SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#347383 - 07/20/12 01:42 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... what studio was that with? ...
Lydia and I both studied accordion at a studio in SI - that's where we met - played in the accordion band up until about 1962 when I went into the service ... competed in American Accordionists Association competitions in many cities ... did quite well, too ...
Biggest moment was playing in Carnegie Hall ...
Back in the day !!! grin
PS ... which of those guys is you?

Edited by tony mads usa (07/20/12 01:42 PM)

#347386 - 07/20/12 01:58 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Double post stop

Edited by Dnj (07/20/12 02:01 PM)

#347387 - 07/20/12 02:00 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Front row left where it says Donny..lol
Thats Maggio Music School Bensonhurst Brooklyn
I did all that concert stuff also.....moved to SI
when I was 17.......

#347388 - 07/20/12 02:02 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Eddie ... you guys certainly did look patriotic ... which 'technics' kb were you using?

#347389 - 07/20/12 02:03 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Front row left where it says Donny..lol

Obviously, I missed that ... grin

#347392 - 07/20/12 02:16 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tony....
I can't remember the Technics model number, but photo was in '82 so it was one of the really early models. I remember it took a minimum 4 button push to get to a style and set up a song. And everything sounded so cheesy compared to today's gear. I used the Technics in conjunction with an early model Korg, which had much better piano sounds but was very limited in style offerings.

All the Lois Lane bands I played in spent as much time on showmanship and entertainment as they did on the music. When I think back on some of the costuming and corny jokes...its almost embarrassing...but boy was it fun at the time.
Eddie

#347394 - 07/20/12 02:39 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
Tony....
I can't remember the Technics model number, but photo was in '82 so it was one of the really early models. I remember it took a minimum 4 button push to get to a style and set up a song. And everything sounded so cheesy compared to today's gear. I used the Technics in conjunction with an early model Korg, which had much better piano sounds but was very limited in style offerings.

All the Lois Lane bands I played in spent as much time on showmanship and entertainment as they did on the music. When I think back on some of the costuming and corny jokes...its almost embarrassing...but boy was it fun at the time.
Eddie

Our "Keynotes" band always had the latest style tux, ... we used to do a 'floor show' featuring our lead singer which was good, but we had some 'corny' routines also ... but as you say, it was fun, and we got hired and re-hired - A LOT !!!

#347395 - 07/20/12 03:15 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The entertainment aspect made us a "fun" group. Our goal was to make sure the audience had fun. Dance...laugh....sing along...whatever.

Once, only once, did we do an upscale country club that, we later learned, just wanted ballroom dance music. The manager said he could not have us back because we were "too dynamic". Another lesson learned about reading an audience and recognizing "different strokes......"

We were later hired back under a different name and knew exactly what was expected of us.

#347398 - 07/20/12 04:01 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Our "Keynotes" band always had the latest style tux, ... we used to do a 'floor show' featuring our lead singer which was good, but we had some 'corny' routines also ... but as you say, it was fun, and we got hired and re-hired - A LOT !!!

That's right, Tony. Back in the day all the bands had pretty sharp suits, etc. In that movie clip, our suits were custom made of 'slub mohair' in an olive green shade, the handmade shirts, the handmade boots, good stuff. Of course, the film company ponied up the tab for that little lot. Our regular stage dress was a bit more, let's say, frugal.

#347401 - 07/20/12 08:35 PM Re: Bands you were in [Re: btweengigs]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny,
I just realize why Gary refers to you as just a kid. Man in 1964 I had three babies in diapers.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online