SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#347989 - 07/29/12 01:27 PM All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, to be honest - I DID play a few solo piano songs, like an Andrew Lloyd Webber medley, NY State of mind and one other little free form improv while I was deciding what to do next.

No trax, no midi files ... it was too quiet to utilize the benefit of these larger, fuller arrangements, so I used a thinned out, more intimate approach all night and it was just what was called for. I shut the arranger off for most of the first set and played manual bass with drums and piano, and as the night went on, I added more and more instruments as needed.

It was refreshing, but I really did miss some of the more exact rhythm breaks and such. This vertical Saturday night job I have is a private country club, and it's just dinner music - no dancing, no chatter, very little interaction during the sets. It's musical wallpaper, but it pays well, gets me out of the house, and when those folks book a private party ... "ka-ching!!" $$$$$$$$$$$
So, it's all worth it. As many of you would say ...
"it's a gig"

On a side note - the PA-AS is performing superbly as a stand alone unit for this venue ... plenty of bass, great monitor angle and the reflected sound is perfect for this low volume room. I'm glad I got it.

I carry the PA-AS in a soft keyboard bag, so the trip in is a one shot deal from the car to the stage. Perfect small setup with no compromise in sound. When I do the dance rooms, all I do is go back to the car for the Bose bottom (the tops travel in the PA-AS bag) - hook up the light bar and I'm set. Just one extra trip - no dollys, no huffing or puffing - it's a thing of beauty for the busy professional.

Just thought I'd keep you in the loop, for those of you who are still on the Korg fence.

Attachments
IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg (20 downloads)

Edited by Uncle Dave (07/29/12 01:28 PM)

#347990 - 07/29/12 01:30 PM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey - my "after" shot of the stage never showed up .... here it is.
There's a valance missing from the curtain ... must have been out getting ironed!

Attachments
IMG_0270.jpg (58 downloads)

Edited by Uncle Dave (07/29/12 01:31 PM)

#347991 - 07/29/12 02:27 PM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... maybe I missed something, but what was the stage set up for? confused1
thnx,

#348025 - 07/30/12 08:51 AM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

The next picture showed the finished set - it was a school play - The Odd Couple. I was bored and wanted to post a picture! Click on the jpg link in the second post to see the set

#348026 - 07/30/12 09:47 AM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I was bored and wanted to post a picture!

OK ... that's cool ... cool rocker

#348061 - 07/30/12 03:17 PM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Dave

Some of my most rewarding gigs, and I'm not talking money have been the easiest. Walk in and play the piano! Played one CC in North Jersey and the piano was so good I told the manager, kidding of course, "I'd play this piano for free, I enjoy it so much" Offered to do a regular night for dinner but no go. Money is tight even in the CCs.
Another is when I did a lot of wedding cocktail hours at this place that had a decent Baby Grand right by the bar. Sat there with a Maker's Mark on the rocks and just played whatever I wanted. Every time, someone would walk by from the bar and look twice at the inside of the piano and then say "hey your really playing that thing !!!" HA! loved it !!! Of course they then all went into the main hall for the wedding and had a DJ with his video screens.

#348066 - 07/30/12 04:21 PM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Bill Lewis]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Dave

Some of my most rewarding gigs, and I'm not talking money have been the easiest. Walk in and play the piano!

+1

I had a similar deal at a residency at an Airport Hotel (Canberra) main bar and lounge...Just walk in, open the briefy with charts sit at the GP and play...One of the sweetest gigs I ever had smile

#348303 - 08/02/12 06:06 PM Re: All arranger - ALL night .... it's been a while! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I agree ... to quote Ernie (from Sesame Street):
"You got to put down the ducky ... if you want to play the saxophone."
Just grab on tight with two hands and see what comes out the other end. Some of my most rewarding jobs have been cocktails on a grand piano or just playing classic rock sing-a-longs on an acoustic guitar.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online