought out a TOTL arranger with the ARX slots, so this is FantomG only so far (or maybe the Digital Piano's too), and it doesn't seem likely that Roland have much interest in the TOTL market at the current time.

Voice allocation is a very powerful tool, which I think at the moment, no keyboard really gives you good control over. Take Hammond Perc for instance. Polyphonic, but with a single trigger. In other words, play a chord and all the notes sound. But HOLD that chord, and no further voices sound. Most synths do a naff workaround to get this allocation method, and only the dedicated Hammond clones got it right. Lately, it has started to appear in more arrangers, but usually, it still only applies to the Hammond Perc, despite it being useful for attack transients for woodwinds, brass, even synth sounds.

But these divisi allocations have been largely ignored so far. Some of the better softsynths, and orchestral libraries have routines for them (which tends to bolster my theory that it isn't that complicated to implement) so for instance, you play the 1st violins part and they are all unison, but if you play two notes or more, they play new samples of half (or third etc.) of the players playing. Just like what happens in real life!

Anyway, Dennis, if you can program a PA3 to do this, send me the program and I'll load it up into my friend's PA3 and see what it does. But I think you have your work cut out. There are certainly NO factory programs which do this, and you would think that, if it could, some smart boy at Korg would have done it!

#349334 - 08/19/12 04:24 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I finally had a chance to watch the NAMM video that Bill suggested..

After your last post Diki, I realised I HAD totally misunderstood what this was actually about my bad...apologies to Ian also as I think I misunderstood his query as well...

That is pretty damn impressive!! And no there is NO way that I know of, that any Korg can do that, certainly not the PA...

Would be a superb tool to actually get accurate brass parts...

I do agree with you that I cannot see a reason why this could not be implemented in some way via software...as long as the user realises this sort of heavy duty sound manipulation is going to make big dents in the total poly..

You may have missed it in my last post, but I DID specifically comment (and gave kudos as well) on the fact that ARX boards add poly to the keyboard wink

So, upshot I also think this is brilliant, and no, with the current software the PA certainly can not achieve anything like this smile...maybe a "fudge" using two instruments but not five (or was it six?) in the NAMM vid...

Dennis

#349339 - 08/19/12 06:12 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: miden]
dralion Offline

How DVZ (Divisi) works
Real time divisi processing
http://www.audioimpressions.com/how-it-works/how-dvz-works/dvz-explained

#349343 - 08/19/12 07:44 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Okay, as this was outside my area of expertise in sound programming on the Korg, I asked my m8,one of the acknowledged "gurus" of Korg sound programming, Sharp, over at Korg Forums...I gave him a reference to that NAMM demo, and asked if he knew if this was possible on the PA3....here is his reply.....

Hi Dennis.
The KRONOS, OASYS and Pa3X can easily do this.

DNC inside the Px3X can really make easy work of this too. Everything he spoke about on tuning per layer, splits and even his use of switches and controllers has existed in all KORG keyboards for a very long time.

He's using a sound he created that is split and mapped out. On the Pa3X you can copy the OSC's of any existing sound into your new sound and start building up your layers, splits, tuning, DNC and controllers / switches with no problems at all all from a single program.

Cheers
James

I did also ask if he could pop in here and maybe write a few lines, but he is really SUPER busy so he may not have time...So it seems it is possible after all..

#349370 - 08/20/12 10:18 AM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I know on the PA3x, you can assign separate parts as mono sounds, and that would do what you asked. There is a factory patch that features a 3 layered brass section, but the trumpet is in mono, so that note jumps all over the chord .... you can't control which note it will take, but I suppose it is based on priority - maybe first, or last not played? So - set up a 3 tone section and make each tone a mono sample - a single note will play them all in unison, but a 3 note chord will assign a tone to each of the chord notes. You would give up the ability to play more than 3 notes in the right hand, though.
Not sure I like that idea.
The factory patch with the mono trumpet is kinda cool, but it limits some of my creative energy - too much randomness for my taste.

#349373 - 08/20/12 10:42 AM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Why not just modify the part to be poly? Easy enough to do in the menu section...unless it would not work for you having it poly...

#349376 - 08/20/12 11:55 AM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, it took Dennis about three goes before he understood this wasn't possible, maybe James is not quite onboard with the concept yet, but I'll be happy to be shown how it can be done.

Mind you, as amazingly useful as this is, you would have thought that someone at Korg would have come up with some factory patches that show this concept off. I can think of a myriad musical uses for such a capability...

Edited by Diki (08/20/12 11:55 AM)

#349384 - 08/20/12 12:50 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Diki, no offence m8, but do you actually read ALL of the posts? Or do you just skim to find salient bits?

Did you not read that I said (and pasted the comment) that James has already replied to me personally to say the PA3 can do this....and he DID watch the video very carefully!!

Oh and btw I reckon it was only twice m8 not three times wink

D

#349393 - 08/20/12 01:56 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

I say what one player thinks is a great features aren't so for the next one....everyone plays different.....

#349396 - 08/20/12 02:09 PM Re: Divisi parts. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I say what one player thinks is a great features aren't so for the next one....everyone plays different.....

Hard to disagree with that. Different strokes.........

chas

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online