SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#347374 - 07/20/12 10:29 AM If I Had A Million Game????
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I got booked to do a wedding at a big catering house thats been around for many years. Used to have a restaurant and nightclub too. I got to thinking about an old friend of the family who was a contractor during the day and a musician at night and used to work there. Back in the days when there was live music all over, and this place where he had worked for a long time, had music 6 nights a week. He mostly did a solo on Hammond B3 and Piano and RMI EP. One day the owner comes to him and says, in so many words "the place is going down, how much to leave all your equipment here so it doesn't look suspicious?" He says "10K" ( remember back then a new B3/Leslie went for 3K, console piano maybe 1K, his small sound system and RMI piano maybe another 1K ) Owner says OK !!! Joint goes down in a blaze. He replaced everything with brand new stuff exactly as he had it except now he did it all in Cherrywood. He already had the best stuff available at that time and rarely had to move his setup.

So heres the game-- make believe you lost EVERYTHING in a similiar situation and had to start from scratch. Remember you have to move and set it up all by yourself like you do now, and need to cover all the situations you do now from NH, restaurants, private parties, to big dance affairs of a couple of hundred people. But, you have a boatload of cash to spend.
What would you do? Keys, stands, sound system, computer , etc. ????

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/20/12 10:39 AM)

#347376 - 07/20/12 11:10 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I must disqualify myself as I would first hire a roadie to carry and setup....

#347382 - 07/20/12 01:25 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If there were anything better, without sacrificing weight, I'd already have it.
DonM

#347385 - 07/20/12 01:53 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Without getting into details, I would need about $100,000.00 in replacement equipment to cover the variety of jobs I do.

Guitars and basses would number about 20, including uprights, electric uprights, jazz boxes, nylon string traditional , nylon string Bossa style, mandolin, tenor and 6 string banjo, Strat, Tele, Jazz and P bass, fretless. All are used often.

Keys would include B-3, Rhodes, A synth replacement for a Roland SD201, two Nord pianos, A C-1 or equivalent, An SD-5 for the studio roughs, a set of vibes (Philharmonic jobs)a Midjay plus for studio work.

Amplifiers would include a Fender Acoustasonic, a Fender Super Champ, a JazzKat Phatcat, GK bass heads (2) GK cabinets
(a 12 and a 15 with horn), A Roland Jazz Chorus, Several small powered monitors, Two small 200 watt Carvin sound systems, one large system (4,000 watt Crowns and appropriate cabinets and subs).

Add stands, mics, lights, benches, dollies and the number is very close to $100,000.000.

And that would be only about 5% of what I have now (think 312 stringed instruments). Much of the equipment (like double neck Robin guitars and double neck custom basses) are no longer made.

Man, that's scary. Never thought of what I'd have to replace before. Lots of folks out of Nashville had to face this situation after a major flood several years ago.

Better keep mailing those insurance checks. And I better update/increase some of the coverage.

Russ (pack rat) Lay

#347390 - 07/20/12 02:08 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Better keep mailing those insurance checks. And I better update/increase some of the coverage.
Russ (pack rat) Lay

... and make sure you have fire protection - sprinkler and/or more sophisticated systems,- and have the warehouse on 'stilts' to protect from floods ...

PS we KNOW you can handle the thieves ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/20/12 02:09 PM)

#347397 - 07/20/12 03:38 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Small to medium size QUALITY Grand for living room, best B3 and Leslie 122R I could find plus a Roland TD20 Electronic drum kit(for rehearsal and jamming) for the Recreation room, and a Nord C2D and Leslie 3300 for the occasional gig (as trio). Absolutely nothing else (maybe a Traynor K4 for the drum kit), no computer, no recording equipment, nothing to distract me from just pure playing. I've found that I no longer have the patience or interest to learn complex electronic gear anymore. Old age, I guess.

chas

#347414 - 07/21/12 06:25 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Interesting replies. Capt. Russ definately wins the "I got lots of cool stuff" category. I'm guessing most of the guys on this forum have wha they want and would do a mirror replacement. same as my old friend. He had the best of his era too.

#347418 - 07/21/12 07:06 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
That's easy...I would get a Tyros4 and a Bose Compact...and I would work with an "old" man guitar player..... smile

#347462 - 07/21/12 08:01 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

But really- An Audya that works perfectly like Jims, a Korg PA3X or Yamaha T4 for when it doesn't, a bose L2 compact system w/ 2 bass modules, a soundcraft efx16 mixer w/lexicon effects, a Tascam multitrack digital recorder, Sennheiser 945, a pair of EV SB2A subs , pair of EV zx1's, a set of EV ZX3's to add on for larger stuff, a Petosa AM 1050 and Artista w/Totter Lux4 midi. For now..

#347511 - 07/22/12 08:03 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Atta boy Sparky, you got the idea, go for it all. Just wondering why the Bose system and the EV's. Those ZX1's are tempting me too but I'm waiting for more feedback on the new Yamaha DXR's. I like them better because they have a built in 3 channel mixer and stereo link. But why not, get the Bose too.

#347513 - 07/22/12 08:15 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

The Bose for small stuff instead of a combo amp. The next level up would be the EV system. I currently use 2 sb122 subs and zx1 satellites (all passive) and carry power amps in my rack. The sb2a subs (discontinued now) have 2- 350 watt amps in them each. One to power the sub, and one to power the satellite. Two of these towers would eliminate the power amps in my rack; the powered sb2a subs only weigh 3 lbs more than my sb122 passive subs. Of course it means running power and audio to them; right now I only have to run audio. And having the power amp in the rack (14lbs) allows me to adjust levels if I need to rather than go to the speakers. Although, this level is usually set it and forget it and the master volume setting at the mixer takes care of this..The zx3's would be added for outdoor festivals with an additional power amp I keep in the rack also.

I have found EV is much clearer and lighter weight than the Yamaha comparable pieces. The zx1's are 16 lbs and the 8" speakers sound like 12's- and handle the same power level in some cases....

FYI EV now makes a zxa1 powered sub with one amp for itself. It is designed to use the zxa1 powered satellites. Too much power being run all over the stage.

Bill- Do you play in Clark at the DC?

#347514 - 07/22/12 08:22 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd have to go with a duplicate of the setup I've already taken much time to choose...perfect for my needs...Tyros4, two Yamaha MS60S powered speakers, relevant stands and cables, bench, volume and sustain pedals.

Ian

#347522 - 07/22/12 10:58 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: sparky589]
Bill Lewis Offline

Sparky------I'll be at the DC next week on the 28th. Stop in, like to meet you. Thanks for the info.

Ian ---Like a lot of the members here they already have what they want so it would be the same 2nd time around. Don't you ever need a bigger sound system though??

#347524 - 07/22/12 11:09 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Sparky------I'll be at the DC next week on the 28th. Stop in, like to meet you. Thanks for the info.

Ian ---Like a lot of the members here they already have what they want so it would be the same 2nd time around. Don't you ever need a bigger sound system though??

Bill, you are right...I'd still like to keep the pair of MS60S monitors for restaurant work, and small intimate gigs as I like/need the Tyros4 in stereo.

However, for those bigger jobs, a pair of Bose L1 Model 1 sound systems would be my first choice...I used an exact same system in stereo a few years ago when doing a summer long theater gig...absolutely the best...perfect, even, and strong sound distribution. A teeny tiny tad of weakness in mid-range that I could overcome with the keyboard's EQ.

Ian

#347525 - 07/22/12 11:20 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Just sent you a pm- let me know if the link doesn't work.

#347586 - 07/23/12 08:01 AM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Already got TWO G70's, so pretty obvious what I would do! Still waiting for something better... And my back is still fine, thanks, Ian!

PA? I kinda like those QSC self powered 10" K10's with a sub. Smooth, small and LOUD!

Studio... a lot harder choices. Still use my K2500S for many projects along with the G70 and a bunch of VSTi.

You know... I haven't really bought anything new in a while, other than a BK-7m (to act more as a sound source for my KX-5 than as any serious arranger needs), despite so much being out. I guess there comes a point where your gear outstrips your needs. I think I passed that after getting the G70!

Maybe I'll just stick with what I know... headphone

#347623 - 07/23/12 01:06 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Fran, here's one "old man" guitar player who would jump at the chance....

Russ

#347628 - 07/23/12 01:59 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Fran, here's one "old man" guitar player who would jump at the chance....

Russ

Hey Russ, you know my post was a complete mockery.. smile

My choices would have to be the complete opposite grin

Roland G70, Roland Cubes, and a cute girl out front wink

That being said...I would let you up on my stage...I just hope you look good in a skirt shocked

#347632 - 07/23/12 02:40 PM Re: If I Had A Million Game???? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

OK,Frank, if I don't have to shave my legs!
(And, I'm one hairy SOB-everywhere but my head LOL)!

R.
(Actually, I was SURE the girls would show up, you ole babe magnet!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online