SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346501 - 07/06/12 04:30 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good taste, guys. Desmond is fabulous. All good players, 124.

R.

#346502 - 07/06/12 05:02 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tony, 124, you guys have good taste. There's lots of great Jazz Tenor Sax players. If you listen careful you discover things. After listening many times I realized Sonny Rollins hits a couple of Getz licks and he doesn't sound or play close to Getz style. However they are both great to listen to and learn from. Stanley is great but different too. I just keep mentioning my favorites, but I enjoy anyone that plays Tenor Sax well. Tenor Sax has always been prevalent in jazz music. Thanks for your post about your favorites. I agree with Russ' post.

#346503 - 07/06/12 07:38 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boo, you seem to favor the true 'Bop' pioneers, which makes me surprised that David Sanborn would be one of your favorites. Although I love David Sanborn, I wouldn't think of lumping him in with say, Dexter Gordon. I mean, different styles, different eras, different genre's (except for the general heading of 'jazz').

Out of curiosity, where do you put or rank Julian 'Cannonball' Adderly? Some of the most popular Miles stuff was when he was with Miles. Of course, this was during that very unique period of so-called "Cool Jazz" (as personified by Miles Davis. Some people loved it, some purist had mixed feelings about it. How about you? I think Cannonball suffered from constantly being compared to Bird, but to ME, although a great player, he was no Charlie Parker. Interested in your thoughts.

chas

#346504 - 07/06/12 07:45 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Right On Tony. You picked my favorites too.
Eddie

#346507 - 07/06/12 09:30 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Boo, you seem to favor the true 'Bop' pioneers, which makes me surprised that David Sanborn would be one of your favorites. Although I love David Sanborn, I wouldn't think of lumping him in with say, Dexter Gordon. I mean, different styles, different eras, different genre's (except for the general heading of 'jazz').

Out of curiosity, where do you put or rank Julian 'Cannonball' Adderly? Some of the most popular Miles stuff was when he was with Miles. Of course, this was during that very unique period of so-called "Cool Jazz" (as personified by Miles Davis. Some people loved it, some purist had mixed feelings about it. How about you? I think Cannonball suffered from constantly being compared to Bird, but to ME, although a great player, he was no Charlie Parker. Interested in your thoughts.

chas

Chas, Adderley was great, He was super clean. It's hard to compare anyone with the "BIRD." His stuff was recorded live I think with a $2 recorder. It's sad that it's so hard to get a good clear sounding recording with the "BIRD." I like when Charley said," I really got to bopping when I figured out that I could start a solo on any note no matter what key the tune was in", or something to that affect. I thought that was cool.

No body plays with more soul then Sanborn, not even "Hank Crawford" who plays that knockout intro for Ray Charles on "The Night Time Is The Right Time," back in 1958. Ck it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ro_5XyfWds

Chas anyone that can really play well I truly enjoy. I think I said before that I prefer Tenor, and that alto I can't listen to as long. I can listen to Sanborn play ballads all night. He does "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and others on his album "Pearl."

I went to a concert Sanborn did here a few years back and I hated him. He didn't play one of those terrific ballads he does. He played that fusion stuff that does nothing to me, and neither does Smooth Jazz. I don't flip over it either.

I really enjoy that Funk organist that you posted. We tried to play that stuff back in the 50's 60's 70's. We just didn't do it as well as he and he alto and guitar buddies do it. Man they are a bunch of Jazz Funk Students from somewhere. Definitely not self taught. There I've Said It Again.

Chas I'm similar to you and Russ. If it's good, I'm going to listen and see if I can learn something. I'm burned out on tunes with just 25 chords. Ha ha.

I heard a tenor man in New Orleans soloing for 1000 choruses or more one night. I didn't think the sax had that many notes. It sounded like he didn't play the same note twice. He was known as "The Skull." He shaved his head before Kojak.

My trombone buddy who had 9 years experience on me ask me what "The Skull" was playing. I found out when he returned to the melody after the piano player and bass player played 1000 choruses too. It was "When The Saints Go Marching In." Ha ha!

Chas if I didn't explain it the way I should have, ask again in an email. I think I'm boring everyone here to death. Lol!

#346522 - 07/07/12 07:54 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hearing - or reading - someone speak about his/her passion is never boring, except, PERHAPS, if one has absolutely NO interest in the subject ... but WE are all interested in music, no?, and therefore hearing about artists of all genres should be interesting ...
I would like to apologize for omitting MY favorite tenor player - Stan Getz - who I listened to a great deal during his bossa nova days with Jobim and Astrud Gilberto ...

Many years ago, while listening to Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" when it first came out, the sax player in our band said "that sounds like Phil Woods playing the alto solo" ... Sure enough, it was ...
I consider myself to be very fortunate to have heard these and other great Jazz artists live ... I know I have not heard nearly as many as some of you, but I've heard a few ... smile

#346523 - 07/07/12 08:12 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Love David Sanborn, especially his work with keyboardist Bob James.

Some fine playing by both.

Ian

#346524 - 07/07/12 08:26 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Seems weird but when I'm not on stage I rarely ever listen to music....when I'm off work......I'm off work.....even in my car no radio......but that's just me.........don't want to get musical burnout.

#346532 - 07/07/12 09:02 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny when your in the car just whistle a happy tune..

There She blows mi old Shipmate!!! drink

#346534 - 07/07/12 09:41 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

When I'm drivingng in my car I'm thinking.....quiet and calm.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online