SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#347403 - 07/20/12 11:21 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The Name 1982 an all original synth pop band that I played bass with used to open for INXS on many occasions.
Keyboards being used ... Fender Rhodes, Casiotone, Roland Juno 6.

#347406 - 07/21/12 01:35 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: 124]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: 124
A clip from a movie we did the title music and closing scene for in 1965. That's me on the far right playing a Watkins Telstar combo organ. I've somehow lost that 'slip of a lad' image since then, though.

That's so very cool. What a great memory. Totally 60s.

#347407 - 07/21/12 01:37 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
Fran and Nigel have shown some interesting pictures of bands they have been been in. Most of us have played in a variety of bands. Got pics? Love to see them. Here are a couple of mine from late 80's early 90's. No tee shirts or torn jeans. We dressed for the occasion. smile

Great photos !!!!

#347416 - 07/21/12 06:44 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Nigel,
You're the only one I've never picked on that I can remember, so I want to make this perfectly clear. I'm not picking on you. To me this is a fact!

If that is you to the far right playing the organ in 1864, then the picture on all of your post to the far left must be at least 30 years old.

DonM pulled that gimmick when I first joined the forum. He had a picture of him posted one time of when he was maybe 25 years old. Then when I met him on my first trip to Shreveport, I thought "WOW" he must of gotten hold of some bad anti-aging cream. He went from 25 or so in the picture to at least 55 or so in no time at all from the picture to real life exposure!!!

Man you need to up-date your picture unless your in with Joan Rivers' doctor and he gives you a big discount.

Now if that is really how you look today, I truly beg your pardon and I apologize. LOL

In any event, you are just one of us old farts, anyway you look at it!! You just look better than the rest of us.

If I get no reply from you, I'll really be disappointed. Say something... this has nothing to do with Jazz or picking on Uncle Dave. OK?

#347420 - 07/21/12 08:17 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Here's one of my first bands as a kid mid 60's......
we had so much fun on stage,.... Trio with two girls good times 1980's Korgs SAS20 their first Arranger KB, LH bass on a Yamaha CS-01!

Donny ... what building is that behind "Just Us" ?

#347421 - 07/21/12 08:35 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Jerry T]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Jerry T
Well Tony, it turns out that there were about 3,000 bands called the KeyNotes and yes we used Combo Orks. That was the cusp of the end of the big band era and the beginning of Rock. Most of our repertoire were "standards" with a sprinkling of the new 3 chord tunes. Most requested tune was Stardust. None of us could afford an amp and we rented the amp (shown) for each gig from a local music store for $2.00 per gig. The tuxes were bought from a rental place - all with frayed cuffs and collars.
Fran, we didn't play many 'nice' places ... played many a night during all out brawls and we just played on. Our first gigs payed whatever was in the hat - 'pass the hat'. We were thrilled if we got $10 each. Soon after high school, the band broke up and I bought an amp (still have it, Esty/Panaramic tube amp), hooked up with a trio and played a joint where we played in the middle of the bar because it was too dangerous on the stage. Lots of memories.
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry ... The first band I started at about 16 yrs old, was named "The Twilighters" and "Twilight Time" (Three Suns version - way before "The Platters" grin ) was our theme song ... I used a drummer who had the band "The Keynotes" ... when the Twilighters started getting HS dances and such, the sax player from The Keynotes wanted in so he suggested to the drummer that we 'merge' the bands ... One night they came to me and asked if I wanted to join the Keynotes and would I spend $5 to buy a 'band jacket' ... I said yes, and that was the start ... I later found out they had asked a piano player about buying the jacket and he said no ... his loss - my gain ... for 26 years !!! rocker

We also went the 'pass the hat' route - didn't everybody?!? - and also the "play this gig for free and you can name your price on the next one" ... still waiting for "the next one" ... rotfl

#347425 - 07/21/12 10:04 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Here's one of my first bands as a kid mid 60's......
we had so much fun on stage,.... Trio with two girls good times 1980's Korgs SAS20 their first Arranger KB, LH bass on a Yamaha CS-01!

Donny ... what building is that behind "Just Us" ?

Monsignor Farrell High School in SI...

#347426 - 07/21/12 10:08 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Here's a few members of my Wedding Bands I played in thru the years ....

Top... "Essence"

Bot... "Champagne"

Attachments
Dp old band.jpg

DpChampagne.jpg

#347427 - 07/21/12 10:16 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Donny,
I just realize why Gary refers to you as just a kid. Man in 1964 I had three babies in diapers.

lol Boo how old are you YIKES!!!! laugh
I'll be 60 next week ... frown

The kids today will never have the experiences we lived thru in playing music, lots of changes since we were kids and its nice to incorporate it ALL into what we do on stage now...we are the LAST generation that can claim this....
when we're gone it's all over and who knows what computer driven music will prevail....I'm glad I was around growing up in my times some old the old and some of the new makes a nice mix. Enjoy your life it goes very quick.

#347429 - 07/21/12 10:27 AM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Lookin' good Donny. Here's the last band I had prior to scaling down to a duo.
The Celebration Band. Late 80's I think.

Attachments
The Celebration Band.jpg

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online