SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#347367 - 07/20/12 08:06 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Fran-

any idea if the BK-5 will drive a Ketron SD2 or SD4 - I see it does not have a sequencer for rhythms/drums including drums?

#347373 - 07/20/12 09:47 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: sparky589
Fran-

any idea if the BK-5 will drive a Ketron SD2 or SD4 - I see it does not have a sequencer for rhythms/drums including drums?

Sparky, yes it will send and receive midi data...thus control the Ketron units...both SMF play and arranger play will transmit the data to the SD models..

The lack of a on board sequencer prevets the recording of the midi data originating from the keyboard, but not the transmitting of the same data...

#347375 - 07/20/12 11:06 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Any idea if it will do so across banks with different control change #'s, or just the first 128 gm sound bank? My Orla won't do that - voice 130 on the Orla calls up voice 2 on the ketron(s).

#347378 - 07/20/12 12:04 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

BK5 transmits and receives Bank select as well as program change..

#347422 - 07/21/12 08:50 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

One more question before I go shopping- I saw another thread where someone could not get it to work as a slave module- the arranger would not respond to external commands. Do you know this to be true? Have you ever tried to control it with your G-70?

#347423 - 07/21/12 08:53 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: sparky589
One more question before I go shopping- I saw another thread where someone could not get it to work as a slave module- the arranger would not respond to external commands. Do you know this to be true? Have you ever tried to control it with your G-70?

Sparky, I have to leave for a gig...when I get back I will run the BK5 and the G70 thru it's paces...

#347439 - 07/21/12 01:22 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Sparky, just tried the BK5 with the G70 as a controller...No problems...It depends what you need to do and how capable your controller keyboard....

Folks that were having trouble, apparently did not understand midi that well and the need to set up the midi sets...

You will have to go into menu/ arranger setting/ select the NTA (Note to arranger) channel you need to match the controller...and the control channels you need to handle program changes, style selection....etc..

As for the selection of fills and variations etc...It is better to select direct from the BK5....most keyboard controllers will not be able to send this code.... Sync start and midi clock can also be set...

I also checked the transmit/receive for bank select and program change...no problems...

#347456 - 07/21/12 05:28 PM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Thanks alot Fran. I usually set up multiple profiles in my modules for midi transmit/receive channels for different instruments. I would like to run the Roland thru my sd4 to pick up additional or better sounds. And I run my accordion (with Totter midi) into an SD2 when I play with the band. For singles I'd like to use the midi thru from the SD2 back into the roland to use it's arranger. Foot pedal would take care of fills etc in this case. I imagine I would have to turn the "local" off in the Roland to run it this way. I use both instruments in either type of performance.

#347719 - 07/24/12 11:58 AM Re: Roland BK5 helpful hint.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I believe the BK-5 doesn't have the 'Wizard' setup tools that come in the BK-7m, so setting up reception channels, controllers and the like might be a bit initially more difficult on the BK-5, but there are several performance tools with buttons on the front panel of the BK-5 that are missing, buried in menus, and possibly not MIDI trigger-able in the BK-7m.

I guess it boils down to just how familiar you are with getting different things to talk MIDI with each other. A good controller ought to get you possibly MORE control than you can get out of most modern arrangers (none of them offer customization of what the sliders, if any, do, whereas with a good controller, you can CHOOSE what you want, where you want it, etc.), but at the cost of some serious head-scratching as no two companies ever seem to document their MIDI capabilities in the same layout and language.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online