SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#347150 - 07/16/12 09:52 PM wireless speaker system..anyone familiar with them
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've always wanted a quadraphonic sound for the music. Two speakers in the front of the room and two in the back. Of course, you can't have wires running all over the place.

I thought, when I first saw the systems appear a few years ago, that there would be a lot on the market and everyone would be using them. What happened?

I Googled and found not much. Is there a reason this type of system hasn't caught on (like wireless mike systems)?

Mark
1952 Studebaker

#347155 - 07/17/12 03:20 AM Re: wireless speaker system..anyone familiar with them [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mark

Interference mainly

All wireless systems have to use designated frequency’s (Usually set by Government Agency’s) and unfortunately the ones allocated for wireless sound transmission are almost (And in some countries are) the same as mobile phones, thus with the explosion in mobile phone use it has become difficult for manufactures to design a reliable system.

Things are slowly changing as more frequency’s get freed up, so hopefully you won’t have too much longer to wait.

Hope this helps

Bill

#347157 - 07/17/12 04:37 AM Re: wireless speaker system..anyone familiar with them [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mark, I have used my standard sound systems this way via an instrument wireless transmitter/reciever..like a guitarist would use,but connecting to amps instead of a guitar..

#347204 - 07/17/12 09:33 PM Re: wireless speaker system..anyone familiar with them [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks, guys. That makes a lot of sense about the lack of frequencies. As I recall, the wireless speaker concept was coming into vogue about 10 years ago......just when the mobile phone boom started.

And as Fran said, it can be done, but I'm guessing there would be a lot of dropout especially at those distances.

I'll survive without it for now, but it would be nice to have a pair of 12's in the back of the room to fill out the sound.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online