SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346378 - 07/03/12 04:40 PM I'll try one more time
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You might find a few tunes this soulful maybe, and that's a big maybe! When this guy finished this tune, he must have lost 10 pounds of guts that were found in his mouthpiece and at the bottom of his axe, after they rushed him to the hospital!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVATVc0odJY

#346379 - 07/03/12 05:08 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Just had to do this too. I was playing this tune on the street. This three hundred pound "Brother" came right up to the keyboard smiling and looking around at the crowd. When I finished he was stunned. Turns out he plays Bass with a few groups around town. He said his dad used to sing this tuned around the house when he was a kid.

Man, if this kind of stuff would happen more often my conscious would bother me for taking pay. I'd just do it for the smiles. I never forget this night a year or three ago CHECH IT OUT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yBPp14BFI

#346384 - 07/03/12 07:27 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
David Sanborn is a very emotional player ...
"Give Me The Simple Life" ... as long as it has a nice band with a string section ... wink
Good choices, boo ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/03/12 07:27 PM)

#346462 - 07/05/12 03:49 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, man, that's "unfiltered" Sanborn.
Nuff said!

R.

#346465 - 07/05/12 05:14 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Emilio "Mimi" Castillo. Is one of my favorites on sax TOP.

Edited by Dnj (07/05/12 07:36 PM)

#346471 - 07/05/12 06:09 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Smokin!! Carlos Santana and former member Chester Thompson sitting in. BTW I don't believe that was Emilio doing the sax solo but who cares--Great Stuff!!

#346473 - 07/05/12 09:29 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Donny,

All over the WEB you can hear lots of Saxophonist play like that. They are "Rockers," "Jazz Fusion," players.

It's hard to find someone that sounds like Dexter, Rollins, Coltrane, Sanborn and a few others. These guys were one of a kind. Everyone who wants to play like them can't.

Everyone who wants to play like the rockers can. There's a lot of the same notes played with different articulation, honking, tricks etc. It's easier to copy. No insult meant.

The Jazzers are a different ballgame. The licks are much more complicated and very difficult to sing back than the honking of the same note played over and over. Kind of like comparing Santos, and the guitar note benders with a Howard Roberts style guitar player.

Everyone enjoys the honkers. I do too. 95% to 99% of America likes country music the best. That's why Country singers sell more recordings than the Rockers, Jazzers and so, so musicians all put together. Ha ha! There's no doubt about that.

I guess in essence as I've said before a bunch of times, many Sax players can honk. Some of the honkers would like to play like the Jazzers but can't.

Even if some of us could live to 1000 years old, we couldn't do what the real Jazzers do. We just have to face it, some people are just geniuses at their craft. Einstein was a genius in his field, but he could not play Jazz Saxophone that I've ever heard of. Ha, ha! I'm getting closer to being a genius every day at Suduko. Another 100 years and I might make it.

#346488 - 07/06/12 08:58 AM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
TOP!!!!! It just FEELS GOOD listening to them. Horn player COOKED, whoever he is.

Carlos, sadly, was way out of his league....embarrassing!

Russ

BTW, take a good look at the keyboard. Looks like a B-2 and something else in a more portable case.....COOL!

Edited by captain Russ (07/06/12 09:00 AM)

#346497 - 07/06/12 01:22 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Up front I'll say I don't know a darn about sax playing techniques, but I do know what I like. So, for what it's worth, here's who I was brought up on. First, via Jimmy Smith albums, Stanley Turrentine and Lou Donaldson. A drummer friend of mine met him on a Jazz Cruise he was doing a few years ago. He said Donaldson still had the chops and he must have been in his eighties then. Secondly, I always liked the sound of Ben Webster - such distinctive sound and tone.

I also, way back in the mists of time, had an album of a guy called Curtis Amy with another guy whose name now escapes me, but I always enjoyed that album.

#346500 - 07/06/12 03:52 PM Re: I'll try one more time [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, as I relax here on my back deck sipping a T 'n' T, I thought I would add MY two favorite sax players: Paul Desmond -the sweetest sounds to EVER come out of an alto sax-, and Gerry Mulligan - the BEST bari ever -
One of the best quotes from Paul Desmond: "I want to sound like a dry Martini" bow

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online