SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#348884 - 08/10/12 03:47 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You have to be careful here about the meanings of the letters.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

SSD = Solid State Drive

SSHD = Solid State Hard Drive (Combines both SSD & HDD in one unit to increase speed and keep costs down)

I think in actual fact the Kronos is an SSD rather than a SSHD

Wersi have been using HDD for 12 years now, and there has never been a failure due to players pounding on the keyboards. (If you look at the shock resistance of HDD while running, the player’s fingers would need to be powered by TNT to get anywhere close)

Bill

#348885 - 08/10/12 03:50 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yeah I agree with Bill re hdd's...been in laptops for years! and unless someone does something REALLY stupid the drives are pretty much rock solid...

as far as SSHD's go it is really only a standard HDD with a solid state cache..Kronos has the SSD, afaik

#348889 - 08/10/12 04:06 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am sorry, but the slight tapping that laptops get is a tiny fraction of what a keyboard goes through. Just look at how a 60 lb. WS can bounce around on a keyboard stand if not on something with four solid legs (which is why I use a QuikLok WS550 for my K2500 with its internal HD), and most keyboards with HD's are inoperative while they load. Unlikely to be hit at all.

Not to mention that the shock of even a slight drop WHILE THE HARD DRIVE IS READING OR WRITING can toast a laptop's HD quite easily.

I don't honestly compare laptop usage to streaming samples and getting pounded on by an energetic, two fisted, hard hitting pianist! Sure, it MIGHT survive for a while. But who wants to go through the agony of replacement on the gig if it doesn't? There's a REASON the Kronos has a SSD and not a 10,000rpm SATA HD.

Edited by Diki (08/10/12 04:06 PM)

#348907 - 08/10/12 10:22 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

I don't honestly compare laptop usage to streaming samples and getting pounded on by an energetic, two fisted, hard hitting pianist! Sure, it MIGHT survive for a while. But who wants to go through the agony of replacement on the gig if it doesn't? There's a REASON the Kronos has a SSD and not a 10,000rpm SATA HD.

ROTFLMAO..... so you have never seen a hard-core gamer going hammer and tong on a laptop??? I swear that sometimes I see the laptops jump off the desk!!!!

Seriously though...it is not as big an issue as you think..look at the Korg PA series..had a hard drive since the PA1- and there are STILL PA1's running on the original hdd - and I have got to say (and truly NO offence to anyone) but I have personally seen some of the players out here from middle eastern countries absolutely flog the [potty mouth] out of PA keyboard - please excuse the language, but it is the best way to describe it..And the hdd keeps chugging along!!!

And now nearly ten years later, 1000's of PA later (most with hard drives) are still chugging away, no dramas...

I do hear what you are saying but in the real works, HDD's are not as sensitive as you might think. I have been installing them for near 25 years now wink

Dennis

#348908 - 08/10/12 10:59 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

OK... I'll take your word on it..!

But I still think I'm going to shoot for an SSD if I get one of these. Just for the transfer speed if nothing else.

It kind of makes you wonder tho... why the push to this technology if HD's are so reliable? I've had 3 large drives die on me in the last ten years, only attached to my computer and utterly unmoved. But that little 50MB SSD in my G70 is bombproof after 8 years or so of hard labor. And, as I pointed out, the head is parked safely away from the platters in a PA3 or almost any HD equipped keyboard. The keyboard goes utterly dead while the head is reading the platters (when the HD is most vulnerable to damage), so it is not getting pounded during its most delicate time.

#348910 - 08/10/12 11:22 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Oh absolutely m8, I would be doing the same thing..the throughput of SSD's plus access and read times makes them perfect for streaming....

That you had three die, is just bad luck sorry to say...I rarely see any dead hard drives, unless, as I aid elsewhere, someone does something really stupid!

I would even consider swapping out my hdd on the PA for a ssd if the PA had more than the ridiculous limit of 256mb ram for samples..

SSD's are certainly much quicker, generate no noise or heat and the technology is maturing very quickly..I can see in about two to three years time an ssd of 500+MB selling nearly as cheaply as current HDDs

The move to ssd's is only a natural progression really, same as the default monitors shifting to IPS output as standard, and OLED tech is nearly there as well, from a markting p.o.v. for sales numbers..

It's all in flux....

#348913 - 08/10/12 11:37 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Well, those drives were involved in heavy DAW use, for one thing. And honestly, I think if it hasn't happened to you over a ten year span or more, you must be the only person I know that hasn't EVER had a HD crash on them at some point or another...

Nice!

#348914 - 08/10/12 11:47 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Just lucky I suppose...plus I daresay I did not do anywhere near the amount of work on a hdd that you would have done in the studio...I am basing it more on real world computing...businesses, private systems et al...And Diki, some of the conditions I find these hard drives sitting in would make you shake you head in wonder..

Dust, dirt, had a mouse nest once, old sticky coke (drink) residue...man I have seen some stuff...and the drives were still working..beats me sometimes how the system was still even turning on with some of them smile

And here you are someone who obviously looks after gear, had three die on you!!! Go figure smile

#348916 - 08/11/12 12:03 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Well, three in over 15 years isn't that bad, if you think about it! MTBF for heavy use HD's is definitely up there to the point that, without a solid backup regimen, EVERYONE is one crash away from losing everything.

Streaming 48+ tracks of audio to and from disk definitely puts the pressure on, but, as I said, I can't honestly think of anyone I know using a computer for anything other than the lightest use that hasn't got ONE horror story to tell.

computer

#348918 - 08/11/12 12:11 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Well I am not talking about the lightest use Diki..a lot more than that..but as I wrote somewhere else you have your opinion, you are entitled I disagree, so we will leave it there...no offence..

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online