SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#346075 - 06/25/12 10:39 AM Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1oekmUZTM&feature=related

All I can say is ... Wow.
(yes, that's footbass on the organ!)

#346083 - 06/25/12 12:34 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
How does one split their brain to do all that at the same time?!?!?
You said it all UD ... WOW !!!

#346086 - 06/25/12 12:59 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It takes years of practice, however if you want to see pedal work then have a look at some of the Theatre Organ players, it’s quite inspiring to see Hector Olivera play Flight of the Bumble Bee on the Pedals. (Pipe or Electronic)

Another performance I do like though (And there are only a few players that do it) is when they play The Toccata and Fugue in Dm then part way through they continue with the performance on the manuals, but then play the Theme Tune from Star Wars on the pedals at the same time. (It mixes perfectly)

Still one can but dream.

Bill

#346099 - 06/25/12 04:19 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: abacus]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
SURPERB!!!
Dave, Great post friend.

Another thing I noticed early and figured out that I would also enjoy the Guitarist is that his ax doesn't have a cheater-bar and not even the arm attached (which I call a note bender) so you have to be able to play scales etc.

I just don't respect the guy that hits a note and stands there and bends it for 8 bars and everyone marvels that he's the best Guitar player they ever heard.

These guys probably don't make any money either. They're too good. Make that "GREAT!" Makes you wonder how many hours in their life do they have practicing the scales and the hundreds of thousands more like millions of patterns that they can be played in.

I always use the telephone for an example. Think of it. There are only 10 digits. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 yet there are how many billions of different phone numbers. Music has 12 different notes and several octaves. The possibilities are literally endless.

Wow these last days have some of the best post ever.
I rather your old mask face then the one you have posted now Dave. Ha ha!

#346112 - 06/26/12 04:16 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Found a YouTube clip of Hector Olivera playing Tico Tico & Flight of the Bumble Bee for you to enjoy.

The only downside is that it was recorded by an audience member on a Camcorder so sound is not great, but everything is there.

Enjoy

Bill

#346113 - 06/26/12 05:32 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

"All Skate" headphone is all I get when I watch this kind of stuff. But I guess some like it, It's just not my cup of tea. Although he's a very good player I couldn't sit thru more then a few minutes listening. Thank you for posting.

Edited by Dnj (06/26/12 05:38 AM)

#346118 - 06/26/12 07:21 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hector in my opinion is the best. If you do a search you will find he plays jazz and big band as well; no rock. He is playing since he was 5 years old, concerts at a very young age and has built his own organ.

I heard him take a John Lennen (spelling?) song with variations lasting for 15 minutes; he lead us on a trip of emotions with one song.

I sat in a class where he was teaching how to set up the organ for a particular song, I was amazed; he created the drum parts and all the instrument parts to fit the song.

At an organ concert in Orlando, Fl. he played big band song; in the middle he took a drum solo – both hands and both feet – also fantastic, the diner audience of five hundred people gave him an ovation that lasted over ten minutes. The best organist ever. I have been playing keyboards for years because of this type of player.

No offence to anyone, just my opinion, John C.

#346247 - 06/30/12 05:45 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
A story I heard about Barbara D coming into NYC is that she would bring a custom built midi pedalboard in a road case and would stick it under whatever Hammond she was offered for the gig. As most of you know stock Hammond pedals sound terrible and have no sustain thus no walking bass. The pedals got noticed at the customs inspection and they couldn't figure out what they were so they held them up and she had to cancel a concert. She is one of the best ever at pedals. Chester Thomson formerly of Tower of Power and now Santana is another master of kicking bass. Check out "Squib Cakes" by TOP where he takes over doing the bass line during his solo. An old schooler from Newark NJ and now in France is Rhoda Scott who plays pedals in high heels! Sold a B3 to a guy in the Netherlands who saw her play and wanted a rig just like hers. Trek II products in New Brunswick NJ makes lots of Hammond add ons including a killer string bass unit.
I played pedals for years on a customized B3 and loved it. As far as how to do it, you practice jumps of 3rds, 4ths and 5ths, and scales without looking down, tapping the sides of the black pedals (C#, F#) for orientation. It becomes automatic after a while. You need soft shoes to feel where you are. I never did two feet, just for one semester in college when I took classical organ lessons. Still have my Roland PK5's to mess with. Nothing like the control you have and just jamming with a good drummer can be addictive. I miss gigging like that.
Thanks for the clip

Edited by Bill Lewis (06/30/12 06:03 PM)

#346249 - 06/30/12 07:57 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
She is fantastic ... both on pedal bass and on B3 keyboard. But to be playing them both like that simultaneously really is magic. Thanks for posting this Dave.

#346253 - 06/30/12 10:08 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
"All Skate" headphone is all I get when I watch this kind of stuff. But I guess some like it, It's just not my cup of tea. Although he's a very good player I couldn't sit thru more then a few minutes listening. Thank you for posting.

Like you say Donny not for an arranger player like you, who needs pedals anyway with the arranger turned on, I am an old organ player and when I play to a crowd someone always comes up to me after and says, "CRAP" duel and " why are your legs going all over the shop when you are playing, they never stayed still", old organ habits die hard. Like Gary says I need to get out more playing in the old folks home in preparation for my entry level, I just hope I go out like a light rather than hang around SZ smelling.. dance2

BTW me old mucker What's "ALL SKATE"

BTW there are much better examples of pedal playing if you look on youtube, big pipe organs.

#346257 - 06/30/12 11:34 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

UD

You started it, and music right up your street, 4th July, a master of the keys and pedals and Donny this guy don't need any arrangers to help him play.

#346263 - 07/01/12 03:38 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

BTW,

When he is playing all feet he is using the couplers I suppose you could say that cheating, but I wouldn't. He doesn't need styles or mp3 to play, he makes it all himself. He makes me want to pack it, too late for me now. 2.25 when he hits the couplers watch all the stops come out.

#346284 - 07/01/12 05:01 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
UD

OMG - I hate it when audience members try to clap to a performance!!!!!! Sucks the life right out of a performance. So annoying.
Good player though - thanx Tony!

#346331 - 07/02/12 11:17 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
OMG - I hate it when audience members try to clap to a performance!!!!!! Sucks the life right out of a performance. So annoying.
Good player though - thanx Tony!

Often the audience are encouraged to do it. And when the mics that pickup the clapping are on stage it is IMPOSSIBLE for the clapping to be in time with the music. It has nothing to do with poor timing on the part of the audience ... it is all about the speed of sound. The sound from the stage area travels out to the audience who clap to it and then the sound of the clapping then travels back to the microphones ... of course it will be totally out of time with the music that is being picked up on stage. And of course depending how far back they are sitting all the audience are hearing the same beat at different times.

It is because of this in big concert rooms and stadiums the speakers that are further towards the back have digital delay added to the signal so it matches the time it takes for the sound from the main stage speakers to travel to the back of the room. They are called delay stacks and reinforce the sound that travels to the back. Otherwise people near the back would be constantly hearing a weird echo effect.

#346335 - 07/03/12 07:11 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Still my all time favourite, Alan McPike from Scotland, very tasty playing, including his "drumming" with

his left hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvMRnPx-gs&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqAzACFr00E&feature=relmfu

Edited by Mockie (07/03/12 07:14 AM)

#346338 - 07/03/12 07:22 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mockie
Still my all time favourite, Alan McPike from Scotland, very tasty playing, including his "drumming" with

his left hand.

Mine too...Alan is an awesome player, and he makes it look so easy.

Ian

#346368 - 07/03/12 02:31 PM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks UD, that lady is awesome! That's one of the most amazing musical talents I've ever seen. She must have 3 brains. Glad she ain't a blonde, she be beatin' on a cowbell. Out of time.

#346400 - 07/04/12 08:09 AM Re: Check out the FOOTWORK!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online