SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#347851 - 07/26/12 01:43 PM The Bose Compact Killer....
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
http://www.audioworksct.com/hk-audio-lucas-nano-300/

And it works in either stereo or mono mode with 1 unit, or you can add a second unit for an even bigger spread.

It's also less money, and has a more natural sound.

#347855 - 07/26/12 06:07 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Frank ... how does it sound ... how is the projection? ...
thnx

#347857 - 07/26/12 08:03 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
zuki Offline

Good title. Looks like the perfect setup for small gigs in stereo. Very cool.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#347867 - 07/27/12 04:20 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

1 of the tops has a 60 x 40 spread, so if you angle them you have about a 120 degree spread.

As for the sound, everyone has their own taste. But when I tested it against a compact, all that were there said the Nano was cleaner sounding, volume apperared to be louder with the Bose, but we determined it was the over hype'd eqing of the compact

btw my compact will be on ebay later today for those interested

#347868 - 07/27/12 05:22 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: frankieve
http://www.audioworksct.com/hk-audio-lucas-nano-300/

And it works in either stereo or mono mode with 1 unit, or you can add a second unit for an even bigger spread.

It's also less money, and has a more natural sound.

This will blow away the Bose.....HK makes some awesome gear. check out thier whole lineup of sound equipment....very popular in Europe also.

HK Audio

Edited by Dnj (07/27/12 05:25 AM)

#347869 - 07/27/12 07:20 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
It does sound like an awesome product and when Frankieve endorses it that speaks volumes. Frankieve is tops as a dealer.

.........but I can't help saying this either. Every tablet that is released is supposed to the "iPad Killer" I wonder whether that phenomenon will take place with this new product...............

Ok and now I duck!! rocker

#347870 - 07/27/12 07:57 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Years ago when the Dawn system was so popular it had two satellites that sat on very flimsy poles similar to light curtain rods. The pictures on Frankie's link picture poles that look a little more substantial...but I'd like to hear Frankie's assessment. It also appears the poles are optional. Yes?
Eddie

#347873 - 07/27/12 08:53 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I listened to the Youtube video demo of this system and it sounded as if the Sub-Woofer was overpowering the satellites. Plus, I didn't get the dispersion effects with this unit as you get with the Bose system. Could be a crappy demo and/or bad adjustments/EQ.

Maybe Frank can give us a hands-on demo video???? Pretty Please???!!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#347874 - 07/27/12 09:14 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: kbrkr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I genuinely feel that some manufacturers outlast and outsell the competition because of their long - standing reputation and constant high standard of product performance ... BOSE is one of those companies ... Some competitors may gain a percentage of the market due to the introduction of certain products - and the NANO 300 may be one of these - but I doubt that it will have a SIGNIFICANT long term effect on BOSE ...
BUT ... it does sound VERY interesting ... more info please Frank ?
thanks

PS ... I sub for another player in the lounge of a nice Italian restaurant ... the lounge is about 50 feet wide and 100 feet long ... the guy leaves his BOSE there for me to use ... I have always been very impressed with the way it 'throws' the sound all the way through the lounge without being too loud in any one place - even right behind me - ... I wonder if the NANO has the same capability ... ?

PPS ... Steve ... I'll be there Sept 1 and 14 filling in for Johnny ... grin rocker

Edited by tony mads usa (07/27/12 09:18 AM)

#347879 - 07/27/12 09:30 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

PPS ... Steve ... I'll be there Sept 1 and 14 filling in for Johnny ... grin rocker

Tony, thanks for the heads up, if can make one of those dates I hope to come see you. Labor Day weekend may work out pretty well.

#347880 - 07/27/12 09:30 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Looks like a much more conventional, if small, type of PA setup compared to the Bose. Sure, the Bose has got its' drawbacks, but it also has strengths. Its line array type speaker setup DOES project more evenly over a wide and long distance. Ideal for gigs where you want the volume close and far as similar as possible. Background music, restaurants, corporate functions and the like.

The problem starts when you use it for more party and dance situations, where people want to get down to a solid volume on the dance floor, but people at the bar would still like to be able to talk. That throw then works against you.

There isn't really any ONE system that is best for ALL occasions... unless you ONLY play one type of situation!

#347889 - 07/27/12 11:46 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So far, I haven't found any situation where the Bose didn't outperform every conventional system I've owned in the past half-century. It works extremely well in large halls, mid size restaurant/bar venues, and even a couple living room parties I recently performed.

Take a careful look at the graphic associated with the posted system and compare it to the dispersion graphic of the Bose L1 and L1 Compact. The Bose may cost more, but I sincerely believe it will effectively and efficiently cover all the bases.

I still have a Barbetta Sona 32-SC sitting in the store room that hasn't been used in years. I kept it around for a backup, but the Bose has been so reliable that I never had to use it. $250 plus shipping - any takers?

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#347893 - 07/27/12 12:30 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

I still have a Barbetta Sona 32-SC sitting in the store room that hasn't been used in years. I kept it around for a backup, but the Bose has been so reliable that I never had to use it. $250 plus shipping - any takers?

Cheers,

Gary cool

Gary same story here with my Barbetta. Let's make it a package deal I'll have one to sell too same price and terms as your sale Maybe someone needs a stereo set up. wave

#347959 - 07/28/12 07:19 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

If you look at the Bose Compact design, it's not really a line array because of all the different angles the speakers are pointing to. Because of this you end up have sound bouncining everywhere which then leads to phase cancelation and weird frequency bumps and dips.

I took the compact and the Nano, set them up at the end of the room, the Bose with it's full set-up, and the compact with the sub with the 2 tops 1 on top of the other. and when playing pre-recorded music the Nano was a more realistic natural sound.

When I play a piano sound through it I once again liked the sound of the Nano over the Bose.

Yes Bose was the first for portable line array type of speaker, but it wasnt the last.

I'm pretty sure the Ford Model T was the first assembly line auto, but it definitely wasn't the last, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of companies that are doing it better,

HK Audio is a professional audio company with drivers and amplifiers made for exactly that.

When I talked to HK they said they knew Bose was the leader in these lines, and design the HK Elements and the Nano against the L1 and the compact, since hearing both of them, I have replaced my L1 with the Elements and now doing the same with the Nano and the compact.

Hearing is believing, you should give a listen before making a decision on what you may think, rather than actually comparing them.

#347980 - 07/29/12 06:51 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

The Dawn system was just 2 small drivers and a sub, there was no new design or any effort put into it, and the sound was exactly that. I had a Dawn system for a couple of days, got rid of it quickly.

The Compact and the Nano, both are using new design and technology to bring a better sound to a conventional idea. A speaker on a stick will always be a speaker on a stick, unless things are modified to address the short comings, and thats what Bose and HK are doing

#347994 - 07/29/12 03:08 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Diki Offline

I would likely use this only in stereo. Frank, how does the Nano's frequency response change, when you uncouple the top cubes and set them up apart? Do you hear a loss of some of that low mid stuff which I feel is so lacking from the Bose's?

And, when cranked close to its limits, how well does it cope..? Just about any small system can be made to sound at least adequate up to a certain point, but push it past its comfort zone and they all get ugly in different ways, at different volume levels.

Have you tried pushing both the Compact and the Nano to their absolute limits? How do they compare at the upper end of the volume range?

#348185 - 08/01/12 09:12 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Has anyone tried Nano 300 speakers with Tyros4?I'm seriously thinking to buy two Nano speakers for my Tyros4.Are these dual Nano speakers sound better than using two Bose compact speakers?Please give your advice.

Thanks,
Sunny.

#348407 - 08/05/12 10:57 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Interesting... I was just about to order a Roland BA 300 and now this comes along.

Does this have reverb? How many inputs?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348420 - 08/05/12 12:46 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Paul,

Go to the first post by Frank and you can look at the specs. It appears to have 3 XLR inputs, plus an RCA stereo in for a CD player. I couldn't find any effects controls, though. All of the information is listed on the link.

Diki,

I've never pushed the Bose L1 Compacts or L1 standard to anywhere near maximum - never had to. On one occasion, while playing in a large hall, I pushed the L1 Compact's master volume to the 1-O'clock position and it was way too loud, but still very clear and crisp with lots of bottom end. There was absolutely no distortion, even at that level. At the time I was using a pair of Compacts and the audience size was approximately 450 people in a hall measuring approximately 200-feet by 150-feet. I was positioned against a wall in the middle of the hall. Someone of one of the forums said they thought that Bose had some sort of built-in AVC device that prevented over-driving the system, but I'm not sure if this is the case. Even though I occasionally play for a somewhat younger crowd at private, poolside and marina parties, I rarely crank the volume up to ear-bleed levels. Just never found it necessary.

I took a real close look at the Lucas Nano 300 specs, and from all outward appearances it's just a conventional sound system consisting of a sub and couple of satellites - not much different than some of the Logitech systems, but far more costly.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#348429 - 08/05/12 03:13 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman
Interesting... I was just about to order a Roland BA 300 and now this comes along.

Does this have reverb? How many inputs?

One more advantage the BA330 will give you....Anti feedback control is excellent....I have seen major feedback problems on the Bose Compact...Mic feedback with longtime experienced performers...They are always looking for the best position of the Bose...to avoid the feedback problem...

I have also heard the Bose level reaching a distortion point...Just as I have heard the limiters on the BA330 kicking in avoiding distortion..I prefer the latter.. smile

#348437 - 08/05/12 04:37 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

One more advantage the BA330 will give you....Anti feedback control is excellent....I have seen major feedback problems on the Bose Compact...Mic feedback with longtime experienced performers...They are always looking for the best position of the Bose...to avoid the feedback problem...

Strange! I've never encountered feedback with either my L1 or L1 Compact - EVER! And, I don't know anyone else that had a feedback problem. Ya' think the guy you're talking about might have been using a cheap, unidirectional mic?

Cheers,

Gary cool

#348438 - 08/05/12 05:00 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Strange! I've never encountered feedback with either my L1 or L1 Compact - EVER! And, I don't know anyone else that had a feedback problem. Ya' think the guy you're talking about might have been using a cheap, unidirectional mic?

Cheers,

Gary cool

Ditto !!

Fran you're an intelligent guy you've got tech saavy when it comes to musical equipment I have to believe you can't be serious but instead just like to stir things up here at SZ. taz

Edited by Stephenm52 (08/05/12 05:04 PM)

#348441 - 08/05/12 05:21 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: travlin'easy]
miden Offline

Loc: The World

Cheers,

Gary cool

Yep, another +1 here too

#348445 - 08/05/12 06:49 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
124 Offline

+1 Might as well add me to the pot as well.

#348447 - 08/05/12 07:07 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

Cheers,

Gary cool

I have both the Bose Compacts and a Roland SA 300 (with anti-feedback control) Both are good systems but I do have more feeback issues with the Roland.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#348620 - 08/07/12 08:50 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: montunoman]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
2 used Barbetta's in GC website will ship to store nearest you..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Defau...mp;src=barbetta

#348623 - 08/07/12 11:42 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

Did I just read someone comparing a $69 Logitech computer speaker system to a Pro Audio speaker system?

#348626 - 08/07/12 11:51 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I would likely use this only in stereo. Frank, how does the Nano's frequency response change, when you uncouple the top cubes and set them up apart? Do you hear a loss of some of that low mid stuff which I feel is so lacking from the Bose's?

And, when cranked close to its limits, how well does it cope..? Just about any small system can be made to sound at least adequate up to a certain point, but push it past its comfort zone and they all get ugly in different ways, at different volume levels.

Have you tried pushing both the Compact and the Nano to their absolute limits? How do they compare at the upper end of the volume range?

Frank?

#348644 - 08/07/12 02:20 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Fran Carango Offline

"Strange! I've never encountered feedback with either my L1 or L1 Compact - EVER! And, I don't know anyone else that had a feedback problem. Ya' think the guy you're talking about might have been using a cheap, unidirectional mic?"

Cheers,

Gary

I just talked with my friend in question about my comments, and he confirmed I was accurate.. smile

Gary (Murway), uses a Shure wireless headset($400)...and Gary (Diamond)..it is a Omni directional...making it worse for unwanted sound than the unidirectional you mention.. smile

His best position is having the Bose behind him , about six feet, and about 2 feet to his right side...

Gary M uses a midi guitar, Helicon harmonizer, arranger sound module...etc, so he develops a lot of sound..

He also confirmed what I have heard...distortion is possible just like any other sound system.. smile

I would also add...the Bose Compact, is Gary M's favorite system for his type of work....just like Gary D.. grin

#348657 - 08/07/12 06:09 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

I switched from an Omni Directional mic about 8 years ago to the unidirectional Crown CM-311A and that ended all feedback problems with any sound system I used. I have three Crown CM-311As, one stays in the office, and two go with me - just in case. In all these years, and thousands of jobs, I've never had a failure using the Crowns.

As for the distortion, I guess it's possible with any sound system that is overdriven. I just don't crank the volume up to those levels, therefore, I've never experienced distortion with the Bose systems.

Fran, the next time I'm up your way I would love to meet up with you, Dave and Donny, and possibly go hear Gary Murway perform. Maybe one weekend in September. On October 1, if my health holds together, I'll be sailing south for the Florida Keys and Bahamas.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (08/07/12 06:10 PM)

#348695 - 08/08/12 10:41 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
Diki Offline

Who uses an omni for live use these days? Even in the studio, it's not very usual to use an omni for miking a single singer...

And live, it's the kiss of death

#348706 - 08/08/12 11:57 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World

Frank?

Yeah +1

Frank enquiring minds would like to know...a response to this question from Diki would be appreciated if you can do it...

#348711 - 08/08/12 12:37 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Who uses an omni for live use these days? Even in the studio, it's not very usual to use an omni for miking a single singer...

And live, it's the kiss of death

The problem...most wireless headsets are omnidirectional....designed for theatrical stage use, allowing the mic to pick up all stage voices...That is why I still do not use a wireless headset mic...and it is compounded , destroying any harmonizer use too...

When I find a good unidirectional mic with a nice tight pattern , I use it...The Samson G7 turned out to be a great mic for me..

#348712 - 08/08/12 12:47 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Just found this setup from Peavey while browsing the net- anyone use it?
ebay

#348715 - 08/08/12 01:56 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the original TriFlex years ago. It was a killer in it's time. This thing looks real good, but very heavy.
DonM

#348725 - 08/08/12 04:44 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Brian,

I had a couple forerunners of that mic, the Pro8-Hex. I may still have them around here somewhere. When I switched to the Crown CM-311A I never used them again. I also had a great wireless system made by Samson. The transmitter was the size and shape of a 12-gauge shotgun shell and had an XLR plug on one end. It ran on a AAA battery for about 12 hours. The receiver was about the size of a pack of cigarettes, had a tiny power-pack and could pick up the mic from distances of up to 200 feet with no interference.

Unfortunately, Samson discontinued them and I sold the ones I had to a couple Synthzone members. Wish is still had them, now! smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

#348733 - 08/08/12 08:45 PM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, they still make the systems with the universal transmitters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samson-AirLine-7...=item564bc44637

DonM

#348767 - 08/09/12 11:37 AM Re: The Bose Compact Killer.... [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Just placed an order - thanks Don.

Gary cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online