SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346378 - 07/03/12 04:40 PM I'll try one more time
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You might find a few tunes this soulful maybe, and that's a big maybe! When this guy finished this tune, he must have lost 10 pounds of guts that were found in his mouthpiece and at the bottom of his axe, after they rushed him to the hospital!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVATVc0odJY

#346379 - 07/03/12 05:08 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Just had to do this too. I was playing this tune on the street. This three hundred pound "Brother" came right up to the keyboard smiling and looking around at the crowd. When I finished he was stunned. Turns out he plays Bass with a few groups around town. He said his dad used to sing this tuned around the house when he was a kid.

Man, if this kind of stuff would happen more often my conscious would bother me for taking pay. I'd just do it for the smiles. I never forget this night a year or three ago CHECH IT OUT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yBPp14BFI

#346384 - 07/03/12 07:27 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
David Sanborn is a very emotional player ...
"Give Me The Simple Life" ... as long as it has a nice band with a string section ... wink
Good choices, boo ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/03/12 07:27 PM)

#346462 - 07/05/12 03:49 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, man, that's "unfiltered" Sanborn.
Nuff said!

R.

#346465 - 07/05/12 05:14 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Emilio "Mimi" Castillo. Is one of my favorites on sax TOP.

Edited by Dnj (07/05/12 07:36 PM)

#346471 - 07/05/12 06:09 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Smokin!! Carlos Santana and former member Chester Thompson sitting in. BTW I don't believe that was Emilio doing the sax solo but who cares--Great Stuff!!

#346473 - 07/05/12 09:29 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Donny,

All over the WEB you can hear lots of Saxophonist play like that. They are "Rockers," "Jazz Fusion," players.

It's hard to find someone that sounds like Dexter, Rollins, Coltrane, Sanborn and a few others. These guys were one of a kind. Everyone who wants to play like them can't.

Everyone who wants to play like the rockers can. There's a lot of the same notes played with different articulation, honking, tricks etc. It's easier to copy. No insult meant.

The Jazzers are a different ballgame. The licks are much more complicated and very difficult to sing back than the honking of the same note played over and over. Kind of like comparing Santos, and the guitar note benders with a Howard Roberts style guitar player.

Everyone enjoys the honkers. I do too. 95% to 99% of America likes country music the best. That's why Country singers sell more recordings than the Rockers, Jazzers and so, so musicians all put together. Ha ha! There's no doubt about that.

I guess in essence as I've said before a bunch of times, many Sax players can honk. Some of the honkers would like to play like the Jazzers but can't.

Even if some of us could live to 1000 years old, we couldn't do what the real Jazzers do. We just have to face it, some people are just geniuses at their craft. Einstein was a genius in his field, but he could not play Jazz Saxophone that I've ever heard of. Ha, ha! I'm getting closer to being a genius every day at Suduko. Another 100 years and I might make it.

#346488 - 07/06/12 08:58 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]

TOP!!!!! It just FEELS GOOD listening to them. Horn player COOKED, whoever he is.

Carlos, sadly, was way out of his league....embarrassing!

Russ

BTW, take a good look at the keyboard. Looks like a B-2 and something else in a more portable case.....COOL!

Edited by captain Russ (07/06/12 09:00 AM)

#346497 - 07/06/12 01:22 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Up front I'll say I don't know a darn about sax playing techniques, but I do know what I like. So, for what it's worth, here's who I was brought up on. First, via Jimmy Smith albums, Stanley Turrentine and Lou Donaldson. A drummer friend of mine met him on a Jazz Cruise he was doing a few years ago. He said Donaldson still had the chops and he must have been in his eighties then. Secondly, I always liked the sound of Ben Webster - such distinctive sound and tone.

I also, way back in the mists of time, had an album of a guy called Curtis Amy with another guy whose name now escapes me, but I always enjoyed that album.

#346500 - 07/06/12 03:52 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Well, as I relax here on my back deck sipping a T 'n' T, I thought I would add MY two favorite sax players: Paul Desmond -the sweetest sounds to EVER come out of an alto sax-, and Gerry Mulligan - the BEST bari ever -
One of the best quotes from Paul Desmond: "I want to sound like a dry Martini" bow

#346501 - 07/06/12 04:30 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]

Good taste, guys. Desmond is fabulous. All good players, 124.

R.

#346502 - 07/06/12 05:02 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Tony, 124, you guys have good taste. There's lots of great Jazz Tenor Sax players. If you listen careful you discover things. After listening many times I realized Sonny Rollins hits a couple of Getz licks and he doesn't sound or play close to Getz style. However they are both great to listen to and learn from. Stanley is great but different too. I just keep mentioning my favorites, but I enjoy anyone that plays Tenor Sax well. Tenor Sax has always been prevalent in jazz music. Thanks for your post about your favorites. I agree with Russ' post.

#346503 - 07/06/12 07:38 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boo, you seem to favor the true 'Bop' pioneers, which makes me surprised that David Sanborn would be one of your favorites. Although I love David Sanborn, I wouldn't think of lumping him in with say, Dexter Gordon. I mean, different styles, different eras, different genre's (except for the general heading of 'jazz').

Out of curiosity, where do you put or rank Julian 'Cannonball' Adderly? Some of the most popular Miles stuff was when he was with Miles. Of course, this was during that very unique period of so-called "Cool Jazz" (as personified by Miles Davis. Some people loved it, some purist had mixed feelings about it. How about you? I think Cannonball suffered from constantly being compared to Bird, but to ME, although a great player, he was no Charlie Parker. Interested in your thoughts.

chas

#346504 - 07/06/12 07:45 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Right On Tony. You picked my favorites too.
Eddie

#346507 - 07/06/12 09:30 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Boo, you seem to favor the true 'Bop' pioneers, which makes me surprised that David Sanborn would be one of your favorites. Although I love David Sanborn, I wouldn't think of lumping him in with say, Dexter Gordon. I mean, different styles, different eras, different genre's (except for the general heading of 'jazz').

Out of curiosity, where do you put or rank Julian 'Cannonball' Adderly? Some of the most popular Miles stuff was when he was with Miles. Of course, this was during that very unique period of so-called "Cool Jazz" (as personified by Miles Davis. Some people loved it, some purist had mixed feelings about it. How about you? I think Cannonball suffered from constantly being compared to Bird, but to ME, although a great player, he was no Charlie Parker. Interested in your thoughts.

chas

Chas, Adderley was great, He was super clean. It's hard to compare anyone with the "BIRD." His stuff was recorded live I think with a $2 recorder. It's sad that it's so hard to get a good clear sounding recording with the "BIRD." I like when Charley said," I really got to bopping when I figured out that I could start a solo on any note no matter what key the tune was in", or something to that affect. I thought that was cool.

No body plays with more soul then Sanborn, not even "Hank Crawford" who plays that knockout intro for Ray Charles on "The Night Time Is The Right Time," back in 1958. Ck it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ro_5XyfWds

Chas anyone that can really play well I truly enjoy. I think I said before that I prefer Tenor, and that alto I can't listen to as long. I can listen to Sanborn play ballads all night. He does "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and others on his album "Pearl."

I went to a concert Sanborn did here a few years back and I hated him. He didn't play one of those terrific ballads he does. He played that fusion stuff that does nothing to me, and neither does Smooth Jazz. I don't flip over it either.

I really enjoy that Funk organist that you posted. We tried to play that stuff back in the 50's 60's 70's. We just didn't do it as well as he and he alto and guitar buddies do it. Man they are a bunch of Jazz Funk Students from somewhere. Definitely not self taught. There I've Said It Again.

Chas I'm similar to you and Russ. If it's good, I'm going to listen and see if I can learn something. I'm burned out on tunes with just 25 chords. Ha ha.

I heard a tenor man in New Orleans soloing for 1000 choruses or more one night. I didn't think the sax had that many notes. It sounded like he didn't play the same note twice. He was known as "The Skull." He shaved his head before Kojak.

My trombone buddy who had 9 years experience on me ask me what "The Skull" was playing. I found out when he returned to the melody after the piano player and bass player played 1000 choruses too. It was "When The Saints Go Marching In." Ha ha!

Chas if I didn't explain it the way I should have, ask again in an email. I think I'm boring everyone here to death. Lol!

#346522 - 07/07/12 07:54 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Hearing - or reading - someone speak about his/her passion is never boring, except, PERHAPS, if one has absolutely NO interest in the subject ... but WE are all interested in music, no?, and therefore hearing about artists of all genres should be interesting ...
I would like to apologize for omitting MY favorite tenor player - Stan Getz - who I listened to a great deal during his bossa nova days with Jobim and Astrud Gilberto ...

Many years ago, while listening to Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" when it first came out, the sax player in our band said "that sounds like Phil Woods playing the alto solo" ... Sure enough, it was ...
I consider myself to be very fortunate to have heard these and other great Jazz artists live ... I know I have not heard nearly as many as some of you, but I've heard a few ... smile

#346523 - 07/07/12 08:12 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Love David Sanborn, especially his work with keyboardist Bob James.

Some fine playing by both.

Ian

#346524 - 07/07/12 08:26 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Seems weird but when I'm not on stage I rarely ever listen to music....when I'm off work......I'm off work.....even in my car no radio......but that's just me.........don't want to get musical burnout.

#346532 - 07/07/12 09:02 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny when your in the car just whistle a happy tune..

There She blows mi old Shipmate!!! drink

#346534 - 07/07/12 09:41 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

When I'm drivingng in my car I'm thinking.....quiet and calm.

#346535 - 07/07/12 09:50 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Take your pick...

#346538 - 07/07/12 11:15 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

I started listening to Jazz to learn things about music that I never knew before. Super fine licks, (I still can't play them).

For me it is a learning adventure. But now, I also relax listening to the stuff you can't even tap your foot to for more then 4 beats. Ha ha!

Of course if you already know everything about music, you shouldn't listen to anything, because you will be disappointed. LOL.

Edited by brickboo (07/07/12 11:17 AM)

#346542 - 07/07/12 02:46 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]

The great Getz. I was raised on bossa. Did all the Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66 tunes. Loved Astrid. Jose Feleciano was a guitar god to me when I was young. The bridge between jazz and bossa covers a very short distance.

Tony, you're too modest. Your knowledge and appreciation of ALL types of music is admirable.

Russ

#346546 - 07/07/12 06:08 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

How ya gonna beat "Girl From Ipanema," "Desifinada?" This is beautiful Jazz.

Russ all of the different groups I worked with all did the Jose tunes. I still like him. Again, I like anything that's good other than Classical or Opera.

#346593 - 07/08/12 02:06 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
When I'm drivingng in my car I'm thinking.....quiet and calm.

Donny ... I'm not being facetious, but since you are now apparently doing a lot of DJing, how do you know what the current tunes are?
thnx

#346595 - 07/08/12 02:07 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Love David Sanborn, especially his work with keyboardist Bob James.

Some fine playing by both.

Ian

They have BOTH done some really nice stuff ... IMHO ...

I play Choo Choo Ch'Boogie ... LOVE it ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/08/12 02:09 PM)

#346596 - 07/08/12 02:11 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Tony, you're too modest. Your knowledge and appreciation of ALL types of music is admirable.
Russ

blush smile

#346599 - 07/08/12 02:42 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like Ace Cannon and Boots Randolph. I guess they are honkers.
DonM

#346602 - 07/08/12 04:12 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Don,
That must be why you pay me compliments. I can play everything those guys ever did since 1957 after 3 months of High School music classes. Lol

#346605 - 07/08/12 05:03 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was always a Bill Doggett fan, but then again, I'm older than Boo. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#346606 - 07/08/12 05:11 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Gary,
Are you sure you can't sail to Grand Junction and take me sailing in Lake Powell?

#346615 - 07/08/12 08:13 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Don,
That must be why you pay me compliments. I can play everything those guys ever did since 1957 after 3 months of High School music classes. Lol

And I can play the stuff with one finger, but I still like it!
I also like Bill Doggett, Gary.
Just because you can play 114 notes in a measure, doesn't mean you HAVE to!
DonM

#346617 - 07/08/12 10:23 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Don,
Come, come now I can't play anything as fast as you. Remember Yakety Sax? Like I said many times before, you play guitar licks faster and cleaner on the keyboard than most guitar players. They get stuck on bending notes way too much to get the girls oohn and aahn.

#346636 - 07/09/12 07:18 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Boo, you mentioned Hank Crawford a while back. I remember a smokin' track or three where he played with Jack McDuff, but I can't remember for the life of me what album that was. Any ideas? Maybe Russ knows, or Tony?

#346639 - 07/09/12 07:30 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: 124]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Boo, you mentioned Hank Crawford a while back. I remember a smokin' track or three where he played with Jack McDuff, but I can't remember for the life of me what album that was. Any ideas? Maybe Russ knows, or Tony?

Did you mean Jimmy McGriff...Crawford had a best of album in 2001 with McGriff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THK5FVuptp0

Edited by Fran Carango (07/09/12 07:39 AM)

#346641 - 07/09/12 08:17 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

I'm from back in the late 50's just when Ray Charles made it big with "I Got A Woman." This is where I learned about Hank Crawford. He did quite a bit of Ray's arrangements. I did not know of him gigging with McDuff. Man, do I remember that Tenor Sax solo on that tune by "David Fathead Newman."

Listen to Fathead's phrasing, articulation and choice of licks. Then again anything that "Hank Crawford" or "Fathead" did IMHO rates as top of the line sax soloing for that time period.

124, The tunes below are Fathead with Ray. Man dig Ray's chord voicing. Talk about "Rootless" chords. He sounds great playing two-note chords. Ha ha! The first is "Ain't Misbehaving."
Fathead's over-all sound to me, would be nice just listening to him blow one note all night and I would listen just to his sound.

124 dig this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxLb7iEnJIw

Now this following version is similar but faster than the one that our band copied in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfrbzsEf2E

Fran, where the heck have you been? Have you lost your girls and been out looking for replacements? Man you should get some ugly girls and then they would make you look better. Think about it!

Edited by brickboo (07/09/12 08:23 AM)

#346642 - 07/09/12 09:12 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I don't believe that was Emilio doing the sax solo but who cares--Great Stuff!!

Nope, Mimi doesn't play the solos - that's Tommy P!(Politzer)

#346645 - 07/09/12 09:31 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Man you should get some ugly girls and then they would make you look better. Think about it!

Redd Foxx once said, "One out of four people is ugly, so if the three people you're with look ok.............".

chas

#346650 - 07/09/12 09:44 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Tony Hughes Offline

Fran, where the heck have you been? Have you lost your girls and been out looking for replacements? Man you should get some ugly girls and then they would make you look better. Think about it!

Maybe a bang on his head ....hey....might sort things out... rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346652 - 07/09/12 09:52 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I've always liked "Black Orpheus" from the Bert Brandsma Swing Trio..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylINL4eSY3w

Sonny Rollins' "How Are Things in Glocca Morra" is a favorite- slow and smokey..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZ7S5gghPo

#346663 - 07/09/12 11:20 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Sparky who in the hell are you? How dare you put up better Rollins stuff then me. Lol!!

My old trombone buddy often on any tune we would play, would hit the "Quote" "How Are Things in Glocca Morra" on his solos. He really used to turn me on with the "Quotes" here and there.

A great one he would do on "Tea For Two" and it hit the nail on the head was the phrase, "take my hand I'm a stranger in paradise." The tune is called, "Hold My Hand." He was older than the rest of us and had jazz experience.

The rest of us in the band knew "Stardust," Satin Doll," and the "Saints Go Marching In" and we thought we were big time Jazzers, until Eddie Hynes joined the band.

Man you brought back some real fine memories posting "How Are Things In Glocca Morra."
Thanks Sparky

#346674 - 07/09/12 03:08 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Fran, thanks for putting up that track with Crawford and McGriff - I hadn't heard that one before. Superb. I'm going to have to do some more digging, because I'm sure Crawford did an album with McDuff and it's going to drive me nuts, now.

Boo, thanks to you also, for the Ray Charles tracks. I never caught on to Ray Charles until after his first monster hit in the UK, What'd I Say (I was about 14 at the time). All the groups were doing those things, What'd I Say, I Gotta Woman, Let the Good Times Roll etc. - great days. So anyway, when I went looking, I found some of his earlier jazz stuff. I was surprised (don't know why) and delighted at the same time.

Thanks again, guys.

#346680 - 07/09/12 06:47 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

I think many people think that Ray Charles only did, I Can't Stop Lovin You," and "You Don't Know me."

I bet many have not heard this stuff I'm posting. Maybe from these posting of Ray, some will understand my fascination with the guy. Frank Sinatra referred to him as "Mr Ray Charles the only genius in our business." What a compliment eh? From Sinatra?

Feast on these. David "Fathead" Newman does a bit on these too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqszaF0n11E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=6hHH8KrkO-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqz876VkwwY

I had the privilege of having Mac Rebenack come sit in at the club where I played pretty regular for a while. I also worked with him on a gig but just one time, lol. He wasn't Dr. John then. Just plain old Mac. He was originnally a guitar player but he got a finger shot off in a bar fight (that's Cajuns for ya). I think he couldn't chord the guitar after that.

124, Maybe you'll appreciate this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxX15ziypzs

Edited by brickboo (07/09/12 06:47 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online