SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#348411 - 08/05/12 11:47 AM OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers:
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sunday relaxing in the family room ... outdoor temp 88, feels like 94, humidity 60% ... air conditioning feels great ... listening to a jazz station on the TV ... heard "Aires" by this guy:

Gary Smulyan

really liked the organ player :

... back to relaxing ... coffee

Edited by tony mads usa (08/05/12 11:49 AM)

#348430 - 08/05/12 03:16 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Hey Tony,
I'm not opening any more post by you are Chas. I just get depressed and have to take 5 or 6 Ativan and my doctor said that that isn't good for me to do.

Man I have a 40 year old album with a tune by Sonny Stitt called "Aries." It's a slow Jazz ballad. I like it as much as anything ever written. I've searched all over and can't find it. I thought you found it by another group and I wanted to compare it to the Stitt recording. Oh well. I wish every one could hear this sax ballad by an all time great.

#348443 - 08/05/12 05:57 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Hey Tony,
I'm not opening any more post by you are Chas. I just get depressed and have to take 5 or 6 Ativan and my doctor said that that isn't good for me to do.

Man I have a 40 year old album with a tune by Sonny Stitt called "Aries." It's a slow Jazz ballad. I like it as much as anything ever written. I've searched all over and can't find it. I thought you found it by another group and I wanted to compare it to the Stitt recording. Oh well. I wish every one could hear this sax ballad by an all time great.

Hey boo ... do you mean this one?:

Edited by tony mads usa (08/05/12 05:58 PM)

#348449 - 08/05/12 07:11 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Yes.

#348451 - 08/05/12 07:14 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Here's one for you, Boo. Sonny Rollins (not Sonny Stitt) tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LizYmwcB1Pc

#348460 - 08/05/12 09:46 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Check it out. No Sonny?

The story goes that a customer asked Zoot Simms how could he play with all of the drinking he did?
Zoot says, Practice, practice, practice.

#348464 - 08/05/12 10:26 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you are going to get depressed because the bar is so high in jazz, start listening to smooth jazz!

That will restore your faith in your own ability quite quickly!

#348465 - 08/05/12 10:55 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Diki,
You never cease to amaze!! How true!

#348474 - 08/06/12 09:22 AM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, Diki, you're right, but Smooth Jazz beats some of the alternatives...

And some of it is kinda fun to play!

R.

#348515 - 08/06/12 11:52 AM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Well, you've heard some that I was involved in, Russ, so I am as guilty as most in this regard..!

But if someone asks me to sit down and play some Oscar, or Herbie, well, I'd better be wearing brown pants and have a handy supply of Ativan!

Giants walk amongst us...

#348533 - 08/06/12 12:53 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, your stuff was FINE...!

Doing a commercial project to your level is nothing to sneeze at.

The "commercial" category puts a whole different spin on things.

Your work is outstanding. We'd get along great together in the studio.

Russ

#348548 - 08/06/12 02:28 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, any chance of PM'ing me a copy of your friend's take of Anthony Newly's 'Feeling good'. I lost the copy you sent me and I really loved it. Don't worry, I won't steal the arrangement (which, incidently, is dynamite) as I do my own bluesy version (which doesn't hold a candle to his, BTW). I just want it to listen to. It's one of my favorite tunes and after Nina's version, his is the best I've heard. Thanks.

chas

#348554 - 08/06/12 02:58 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Diki,

Send me a copy too and don't worry, I'm not a keyboardist, I'm a sax man. I can't copy anything you do, I have enough of a time playing the 7 chords I know along with staring at the lyrics.

I don't have a clue who I'm playing to. I just am having fun and I know they are too because they clap as hard as they can. Also,I had a note in my tip jar that said I was the greastest and it had a heart drawn on it.

I thought it was an old biddy that did that and my wife said she saw a young woman who could have been 21 - 35 put the note in the jar. I asked her why she didn't get her name and address. Big mistake now I can't gig there anymore.

#348570 - 08/06/12 09:05 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You're like that dog chasing the car. What you gonna do if you catch one?

#348573 - 08/06/12 09:46 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Don,

At the restaurant where I go to watch the Saints when they are on TV, there is a very nice young lady that runs the place. My brother and I ate there for lunch while he and his fiance' were visiting Penny and I a while back.

The next night he wanted to go and try the Catfish. Believe it or not, yes we have very good Catfish. When the nice young lady Jodi came to the table, I said Jodi this is my wife Penny. Then I said to Penny this is Jodi my girl friend. Everyone but myself cracked up. I say things like that all the time with the Bob Newhart dry face.

I guess here on the forum without seeing the person's facial expression it's hard to appreciate the humor.

I'm sorry about that if it was in bad taste. I guess no one here on the forum has figured out that I taught Don Rickels his trade. Remember him on the Dean Martin Roast. He got so good at acting obnoxious that he actually got better than me!! Can you believe that?

#348591 - 08/07/12 02:34 AM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Micheal's City Beat album is available here... http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/MichaelJThomas

There's also a full video for the single here: http://vimeo.com/6651325

I am not sure what song you are referring to, chas. Did you mean this album?

BTW, Micheal has some excellent new stuff out in the smooth jazz vein. The City Beat album dates back to 2009, I think.

Google away!

#348628 - 08/07/12 12:03 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

BTW Boo.... did you notice how our Saints defense took out the Card's QB at the beginning of the Pre-Season opener, AND DIDN'T GET PAID A DIME MORE?

Saint's new motto should be 'This year, we're killing you for free!'

Edited by Diki (08/07/12 12:04 PM)

#348629 - 08/07/12 12:14 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Diki, these are very good, a treat for smooth jazz lovers. However, the one I'm talking about is the tune 'Feelin' Good' by Anthony Newly, and featured vocals and a fabulous flute. I'm SOOOoooo sorry that I lost the copy you sent me. I think it was part of an unfinished cd you were working on at the time. It was back at a time when we were posting our own versions of some tunes to see how (differently?) we approached the same tune. Cass headed up that project. You and I were considering collaborating on a tune and I picked that one. Ring any bells? In any case, don't worry about it. Suffice it to say, it was beautifully done.

chas

#348634 - 08/07/12 12:50 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Diki,

Why am I just finding out that you're a Saints fan. Don't tell DonM I said this but from what he told me all Shreveport fans are Cowboy fans because the Cowboys were before the Saints and besides they live closer to Dallas I think he said.

Man with what, 10 Florida Pro teams now, you must have people mad at you all year round if you're for the saints, eh?

Here in Colorado we football fans are far, few and in between. There are millions of Bronco fans, but they don't understand that they are not football fans.

For example, if the Broncos are not in the Super Bowl they don't watch. So they don't get to watch many Super Bowls. I think that many (of the so called football fans) have pretty much the same mentality

#348652 - 08/07/12 04:13 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

GO EAGLES!!

#348692 - 08/08/12 10:28 AM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

LOL... typical. I post links to music I have played on, and only chas has got a single thing to say about it.

Guess that's SZ in a nutshell...

#348693 - 08/08/12 10:39 AM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

chas, can't find your email address. You still have mine? Drop me an email and I'll send it to you. The artist is a local musician called Donnie Sundal. Google him, too. But it was something I didn't play on, I think. Great arrangement, tho.

#348717 - 08/08/12 02:03 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I just got around to reading this thread. I enjoying the music Diki.
DonM

#348722 - 08/08/12 03:28 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Diki, check your email (and Thanks).

chas

#348723 - 08/08/12 04:00 PM Re: OT ( just not about KBs) Especially For Jazzers: [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
LOL... typical. I post links to music I have played on, and only chas has got a single thing to say about it.

Guess that's SZ in a nutshell...

Diki ... I do believe I commented on these tunes back in 2010 when I first heard them ... wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online