SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#346074 - 06/25/12 10:30 AM The setup continues to grow and change ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's my deal - I ran into the pa3x so headstrong that it made me a little dizzy at first. Now, I've had it out a few times, put it through it's paces and I'm "almost" in total lust with it. I've said before, it's the sexiest kb I've ever seen - the entire rig fits in the trunk of my mid sized Ford Fusion, and it's as small as possible without compromising any of the "go to" things I rely on.

I'll describe my quirks to you:
1 - I NEED a good solid, vocal harmonizer, and the TC is working out great in spite of a small tweak I'm trying to make to a slight doubling effect I'm hearing. Could very well be just the PA-AS doing it.
2 - I need good, solid manual bass - covered
3 - I need the best EPs and Whurlies available - Covered
4 - 61 keys - small footprint - no wasted space
5 - MP3 / SMF playback internally - this is where it shines.
6 - Styles - alive and stunning - a Korg tradition
7 - for larger parties and wider age brackets, I need my ipad to interface somehow for more DJ trax as needed - the new iRig MIX is great for this!

So, here's my newest setup - in detail:
PA3x - PA/AS - iRig MIX - Bose Compact - iPad2 - EV N/d767a
(wireless mic/guitar input in bag)

The cords, adapters and any hookups required are all premeasured, and reside in a computer bag that sits under the k/b inbetween the X of the stand. I set up the stand, put the bag in the "V" section, pull out the wires, sit the 3x on top, snap in the PA/AS, set up a mic and the Bose and I'm ready.

The newest best surprise has been the iRig MIX - it's a three channel DJ style mixer with a twist - it can send a signal from a mic or instrument into the iOS device (iPad) and back into the mixer for EQ and volume change. (Sweet)
WHY do we need this? I'll tell you:

Ch 1 is connected to my wireless mic transmitter. For toasts or speakers, this is all I need. For my guitar work or a legit guest singer, I push ONE little button and the signal goes into the iPAd app for effects first, then is fed back to the mixer. AMAZING

Ch 2 is the output of the 3x

they are sent out of the main outs to the Bose, or whatever else I choose to use that day.

Very, very cool. I did 2 weddings this weekend, now 4 days at the shore, so by next week, I'll know every little thing there is to know about this rig. (fingers crossed)
I tried to attach 2 videos, but they would not load in. I'll tray again sometime after I read up on the formats used here.

Attachments
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

#346101 - 06/25/12 04:25 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Oh man look at all of those sliders. Dave I'm still in the 1800's. Is that a touch screen too?

#346103 - 06/25/12 06:48 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
124 Offline

Hey, Boo. You're a longtime i30 man, you'd be a shoo-in for a 3X.

#346114 - 06/26/12 05:45 AM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Good luck with your new rig Dave....I'm surprised you haven't sold the PAAS as of yet.. cool2

You also carrying a Bose PA system too?

#346155 - 06/26/12 10:48 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Great news - the vocal doubling effect was in the preset I was using as my default. It's not listed as a double, but it's in here. I changed the preset and now it's normal!!! Yay
The little mixer works SO well - I had 2 weddings and 2 club dates this weekend, so, to quote professor Henry Higgins ... " it's second nature to me now - like breathing out and breathing in" (My Fair Lady)
Unless its a cocktail or dinner job - I use the Bose with the paas. 2 trips to car, ten minute setup - light and beautiful.

#346169 - 06/27/12 08:28 AM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Thats a great set-up mate! I was in the music shop today playing on the Pax3 and I cant wait to buy it..All the best.

#346183 - 06/27/12 07:30 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
" it's second nature to me now - like breathing out and breathing in" (My Fair Lady)
[/quote
"I was serenly independent and content before we met, surely I could always be that way and yet..........."

#346184 - 06/27/12 07:46 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Ok - I'm at a fork in the road. (Yogi Berra would say "take it") ...
I love the"in my face" monitor of the paas, but I miss my slimmer, tighter mic/kb stand combo that I cannot use with the sound bar. It's a trade off either way --- the paas extends the "arse" end of my k/b by about 6 inches, and that makes the stand mounted mic boom unusable. I'll try one more w/e with the old stand and see if I miss the paas too much. I'm facing the Bose at me from the corner of the kb with only 1 height extender and the crowd will get the bounced sound - fine for the dinner rooms.
Sigh ... And I thought I was all set for the summer.
Don mason ... Start saving your greens fees - this paas would fit on your USS stand just beautifully.
smile
( x-stands ... Not so much )

#346188 - 06/27/12 11:16 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I tried to attach 2 videos, but they would not load in. I'll try again sometime after I read up on the formats used here.

When it comes to videos it is much better to upload them to youtube and then just embed the youtube video link here using the media tag icon.

#346189 - 06/27/12 11:59 PM Re: The setup continues to grow and change ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hey Dave, great rig you have there.
I recently purchased the PA 3X 61key (Had a Tyros 4 - returned it and went with PA3X).

I agree - the sexiest looking keyboard ive seen. the materials used and overall finish is superb!!
How about the keybed feel?? so happy with it!

I do however have 1 drawback which i find annoying. The OTS Buttons are too close to the screen.
I often tap them by mistake while trying to navigate through the touch screen which causes issues.

Good Luck with everything

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online