SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346839 - 07/12/12 08:23 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Bill, you are so lucky to get to see top keyboary OMB pros like UD, DNJ, and Fran. In my neck of the woods there seems to be nobody performing out in public doing arranger KB stuff. Maybe I need to take a trip to New Jersey?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#346840 - 07/12/12 08:35 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul,

Several years ago my wife and I drove about 5,000 miles visiting various members of the Synthzone and watching them perform. Also attended the Shreveport, LA Synthzone Jam that DonM put together a couple years in a row. We had a great time, learned a lot from everyone, and met some wonderful performers. I've visited Donny, Uncle Dave and Fran (never saw Fran perform, though) and again, learned a lot from the Three Amigos.

Make the trip - you won't regret it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#346841 - 07/12/12 08:42 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Many people are just too lazy to memorize music and lyrics....I see many readers that sound to robotic with no soul.....because their mind is buried in the charts......I've said it many times on SZ...to rehearse blindfold yourself and play and sing....learn one song at a time....playing and singing should be Secondary when you perfom...close those books and just play!!

Donny, that's some of the best advice I've read on SZ. One my alltime favorite jazz pianist Bill Evans said "It's much better to spend 30 hours on one tune than to play 30 tunes in one hour.”

I have several huge binders with 1000's of tunes that I can read through and I guess I sound allright. but how entertaining is it to watch a guy with a keyboard reading music? I really just need to buckel down and develope what Scott Yee calls a "Core Repertoire". Rather than having 1000's of songs I read through, I rather have a few dozen that I can play at an effortless level leaving me free to perfrom.

I'm out of here...I gotta practice!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#346844 - 07/12/12 08:53 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Now you got the idea Paul........stage presence is crucial....Memorize and adlib all your your songs.....look the audience right in the eyes mix it up and give em Hell..!!!

#346872 - 07/12/12 09:13 PM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Scott Langholff]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
All you have to do to post pics on the new SZ is:

Click New Topic or Reply > File Manager > Browse (select pic)> Add File > Done Adding Files > Submit.

And you're all done. No need for photobucket or anything of that nature anymore. And these pics will be permanent unlike doing it the other way.

Thanks Scott for pointing that out to everyone. That way their pics will always be available unlike most of the file share sites.

#346873 - 07/12/12 09:15 PM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Now you got the idea Paul........stage presence is crucial....Memorize and adlib all your your songs.....look the audience right in the eyes mix it up and give em Hell..!!!

You bet Donny. Great advice.

#346875 - 07/12/12 11:04 PM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Nigel]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tell me I'm not the best looking Cajun Tenor Sax player living in Colorado that you ever did see. Talk about stage presence!!!!! If you don't agree, you're either blind or jealous. Eat your hearts out all you Cajun Sax players living in Colorado. Hey I just did this for a test to try posting a picture. I'm gonna leave it here.

It is a good looking Buescher "400" Tenor with engraving.

The Selmer Sax that I bought in High School for $695 Brand Spanking New in approx 1956- 1958 was stolen out of a club I worked in. On eBay now they are selling from $5000 to $15,000+.

Attachments
imagesPosing with sax.jpg

Edited by brickboo (07/12/12 11:12 PM)

#346880 - 07/13/12 05:14 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
On eBay now they are selling from $5000 to $15,000+.

That's why I stole it.

Anonymous

smile smile

#346885 - 07/13/12 05:57 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Paul,

Several years ago my wife and I drove about 5,000 miles visiting various members of the Synthzone and watching them perform. Also attended the Shreveport, LA Synthzone Jam that DonM put together a couple years in a row. We had a great time, learned a lot from everyone, and met some wonderful performers. I've visited Donny, Uncle Dave and Fran (never saw Fran perform, though) and again, learned a lot from the Three Amigos.

Make the trip - you won't regret it.

Gary cool

Gary...we've met many times and for me was ALWAYS a pleasure and ALWAYS a fun time.....life is all about learning from each other.......Fran & Dave are Gods to me .....always there for each other and we always share our experiences which equates to improving what we do musically on stage after all there almost 150 years of experience put together....that alone says volumes....I think it's time for a Maryland JAM?....

#346893 - 07/13/12 09:11 AM Re: Saw a Great Act last night [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, DNJ, Fran, Dave . . . some of my better pupils.
smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online