SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#346309 - 07/02/12 08:13 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great topic, and great ideas. I try to go in person nursing home to talk to the AD. I then make an offer they can't refuse: a show free of charge and if they like it, they can book for shows in a future at my normal rate. Every place that has taken my offer has always hiring me later and many of AD's insist on paying me.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#346310 - 07/02/12 08:19 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Also when I go in person sometimes the AD will ask if I'll play something on their acoustic piano. Rather than trying to explain the whole piano vs. arranger keyboard thing, I just play and sing a few songs for them. What I'm trying to say is, it's good idea to have a few things that you can play on a piano.

#346311 - 07/02/12 08:41 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I agree with Don Mason here completely. The corporations are required to provide an entertainment budget for the places and expect to pay for events of all kinds. Those folks who think they are doing a good deed by playing free are not really doing what they think. And often they are rank amateurs who couldn't get a real paying job.

Don is also right about the time involved. Lets see, one hour of playing - oh yea, you got to drive to and from the site - for me that is at least an hour each way pending on traffic and often runs 90 minutes on the return drive at traffic time. So, that one hour gig is really a 4-5 hour adventure for the day. Don't forget setup and breakdown time.

We had an Ad here that wanted performers to "audition" for her before she would book them. A real scam - that is all she ever did - free entertainers for as long as there was someone stupid enough to fall into the trap. Most of these AD types don't last long around here though.

Anyway, now most of my gigs are folks who call me and I don't really have to make many calls until an AD leaves - then it is like starting all over at that place. I have never made personal visits because the ADs are seldom available - nor have I sent CDs or other materials. Once I sent a CD and could never get booked and later found out they were playing CDs sent by entertainers rather than book them.

Deane

Edited by hammer (07/02/12 08:42 AM)

#346312 - 07/02/12 09:08 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer
I agree with Don Mason here completely. The corporations are required to provide an entertainment budget for the places and expect to pay for events of all kinds. Those folks who think they are doing a good deed by playing free are not really doing what they think. And often they are rank amateurs who couldn't get a real paying job.

It certainly depends on where you live...laws are different from province to province in Canada, as well as varying from state to state in USA...also a big difference in privately run and government controlled homes.

The people in my area that perform for charity are all well known professionals...it's basically a "gentleman's agreement" that no one charges, and it is only for certain homes and under certain conditions. On some occasions there will be several acts performing, much like a mini-concert.

One thing for certain, I got lots of non NH work because of the exposure, as have many others...an hour freebie once in a while is simply considered good business and healthy community public relations.

In any case, no one is taking from anyone else.

Ian

#346313 - 07/02/12 09:27 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
We had an Ad here that wanted performers to "audition" for her before she would book them. A real scam - that is all she ever did - free entertainers for as long as there was someone stupid enough to fall into the trap. Most of these AD types don't last long around here though.

Anyway, now most of my gigs are folks who call me and I don't really have to make many calls until an AD leaves - then it is like starting all over at that place. I have never made personal visits because the ADs are seldom available - nor have I sent CDs or other materials. Once I sent a CD and could never get booked and later found out they were playing CDs sent by entertainers rather than book them.

Deane

I should have said that's it's best to call first to make an appointment with the AD so you don't interupt any activity or meetings they may have.

I'm sure there are some unscrupulous AD that would take advantage of a free audition. It doesn't concern me much because I have have a good full time (non music) job... Playing local entertainers CD's rather than booking live music or at least buying CD is pretty low. There lots of really good and inexpensive used CD's available. Anyways Hammer is right about when an AD lives it's just like starting over.

#346314 - 07/02/12 10:44 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

The people in my area that perform for charity are all well known professionals...it's basically a "gentleman's agreement" that no one charges, and it is only for certain homes and under certain conditions. On some occasions there will be several acts performing, much like a mini-concert.
Ian, I agree. smile
We've got a wonderful charitable music organization here in San Francisco (founded by the late Mimi Farina):Bread & Roses - Hope and Healing Through Live Music
Volunteer Performers uplift the spirits of children undergoing chemotherapy, teens battling substance abuse, families in homeless shelters, seniors nearing the end of life transition,
prisons, mental health institutions, and others living apart from friends and family while facing challenging times.

Volunteers have included Neil Young, Boz Skags, Carlos Santana, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Tom Waits, and many other musicians (both working pros and pro level amateurs).
Several years ago I performed at one of their charitable events found it an especially rewarding way to give back to the community. cool

#346315 - 07/02/12 10:54 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

I love the work they do but when I little children it cuts me up I can't stand it, I did the Rotary Farther Christmas Sleigh at a school for children with learning difficulties, I started to take the gifts in saw the kids and ran out crying, hell why do we complain about anything..

Tony

#346316 - 07/02/12 11:14 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Volunteer Performers uplift the spirits of children undergoing chemotherapy, teens battling substance abuse, families in homeless shelters, seniors nearing the end of life transition,
prisons, mental health institutions, and others living apart from friends and family while facing challenging times.

Volunteers have included Neil Young, Boz Skags, Carlos Santana, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Tom Waits, and many other musicians (both working pros and pro level amateurs).
Several years ago I performed at one of their charitable events found it an especially rewarding way to give back to the community. cool

Wow! Some big names in that bunch, Scott.

I played at a children's hospital in St. John's Newfoundland called the Janeway, quite a few years ago, and was surrounded by kids from 5 to about 12, all dealing with cancer. I was using a Roland E-70 at the time and we had a ball...even played the "sound effects" which were a real novelty at the time. The kids were totally fascinated, and I was totally humbled.

Here I was, a healthy man, in my 40's, with the ability to play, and there were kids there with less than a few months to live...their attitudes were certainly inspiring and after the gig, I took the gear out, put it in the Jeep, and then sat behind the wheel for over 15 minutes, crying like a baby.

It was the most rewarding thing I ever did in my career as a musician.

An unexpected by-product of the gig was several very lucrative dinner gigs as the owner of one of the premier restaurants in St.John's was the Dad of one of the children, and those gigs led to more well paying jobs...all because of a little bit of my free time spent with kids in dire situations.

The old saying "sometimes you have to give it away to keep it" is one I have always believed in very strongly.

That's not to say that those who do charge are in the wrong, or are exploiting the ill and elderly...on the contrary...it takes a special kind of person to be able to handle NH gigs, and the places with budgets for entertainment should pay the performers well for their time.

And, most importantly, those who do charity work should be very careful not to take work away from those who make their living with music.

It has been my experience there is room for both.

Ian

#346318 - 07/02/12 12:34 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, you old SOFTEE! I know and appreciate where you're coming from.

I don't play nursing homes for reasons I have discussed before, but I do donate the proceeds from one job a week to a group I'm in which lobbies for much needed improvements in the "for profit" nursing home industry.

This way, I donate three or more times the amount I could get paid for the nursing home gig, and I get a platform upon which to tell the story of the good our group does.

As far as other jobs, I do four things:

1. My specialty is upscale restaurants and country clubs.
I frequent these places as a customer or member and make sure management knows I'm there. I never approach them, but, generally, I get a brief visit; often followed by an offer for work.

2. I NEVER ask for pay at the end of the Saturday job. The place is busy, and if I can't trust them enough to bill them, I don't want to be there anyway.

3. I always consider myself another employee. I've helped haul trash during busy times; seated people, been the unofficial bouncer (that's a permanent job, actually, in several of my gigs), bussed tables, helped people to their vehicles; even driven several regulars who had too much to drink home in my vehicle.For regular gigs, I even attend employee meetings. And, i play for holiday staff parties, participate in gift exchanges, etc.

4. I ALWAYS tip the bartender or floor supervisor $5.00 at the beginning of the evening. I ask for their assistance in checking volume or in helping keep me informed of anything special. That way, I'm telling them that I want to work the room properly and welcome their input.

Works for me...56 years and counting!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/02/12 12:36 PM)

#346319 - 07/02/12 12:43 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian....I agree with you...100 percent..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online