SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#348643 - 08/07/12 02:10 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: cgiles]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Just curious. How many of you can sight transpose a chart on the fly, especially an up-tempo number? Just speaking for myself, but I find it much easier to transpose a tune I already know well, in fact, I really CAN'T transpose even a chord (fakebook) sheet on the fly if it complicated and I really don't know it. I don't think so much 'transpose' as much as just playing it in a different key (same thing but not really - it's a mental thing). Of course, IF I have to play it not in the original key (I have always learned all tunes in the original key), then the new key had better be C, Eb, F, G, Bb, or their relative minors smile smile .

Most guys that play mostly jazz know most of the 100-150 most popular so-called jazz standards. In most jazz clubs, it's going to be either that or original material. Doesn't get old though, as most jazz audiences actually WANT to hear something familiar, just with a new take on it. At least that's been my experience. They are much more tolerant of an oft-played tune than a lousy performance. As for the (jazz) players, it always a pleasant challenge to see what else you can do with it (the tune). You rarely see a chart in a jazz club if the group is less than five players. Not saying it's good or bad, just the way it is.

chas

I used to be able to transpose on the fly, even a new chart, as long as it was not "dot heavy". Tempo is not really an issue as it was "ground" into me when I was taking lessons to ALWAYS read a bar or two in front, which of course is now an ingrained habit! So I can be playing one but reading the bar two even sometimes three in front getting my mind onto a coming change.

Sadly these days, I have let those skills wane as more and more I simply get lazy and just use the transpose button, especially to the 4+ sharp keys (always had a problem with sharp keys, but not so much with flats, go figure hey!)

Transposing is a skill that needs constant practice to maintain adequate ability in my view...It's not like just "knowing chords" it is more than that, and the people who cna do it well, impress the hell out of me!!

Interesting point re the jazz tunes Chas...That is my experience too, as the number of jazz tunes I have on the iPad is only about 120 or so...and the folks I play to don't seem to tire of those anywhere near as much as the "popular" songs. Could also be that I rarely play the same jazz tune twice the same way, if ever!! Which sorta kinda reinforces what you are saying smile

Dennis

#348645 - 08/07/12 02:21 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Tostie Offline

In my case the advantage over a laptop is having a really portable sequencer (that actually works compared to the onboard Tyros sequencer) on the musicstand. This gives me a great workflow. I've been experimenting with several music apps for quite a while. The progress they make with these music apps is amazing.

Best Regards,

Joost

#348646 - 08/07/12 02:35 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I purchased an Android tablet a year ago with the intention of using it on stage with my G70 (replacing the more visible laptop)..

Two failures to me so far...battery life on mt tablet is about 2 and a half hours, compared to 5 plus on the laptop...and finding a player that stops after each song, and has a better search without a touch screen error....

The laptop out does the tablet in every way....and I didn't even touch base about the needed extra power to run VST's etc..

Can I use the tablet..yes...do I? yes on a limited basis..

The importance of the laptop/tablet..is nill..since I purchased the BK5...it does the job better, anyway.. smile

BTW: the plus side, the tablet I have is 250g storage ...so I knew it would have a shorter battery life..

#348650 - 08/07/12 04:06 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I purchased an Android tablet a year ago with the intention of using it on stage with my G70 (replacing the more visible laptop)..

Why does everyone want to "HIDE" the lap top on stage .....
who are we trying to fool?.. confused1 cool2 Playing an Arranger KB that uses computerized Automatic style accompaniment and synthesized sounds to create the sound of a so called "real band" which is fake enough,... then, people want to hide a laptop which can be used to enhance your performance in so many ways also....the audience isn't fooled, although some players think so, wink ....your sitting there alone making all this music but the band members aren't there, and then people don't see them either, oh boy What a Surprise surprised ....
So why the cloak of secrecy & incognito like thoughts? coffee ......I say just use "all the tools" available to you "PROUDLY", that you need to make great music, and have fun doing it.
People will appreciate "your talents" all the more ! clap
People.... come out of the closet and open your heart & soul to the masses party ...you'll feel better for it for sure!! dance2

Edited by Dnj (08/07/12 04:09 PM)

#348655 - 08/07/12 05:46 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hells Bells, Donnie. Most still think we're DJs. I had people in a restaurant where I played last night that didn't think it was singing the songs, let alone playing them on the keyboard. They thought it was a CD. When one lady discovered it was me singing her favorite song she came up to the stage, give me a kiss, and asked for a card so she could hire me for a private party next summer. Fortunately, this no longer upsets me like it used to. I just go with the flow, so to speak.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#348656 - 08/07/12 05:59 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Gary.....agreed.....embrace it all...

#348663 - 08/07/12 07:15 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Just one small point I would like to add...a tablet or laptop (whatever) does not JUST have to be for charts...I have read about many big name keyboardists who use these tools, but with notes on song set ups and patch combos, even things as simple as the songlist for the night or lighting notes...So it is useful for so many other things.....

#348665 - 08/07/12 08:02 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
I'm looking forward to more replies, ideas and positive comments giving me the pros and cons about tablets and why certain models are better than others.

Keep 'em coming... and thanks.

Dave Rice

Obviously tablets are more portable than a laptop, and a tablet battery life is usually longer. Apps made for a tablet are inexpensive, making them versatile.

Laptops generally have more power than a tablet, and of course have an actual keyboard interface, along with various USB inputs and other connections.

So Dave, in my opinion both have their advantages, but I. like Gary, currently use a netbook, which may be a nice compromise, something in between a laptop and a tablet.

Not to confuse you any further, I'm actually considering something like this....

Netbook WolVol ...a netbook that is android based.

and only $180, should work fine for music arranging and score reading

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#348666 - 08/07/12 08:21 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Why does everyone want to "HIDE" the lap top on stage .....
who are we trying to fool?.. confused1 cool2 Playing an Arranger KB that uses computerized Automatic style accompaniment and synthesized sounds to create the sound of a so called "real band" which is fake enough,... then, people want to hide a laptop which can be used to enhance your performance in so many ways also....the audience isn't fooled, although some players think so, wink ....your sitting there alone making all this music but the band members aren't there, and then people don't see them either, oh boy What a Surprise surprised ....
So why the cloak of secrecy & incognito like thoughts? coffee ......I say just use "all the tools" available to you "PROUDLY", that you need to make great music, and have fun doing it.
People will appreciate "your talents" all the more ! clap
People.... come out of the closet and open your heart & soul to the masses party ...you'll feel better for it for sure!! dance2

Donny,

I couldn't agree more, sock it to um Donny, hells you're not always right but you are on this one.. duel
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#348667 - 08/07/12 08:36 PM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Riceroni9
Thanks for your comments, guys:

I'm looking forward to more replies, ideas and positive comments giving me the pros and cons about tablets and why certain models are better than others.

Keep 'em coming... and thanks.

Dave Rice

Dave,

Even I am confused now Larry's weighed in with the net book, hells this is so easy, Bill Abacus said when buying headphones use your ears to judge which is best and if they look cool on your nut and sound good buy them... on this matter it's a no brainer... if you are reading music from the screen and you can't see the dots you have the wrong equipment, all the battery crap is a smoke screen, you already have power to your KB so use the power lead to your laptop or I pad, the I pad was never made to read music from, maybe you can use it for that and the screen resolution is off the Richter scale an all the rest of screen resolution are tosh compared to it, but it's too small for me and size matters as we all know, especially your side of the pond everything is bigger. (BIG MAC) you started it!!! Dave take not one bit of notice what has been said here, go down the shop and use your eyes.

Tony

PS if you buy the I pad entering data via the screen is for kids, buy a big tablet or laptop like I posted first you in there with the proffs...

Confuse you more now Dave.

http://www.squidoo.com/footime-page-turner

99 bucks and your problems are solved Dave, the best of both Worlds

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1649Fwu-Porta...3905&sr=8-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LrPu_Qk9k

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online