SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#346441 - 07/05/12 09:04 AM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi Bill - I'm at the Trap every Monday and Tuesday all summer.(6-10) I think Fran goes in, in September.His band will work Wed-Fri-Sat 8-12
See you there!

#346442 - 07/05/12 09:37 AM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Funny how things happen. Being new down here in Cape May NJ I'm still working on making contacts. I had nothing for the 4th but my wife had to work that night in a little shop on the Mall. She felt bad about working oon the holiday so I took her to lunch at a place the just opened. Two Mile Inn in Wildwood Crest. As usual I got into a conversation with the bartender and then the manager and he said he was stuck for entertainment that day!!! Had lunch , went home, loaded up and came back to do 5-8 on the deck. I'll be there again next Thursday. Working outside with a keyboard setup is making me jealous of these acoustic guitar guys with one little amp.

Fran and Dave please post your schedules at the Trap, I'll be there to see you in action

Obviously you did a great job that they hired you back ... clap
I'm gigging tonight outdoors at an upscale Italian restaurant I posted about last week ... only problem is at a certain time for a few minutes during sunset the sun is DIRECTLY in my eyes cool ... that's break time grin

#346449 - 07/05/12 10:43 AM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the major problems I've encountered with the vast majority of outdoor jobs is sunlight. Most of the jobs are late afternoon and on into the evening, and in many instances the sun is shining right in your face. I made a special hood to cover the keyboard display so I can see what I'm doing, but the LED lights above the various buttons become invisible in direct sunlight.

The other problem is heat. Today, the temperature is 101, thus working outdoors is brutal. I have two fans blowing on my at all times, and a half-dozen bottles of water in a cooler chest next to the keyboard - they're essential tools this time of year.

Fortunately, I can pick and choose most of the jobs and rarely do outdoor work these days. I'm just too damned old to subject myself to that much heat and humidity. Tomorrow's job is indoors, and the air conditioner will be running full blast. Weatherman says tomorrow's high temperature could hit 103 with a heat index of 110. The job was originally scheduled for outdoors, but they changed it to indoors because of the oppressive heat.

Another thing that must be considered is the effects of heat on your equipment. Some PA systems have thermal cut-offs, Mackie and Barbetta being two that immediately come to mind. Both now have small, cooling fans inside the cabinets, but when the PA is sitting in direct sunlight and temperatures are in the upper 90s, they can still shut down when you least expect.

Some keyboards also have thermal cut-offs. Those with external power supplies, such as the Yamaha PSR series, can shut down when the power supply temperature exceeds a certain temperature. Today, about 12-noon, when the thermometer soared to 101, I had to put on gloves to open the lock on my boat. That brass lock was too hot to touch without burning yourself. You can only imagine what the temperature must be inside a black keyboard.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#346454 - 07/05/12 01:02 PM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

My new rule last two years is no keyboard playing outside ......I will only Dj these gigs and sing........all kb so.g have been recorded as backing tracks also besides mp3 songs ......they love it and so do I....

#346455 - 07/05/12 01:46 PM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
My new rule last two years is no keyboard playing outside ......I will only Dj these gigs and sing........all kb so.g have been recorded as backing tracks also besides mp3 songs ......they love it and so do I....

Whatever works and as long as the people are happy. I'm getting a real dose of this singing with tracks thing down here. Seems like everyones doing it. Some play a little with them and some just sing. I would feel lost without my keyboard in front of me so I'll stay in the dark ages for now Maybe after some lessons from Fran I'll move up to the present.

#346456 - 07/05/12 01:54 PM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Hi Bill - I'm at the Trap every Monday and Tuesday all summer.(6-10) I think Fran goes in, in September.His band will work Wed-Fri-Sat 8-12
See you there!

Dave
Thanks My wife and I will be there to see you soon. Funny coincidence is I'm rehearsing with a classic rock band a few miles away so I'm up there every Wed. Why are they holding Fran back until Sept., they love his group there??
See you soon

Bill

#346459 - 07/05/12 02:23 PM Re: Where you giggin 4th of July? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill , we are there for Aug and Sept....Wed, Fri and Sat nights...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online