SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#347916 - 07/27/12 06:08 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: abacus

Ian

The PC editing software you mention is not even close. (Unless you’re comparing it with something I was using 10 years ago)

Bill

Whatever, Bill...I'm not going to argue with you...what do I know?

I've only been a professional clinician/demonstrator on synths and arrangers for the past 23 years, and a professional keyboardist for over 40. wink

We obviously see/hear/experience things differently, but hey, that's what makes life so interesting.

Enjoy what you play.

Ian

#347917 - 07/27/12 07:02 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

....plus, with Tyros4, there is an included PC based editor for those wanting far more capabilities than the basic one on-board...it is every bit as flexible and powerful as the one in the Motif and MOX series.

Ian

The one thing that Korg simply refuse to do. And is possibly the only area really where the Yamaha universally outshines the Korg.
(The rest of the differences are mainly only according to personal taste)

Korg Italy are just totally block-headed when it comes to releasing the sysex data need to write a PC editing suite...

Yamaha, to their continuing credit (and Roland) have always been public with the sysex...hence the plethora of superb programs (vis-a-vis Michael Bedesem)

#347919 - 07/27/12 07:16 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Just curious, how many of you sound enthusiast can really play the keyboard? I don't mean demonstrate 20 tunes perfectly; I'm talking jam, play, swing whatever. You know something like I say give me a 4 bar turn-a-round. I count the tune off and we swing, jam make happy sounds or maybe soul even funk like Chas, hell even great CW like DonM can do etc.?

Don't get me wrong even the worst of you on the forum should be able to play better than me! Don't forget I'm neither a pianist or a keyboardist. I'm a saxophonist who knows chord theory. As a matter of fact most all saxophonist that I know of, knows chord theory. If he doesn't, we refer to him as an entertainer or showman who makes a lot more money then a saxophonist makes.

Go ahead and tell on each other. You could say something like Boo, John Doe can really play or John Smith is the best Jammer I ever heard.

It is not the sound people, I mean the keyboard, it's the keyboardist. Is there really anyone, I mean anyone here that disagrees with this statement? People it's so true.

If I hit the lottery I want all of you to send me your addresses and I will have shipped to you every workstation and arranger ever made.

Will that help everyone to learn music? You know music, chords, harmony, melody, improvisation and a host of other things pertaining to music besides sounds, sounds and more sounds. Isn't 5000 sounds enough or do you need 5 million.

Hey the only way to get a real sax sound is to learn to play sax. The only way to get a real trumpet sound is learn to play trumpet. The only way to get a comb and tissue paper sound is to go out and purchase a top quality comb and a roll of toilet paper.
Geeeezzzzzz!

Nigel what’s your problem man? When are you going to change this to the “SOUNDS ZONE” forget Arranger forum. Ha ha!
Just joking Nigel!! Russ or someone mentioned to get on you sometimes to encourage you to comment more. Maybe it wasn’t Russ, I just don’t remember. What’s today?

#347922 - 07/27/12 10:39 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bill,

Funny, I just had a sneaky feeling you would mention the Wersi Wing somewhere in all of this, and prey tell me the main difference IYO is the difference between a BMW X5 and a Land Cruiser. Bill, where the hell do you go out listening to live music in a one horse town where you live, it's a retirement conurbation, rotf2 perhaps it's where Dom got all his ideas from. Still Bill I would love to have go on a Wing, but not in a shop near me or you or anyone else for that matter. Bill you are the only man on the island, that's and interesting thought, what records did you take to play, please not jazz bill, BTW you once told me you never use styles, I was curious to know how you play, do you do your own left hand. It's all an acquired taste Bill, but a long time off cry I broke all my train spotters pencils a long time back rotf2

Regards Tony

#347923 - 07/27/12 10:51 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Bill I hope you watched the videos. You might actually learn something.

I am a church musician. I play live music with real musicians every week. Most of them have never edited a single sound on their workstation. Too busy playing i guess. You might want to try that some day.:-) .good luck with making music.

Cheers

Worth

#347924 - 07/27/12 11:52 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

last thing ha ha i promise

Here is some great work from a guy on the korg forums that has posted up a track he made using just the Kronos Workstation. Its good work but every track and every sound could be repoduced on my 10 year old PA1X arranger workstation. including the sampled voice in the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJsT8ruWlA

search on the Korg forums or yamaha motifator. this is typcal of the kind of music produced.

Seems like a whole lot of the diffeences between workstations and arrangers is going to waste......

anyway thanks again for th debate bill

#347928 - 07/28/12 01:01 AM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony

It’s the exact opposite, having to decide which band to go and see is the problem, (My last post was written after I had just returned from watching the tribute band The Darkside of Pink Floyd) with the added advantage that most places serve REAL Ale, so you can really go to town.

Fortunately I was a teenager when the best music ever made and played was produced, (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash, and King Crimson etc.) so that is my primary, however I was also bought up to be tolerant of others which is why I also like classical, Big Band, Euro, Jazz etc. (Jazz is interesting as when I was younger I just could not get it, whereas now I am older I do)

My playing is experimental, which is why styles have little relevance. (There just too limited and repetitive)

X5, Land Cruiser

You have obviously never had the pleasure of driving off road, or you would know the difference, but basically when the going gets challenging the X5 will falter (As does an arranger) whereas a Land Cruiser will just carry on going to give you really in depth excitement. (Workstation)

Spalding

If you think Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord, Chick Chorea, Tangerine Dream etc. could have achieved what they did, on an arranger keyboard, then you really are out of touch with the real world.

Bill

#347929 - 07/28/12 01:43 AM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: abacus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: abacus
Fortunately I was a teenager when the best music ever made and played was produced, (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash, and King Crimson etc.) so that is my primary

And don't forget Yes. Rick Wakeman is a masterful keyboard player.

#347944 - 07/28/12 01:05 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

Bill said
'Spalding

If you think Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord, Chick Chorea, Tangerine Dream etc. could have achieved what they did, on an arranger keyboard, then you really are out of touch with the real world.

Bill'

how many musicians reach the levels of skill these musicians did ?? Perhaps the did not buy the right work station ??????

Come on bill be honest , do you think that it was the fact that they reached the dizzy heights they did because they played a workstation or because they had talent ????

there is the nub of it Bill . I hope you can see that . If not then its you that has lost touch with reality .....

#347947 - 07/28/12 04:23 PM Re: Your arranger keyboard prayers have been answered. [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Spalding

99% of keyboard players have accepted the fact that an arranger and a workstation are two different types of keyboard, designed for two different types of users, with some overlapping components, so why try and change it when it serves no useful purpose.

Be proud that you have an arranger which you are happy with; just like workstation owners are happy with their purchases. (Some people like cheddar cheese, others like Gorgonzola cheese, but cheddar eaters don’t try and convince anybody that cheddar can be made to taste the same as gorgonzola just because they are both called cheese)

Bill

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online