SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#348245 - 08/02/12 09:34 AM OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Please excuse this off topic post but I wanted to post this info so others might gain by my experience. The past 3 months I have experienced increasing levels of numbness and tingling in the fingers of both hands. Some days it was worse than others but it never subsided. Soon it was effecting my forearms as well so it was time to see the doctor.

After my visit with a neurologist and a completed nerve conduction test it was determined I had a very mild case
of carpal tunnel in both hands but they wanted an MRI
of my cervical spine to make sure that was not the problem.
Long story short – the MRI revealed a very severe stenosis(a narrowing of the spinal channel) from C3-C6 – multiple layers of my cervical spine are severely messed up caused by protrusions and degeneration. Carpal tunnel is not the problem.

What I have discovered is, this is something that happens to many people as they age and the onset is so mild that it can and does go on undetected for years. The symptons often are no more troublesome at first than what a person would go to a massage therapist for – you know stiff neck – sore shoulders etc.. By the way, the doctors said that was the very worst thing you can do for this condition – who knew?

So, the moral of this story is simple – if you have ANY tingling or numbness of hands or fingers or chronic sore neck and shoulders - go get a cervical spine MRI. My problem now is I have waited way to long for this to be a simple fix and if I had caught it earlier the prognosis would be a lot better as well as the surgical procedure would have been very simple comparatively. Worse yet is the fact that because I waited so long to see the doctor the surgery may not completely reverse my symptoms because there very well might be nerve damage that can’t be reversed!

Deane

#348254 - 08/02/12 10:05 AM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Deane, I'm having residual aging problems and, you're right. It's wise to get things checked out as soon as it is a problem.

Be well...good luck on treatment!

R.

#348255 - 08/02/12 10:16 AM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sorry to hear that Hammer. It's a good thing you got it checked out. I wish you well with your treatment and recovery.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348292 - 08/02/12 04:13 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Deanne ... Thnx for the heads up ... Wishing you well ...

#348293 - 08/02/12 04:42 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thank you so much for sharing this story, Deane:

I play golf often (until now) and sufferred a mild case of heat exhaustion recently. Before that, I had been having trouble with my neck and shoulders. Approximately one week after the heat stroke, I began to have a tingling sensation in the middle three fingers of both hands.

I'm now scheduled for an MRI and a visit to a nearby Neurologist within the next few weeks. The VA doctor prescribed a capsule regimen of Gabopentin and I've only been taking it one week but will begin doubling up immediately after visiting my regular doctor today. So far, I have not experienced problems with my forearms and I hope we've caught this thing in time.

Your warning gives me a mixed blend of hope and concern. Until the weather here begins to cool down, I'll play golf only early in the day and probably only nine holes... if at all.

My medical team also ruled out Carpal Tunnel from preliminary tests but the Neurologist is still waiting in the wings with that painful procedure you endured.

Thanks again for making us aware.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery.

Dave Rice

#348295 - 08/02/12 05:06 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: Riceroni9]
hammer Offline

Hi Dave,
I have had to cancel gigs because my fingers of both hands became so sensitive to touch. One other point - Look up Dr. Andrew Dossett from Dallas. He is the Dallas Cowboys and Mavericks sideline spine doctor. I figure if he works on multi-million a year athletes he must know his stuff.

Deane

#348297 - 08/02/12 05:21 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I have suffered permanent nerve damage in both legs due to to spinal stenosis/herniated disc. After 2 surgeries (2005/2006) including a fusion , I still have peripheral neuropathy in both legs and take 3,000mg of Gabopentin (generic for Neurontin) daily. I also had tingling in two fingers on my left hand and pain in the middle of my upper arm. Had fusion of c5/c6 in 2010. Symptoms still occur if I keep my head turned to the left. I recently had an mri in may that revealed the next disc below both the cervical and lumbar fusions are herniated. No surgery yet, but it may be down the pike again.

By the time I had the lumbar fusion, the damage had already been done. An emg revealed it after persistent pain after lumbar surgery #2. I didn't wait long when the cervical problem came up and ended up with some lingering pain and fingers on my left hand are unsteady. It's degenerative, so heed the aforementioned advice and have symptoms checked early...

Attachments
Copy of 1.jpg

#348298 - 08/02/12 05:25 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Guys..BTW: Bebop is having a tough time too..He just had surgery and is recuperating.

#348300 - 08/02/12 05:35 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Fran, what is Bebop's health issue? Hope nothing very serious.

Sparky, thanks for posting your experience too. My intent was to try to draw attention to the importance of getting checked out if you even suspect you have symptoms like is being described in this thread.

Deane

#348307 - 08/02/12 11:51 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: sparky589]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Deane and Sparky, thanks for sharing. The earlier the diagnosis, better the chances of sorting it out. Hope, both of you find the best possible cure for your conditions.

Auron Music

#348327 - 08/03/12 12:20 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Friends,

Does anybody here experiencing prostate issues like BPH? No allopathic meds is working with me due to my low blood pressure. I'm avoiding to go thru surgery even the minimally invasive laser.
Any recommendation (natural healing, supplements)?

Best Regards,
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#348328 - 08/03/12 12:43 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: synerjim]
hammer Offline

I have several friends who experienced BPH issues and have had some kind of surgery done. They did not have their prostates removed. Each of them has told me they don't know why they waited so long to have it done.

Deane

#348329 - 08/03/12 12:57 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: synerjim]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: synerjim
Friends,

Does anybody here experiencing prostate issues like BPH? No allopathic meds is working with me due to my low blood pressure. I'm avoiding to go thru surgery even the minimally invasive laser.
Any recommendation (natural healing, supplements)?

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Jim,

I've been there done it 4 years ago. I'll send you a PM later this weekend.

Deane, Thanks for sharing your experience and heads up for those who are coming up right behind you in the age department.

Edited by Stephenm52 (08/03/12 12:57 PM)

#348388 - 08/04/12 10:52 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: hammer]
synerjim Offline

Hi Deane,

That's good. However I've read some not so good results that scared me away from these procedures. I've seen several urologists and not happy with their prescriptions and tests. I appreciate if they recommend urologists close here in San Bernardino or Riverside counties in Southern California?

Thanks,
Jim

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#348389 - 08/04/12 10:53 PM Re: OT: Very Important Medical Info - Please Read [Re: Stephenm52]
synerjim Offline

Hi Stephen, Ill reply to you in your PM.

Thanks a lot.
Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online