SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#346268 - 07/01/12 11:26 AM what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ?
Dnj Offline

what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or anywhere else for that matter.......?
Certain tactics work better then others and gigs are always changing regarding AD's or managers etc...sharing how we do it and what works and what doesn't would be good discussion and would help each other to achieve success out there.

So who wants to start off?

#346269 - 07/01/12 11:43 AM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Gary's your man on this one, I think he plays more giggs in NHS than anyone on SZ 400 a year last count. I think one tatic would be to reduce your cost of the gigg so low they can't refuse, at bit like the GODFATHER make them an offer they can'ta refuse??? Capish! Anyway charity begins at home...old folks home rotf2 I couldn't bear to take a penny off them, I will be there one day.

Tony

#346270 - 07/01/12 12:09 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

If you had any business accolade you would find out what old folks home do for music that don't have arranger players dropping in and concentrate on that, then you don't need to get out of bed, perhaps they use a MP3 player, fraction of the cost of an arranger player and less likely to get grumpy. In the old days it would be a Dansette record player with 78 or 45 stacked 10 deep. My old Aunty is in a private nursing home £30,000 a year and she would certainly not know the difference between an arranger player and a record player and 90% of them in there are the same.

Your old ship mate, no charge for the business advice this time
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346271 - 07/01/12 12:14 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Tony let's just say years ago I helped Gary on his way to being the King of the MD seniors .....as far as your reply that doesn't help anyone I hope to hear from musicians who actually gig for a living as if I'm not mistaken you do not in a previous post.

#346272 - 07/01/12 12:18 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

No Donny you are right, I would do it for free, it's a UK thing, but if you are looking for giggs and a way in maybe Gary can help you back now. Just a thought!!!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346274 - 07/01/12 12:34 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Tony I am not looking for gigs I wanted to discuss the topic so that other people might get ideas.....with your replies I'm beginning to think I should not even started this thread...

#346275 - 07/01/12 12:38 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Tony I am not looking for gigs I wanted to discuss the topic so that other people might get ideas.....with your replies I'm beginning to think I should not even started this thread...

Donny it just sounded like you were looking for tips to get giggs, don't think anyone one else sounds like they are out of work over there... too far for me to come to work for nothing.. Anyway Donny Italy are playing Spain in the World Cup tonight who do you think will win, both countries are broke...hand outs from Germany, the World has turned a bit.,

#346278 - 07/01/12 01:12 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
No Donny you are right, I would do it for free, it's a UK thing, but if you are looking for giggs and a way in maybe Gary can help you back now. Just a thought!!!

Not exclusively a UK thing, Tony...many well known performers in my area perform at NH...they usually take turns donating/volunteering their time to those who aren't able to get out and enjoy live music.

In fact, although I'm hardly what I would call a "well known" performer, I have done a few gigs myself, and although my music is purely instrumental, I was well received and I certainly got a good feeling from being able to share my music with an appreciative audience.

And, you are correct...Gary is the guy to talk to about these type of gigs...he's a veteran.

Ian

#346279 - 07/01/12 02:12 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In most states in the U.S., nursing homes are required by law to provide entertainment. They have a budget for this, and the residents are charged enough that there is money available.
When you provide your services for free in these instances, you are only helping the owners of the nursing home, not the residents, as intended.
Also, this hurts those who work the NH circuits. You know, the ones that have the talent, equipment, experience and commitment to do a really good job. The fee charged in many cases barely pays enough to make it profitable anyway.
Let's say you do an hour show at a nursing home for $100. That sounds pretty good, right? Only you have to drive there, unload, set up, perform, load back up, drive back home (don't forget to buy gasoline). That can take from one to several hours. Then you deduct a portion for other expenses, such as insurance, replacing worn or damaged gear, tires for the car, cleaning or laundry, etc. Then you pay income tax on that hundred bucks. Not sure what is left, but you'd BETTER do a bunch of them if you want to make a living!
In fact, it might well be better economically to do 'em for free and deduct your usual rate (not the cut rate) from taxes as a charitable donation, providing you have other income from which to take the deductions. EXCEPT, nursing homes are not charities, they are for-profit businesses. CHARGE 'EM MORE, and don't do them free.
If you want to do free stuff, got to hospitals, veteran's homes, charity fund-raisers and similar venues. There are lots of those around that do not have budgets or even plans for entertaining the patients.
Please excuse the rant, and remember that the circumstances I described may not apply in your location. But they do in mine.
DonM

#346281 - 07/01/12 02:38 PM Re: what is your BEST Strategies to get gigs NHs or ? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM

In fact, it might well be better economically to do 'em for free and deduct your usual rate (not the cut rate) from taxes as a charitable donation, providing you have other income from which to take the deductions.

That's how it is done here. I've never charged for any NH gigs (and neither have any other local players), but as you say, it will depend on where you live and if there is an entertainment budget provided.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online