SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#348503 - 08/06/12 11:27 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I tried the iPad and it is too small for me to read. But, I have to read the dots, not just lyrics and chord symbols . . . Gave the iPad to one of my sons and am still using the Music Pad Pro.

#348504 - 08/06/12 11:30 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
I would imagine that many of SZ's readers are using Fakebook style charts, rather than full score. The smaller size isn't much of a disadvantage there.

But bottom line is, do you really want to go out on a professional show, and have a huge laptop or MusicpadPro perched in front of you, so you can read off of full charts, or do you want to LEARN the songs at home, and go out and do them without the charts, or at most either read some trigger lyrics (short phrases to 'trigger' your memory into remembering the full line) from your arranger's display, if it can do lyrics..?

What looks best to your audience?

But if you are doing this at home, a laptop or computer display is just fine. And you aren't limiting yourself to tablet apps and limited capabilities.

So Diki, you can remember over 500 songs (all the correct changes, ALL the correct lyrics?) to pick from at any one time? Wow I am impressed!!!!

Of course if one ONLY plays the same 55 songs over and over, well one does not need charts...

#348505 - 08/06/12 11:30 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bob,

So am I, there are a lot of goodies coming out on the market for reading music, the Ipad for me is not one, dropping down from a MPP to and Ipad is too much, we are in the lead now 3 to 2, might make more gold medals than you lot over here.. rotf2 4 to 2 with Diki on our side, well sort of??? cry

#348506 - 08/06/12 11:31 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll stick with my 9-inch display Acer Aspire Netbook - it does everything, weighs less than 2 pounds, I can read it from any angle, access the internet if need be, play MP3s, play midi files, anything a PC can do the netbook can do as well. There's no limitations that I can personally think of. It even has a built-in camera, and all for $249.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#348509 - 08/06/12 11:35 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Gary,

You can take a photo or a video of you playing, cool!!! and the punters..I thought you were the resident musician not the photographer... rotfl the Acer runs windows thats best, I have the Icona..

#348511 - 08/06/12 11:42 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony,

Do you mean something like these:

#348513 - 08/06/12 11:43 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I put trigger lyrics into my arranger, and read them from there. Remembering the music, well that's never been an issue. Lyrics... well, I've usually been a secondary singer until the last few years, so that was never an issue, but as I sung more and more lead, I sometimes need the trigger phrases to get through it the first few times.

I simply feel that, look at the pros... the REAL stars, that is. Where are their laptops? You ever see Sinatra with a crib sheet? How many tunes do you think HE knew?

#348516 - 08/06/12 11:52 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Actually, I've heard and seen the REAL stars screw up many of their most popular songs. Gotta' give them credit, though. They could really cover their mistakes quite well, and of course, they were working with live bands that also was able to cover those minor mishaps extremely well. smile

Most entertainers that I know have several hundred songs memorized quite well. Beyond that, we need some help, especially when it's a requested song that we rarely perform. And, there some instances where a brain-fart fires up. That happened with me one night while performing Margarettaville - couldn't remember the first line to save my life. My wife looked at me and mouthed "Nibblin' on sponge cake." and the rest of the words just popped into my head. I don't recall using the laptop at all that night and it was a 4-hour job. Those things just happen - even if you're sober.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#348518 - 08/06/12 11:56 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

. Those things just happen - even if you're sober.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Gary,

I walk in a room and forgot what I came in for, is that the same, I thought it was... rotf2 Gary what was that song your wife nibblin prompted you???

#348519 - 08/06/12 11:57 AM Re: OT: Advantages of Tablets over Laptops [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Yep! Same thing, Tony.

Gary cool

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online