SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#347513 - 07/22/12 08:15 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
The Bose for small stuff instead of a combo amp. The next level up would be the EV system. I currently use 2 sb122 subs and zx1 satellites (all passive) and carry power amps in my rack. The sb2a subs (discontinued now) have 2- 350 watt amps in them each. One to power the sub, and one to power the satellite. Two of these towers would eliminate the power amps in my rack; the powered sb2a subs only weigh 3 lbs more than my sb122 passive subs. Of course it means running power and audio to them; right now I only have to run audio. And having the power amp in the rack (14lbs) allows me to adjust levels if I need to rather than go to the speakers. Although, this level is usually set it and forget it and the master volume setting at the mixer takes care of this..The zx3's would be added for outdoor festivals with an additional power amp I keep in the rack also.

I have found EV is much clearer and lighter weight than the Yamaha comparable pieces. The zx1's are 16 lbs and the 8" speakers sound like 12's- and handle the same power level in some cases....

FYI EV now makes a zxa1 powered sub with one amp for itself. It is designed to use the zxa1 powered satellites. Too much power being run all over the stage.

Bill- Do you play in Clark at the DC?

#347514 - 07/22/12 08:22 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd have to go with a duplicate of the setup I've already taken much time to choose...perfect for my needs...Tyros4, two Yamaha MS60S powered speakers, relevant stands and cables, bench, volume and sustain pedals.

Ian

#347522 - 07/22/12 10:58 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: sparky589]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sparky------I'll be at the DC next week on the 28th. Stop in, like to meet you. Thanks for the info.

Ian ---Like a lot of the members here they already have what they want so it would be the same 2nd time around. Don't you ever need a bigger sound system though??

#347524 - 07/22/12 11:09 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Sparky------I'll be at the DC next week on the 28th. Stop in, like to meet you. Thanks for the info.

Ian ---Like a lot of the members here they already have what they want so it would be the same 2nd time around. Don't you ever need a bigger sound system though??

Bill, you are right...I'd still like to keep the pair of MS60S monitors for restaurant work, and small intimate gigs as I like/need the Tyros4 in stereo.

However, for those bigger jobs, a pair of Bose L1 Model 1 sound systems would be my first choice...I used an exact same system in stereo a few years ago when doing a summer long theater gig...absolutely the best...perfect, even, and strong sound distribution. A teeny tiny tad of weakness in mid-range that I could overcome with the keyboard's EQ.

Ian

#347525 - 07/22/12 11:20 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Just sent you a pm- let me know if the link doesn't work.

#347586 - 07/23/12 08:01 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Already got TWO G70's, so pretty obvious what I would do! Still waiting for something better... And my back is still fine, thanks, Ian!

PA? I kinda like those QSC self powered 10" K10's with a sub. Smooth, small and LOUD!

Studio... a lot harder choices. Still use my K2500S for many projects along with the G70 and a bunch of VSTi.

You know... I haven't really bought anything new in a while, other than a BK-7m (to act more as a sound source for my KX-5 than as any serious arranger needs), despite so much being out. I guess there comes a point where your gear outstrips your needs. I think I passed that after getting the G70!

Maybe I'll just stick with what I know... headphone

#347623 - 07/23/12 01:06 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, here's one "old man" guitar player who would jump at the chance....

Russ

#347628 - 07/23/12 01:59 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Fran, here's one "old man" guitar player who would jump at the chance....

Russ

Hey Russ, you know my post was a complete mockery.. smile

My choices would have to be the complete opposite grin

Roland G70, Roland Cubes, and a cute girl out front wink

That being said...I would let you up on my stage...I just hope you look good in a skirt shocked

#347632 - 07/23/12 02:40 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
OK,Frank, if I don't have to shave my legs!
(And, I'm one hairy SOB-everywhere but my head LOL)!

R.
(Actually, I was SURE the girls would show up, you ole babe magnet!).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online