SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#347908 - 07/27/12 03:57 PM Re: Tony Mads, Food for thought [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo

When you do High School Band, College or what ever. Nothing, I mean nothing, is written for horns in E, A, not much D, no body not even strumming guitar players delight playing anything in B, or F#. LOL!

Those keys call for all of the accidental notes on saxes, oboes, clarinet etc. which are all of the extra side keys on these instrument. I played my share in E, and A with guitar bands. But all of the groups with a pianist played in the key of C, F, G, Bb, Db, Eb Ab keys etc.

See, I knew I was an oddball. As I've said before, I know squat about saxes - apart from the fact that you blow in one end and sound comes out the other, but please don't misconstrue that as my having no appreciation for the virtuosos on that instrument - I've mentioned my sax heroes in previous threads. Anyhoo, as a keyboard guy, I'll go all day in C D E F G A (B is not even on my radar), but anything called something # or b I'll stay clear of. It's just the way my hands work.

On improvisation, like Tony Mads I`ve been 'in the water' for 50-odd years and I can paddle, but I know I`ll never be a AAA swimmer like Bill Evans. Laziness? Probably. But I get around okay, because I'm always looking for something fresh. I don't always find it, but good stuff happens along the way sometimes.

#347909 - 07/27/12 04:26 PM Re: Tony Mads, Food for thought [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA

I'm sure that there aren't many on this forum that just play in two keys. I have played with a pianist and a guitarist that played the old standards. They were old. Believe it or not everything was in Bb or C. Man talk about driving yourself nuts!!

124, I am sure that you don't fit in the category of lazy. I'd bet money that you do quite a bit with your right hand other than just chord. Most every one can improvise a bit and some more than they think.

I'm talking about guys that strum for 60 years and still can't play a C6 and can't began to tell you what other note might fit in a chord. Now that's lazy.

Now go practice take two asprin and call me in the morning, OK?

#347957 - 07/28/12 05:46 PM Re: Tony Mads, Food for thought [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Well Tony,

You just told me that your sax man probably cannot play the greatest ballad ever written as far as I am concerned for any sax, "Body And Soul." Oh and "Darn That Dream" too!! But "Darn That Dream" is in G and the bridge changes key to Eb. If you can play the melody to this tune you should be able to learn any melody to any tune. No kidding.

boo ... "Body and Soul" is one of HIS favorite songs as well ... and YES he plays it in the original key, as he does all the great jazz tunes ... unfortunately, not being a jazz player, I do not play those tunes with him ... he has other outlets for his jazz playing ...the problem with "The Way You Look Tonight" is that when we played it with 'the band' back in the day, our vocalist sang it in Eb ... all was fine ... now, we only get together once or twice a year to play and "TWYLT" is not a song he generally plays, so not being that familiar with the chord progression he 'opted out' ...

He actually really enjoys ad-libing on "Body and Soul"

Edited by tony mads usa (07/28/12 05:47 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online