SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#346107 - 06/25/12 09:16 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Tony, Chas is spot on naming the ones here who would support this kind of thing enthusiastically. The brotherhood of people who are "living and breathing" this kind of music is unbelievably strong. It takes so much dedication to just appreciate it, never mind learn to play it.

Russ

Hell Russ,

It sounds like a bag of drugs your all on, why can't we all share, never mind at least Tony Mads posted the Italian group so the thread was well worth it, IL VOLO made up for not having Chas's demo, they are great never heard them before, they are my kind of drugs. Looks like Italy may also win the World Cup, pity they are broke.

Cheers Russ

Tony

#346108 - 06/25/12 10:57 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Relating this thread back to the "topic" of this forum:
Here's an "arranger keyboard" jam session that cooks too ! clap
and It's the Real thing too . . .
Robert Messier keys and Sandro Fontanella keys

#346111 - 06/26/12 03:36 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Here's an "arranger keyboard" jam session that cooks too ! clap
and It's the Real thing too . . .

With all due respect, Scott, I think you're comparing apples and oranges and in any case, I didn't post this so people would scour the internet looking for a comparable arranger performance. I just posted it because I enjoyed it and thought some of our resident organ players and hammond enthusiasts would too. No 'pissing contest' intended.

If I'm being honest (not disrespectful, just honest), I wouldn't walk across the street to listen to something like you just posted. If that's your idea of 'jamming' or 'the REAL thing', then that's fine, different strokes for different folks. Frankly, I don't think too many jazz organist are going to share your enthusiam for that performance nor do I think it would go over very well in any jazz clubs that I know of.

Hey, nothing wrong with the T4 or any other arranger keyboard; I've heard some great (or at least very good) performances done on arrangers (not too many in 'style' mode, though), but holding up a T4 simulated jazz organ played by non-jazz players to a REAL Hammond played by a smokin' hot, balls-to-the-wall jazz-funk player, is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. BTW, don't try to feature a 'Hammond' sound (especially jazz or gospel) on ANY kind of keyboard without an expression pedal hooked up to it.

Also, when I said REAL, I meant the player (playing ALL the notes) and the instrument (playing ONLY the notes played by the player). But again, this was a post about a player and performance that I thought was exceptional and decided to share it, not about the superiority of one keyboard over another; that will always be subjective. If you're a lousy player, both are going to sound like crap. If you're a great player, then the choice of keyboard starts to take on more of a role. A keyboard sounds best when it's doing what it does best; a synth or workstation sounds best in the studio, a piano sounds best in a concert hall, a Hammond/Leslie sounds best in a Black Gospel Church, a Jazz club, or a Rock concert, an arranger sounds best in a uh, uh, wait, I'm thinking, oh yeah, a Nursing Home. Just kidding..........sort of.

Scott, for the record, I'm not a big fan of Barbara Dennerlin's either. She is probably THE most technically gifted JAZZ organist out there, but the soul just ain't there. After three minutes of being amazed at her footwork, I'm ready to leave; but that's just my opinion. Man oh man, wish I had her skill and my soul, I'd be cooking, baby.

chas

#346117 - 06/26/12 06:36 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas.....that was very enjoyable the "FUNK" keeps me interested would of loved to see a small horn section eg: TOP to just put this over the top, but the energy, groove, and musicianship shines thru in this performance giving the audience and listener a real treat.

In a perfect world today & if I didn't have to be in the trenches as a OMB to make a living so missing my 7pc band days I would definitely be doing something like this on Hammond/ KB's with my own twist. thanks for sharing ....Good Stuff !! clap

#346208 - 06/29/12 12:46 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: 124]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Chas, If you ever do record some of your stuff, do feel free to PM me a clip. I'd love to listen to it.

Hey me too. But I would be so very happy to have you post it publicly on the forum. I think you would be surprised how many here would appreciate it. It is such a pleasure to listen to jazz.

#346217 - 06/29/12 09:18 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: Scottyee]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Here's an "arranger keyboard" jam session that cooks too ! clap and It's the Real thing too . . .
Robert Messier keys and Sandro Fontanella keys

Scott,

Thanks for posting this video. I saw it about a year ago and was real impressed with both the playing and the Audya. I lost track of it, but recorded it this time around. Those guitars are incredible in that Audya, not to mention the sax and the harmonica. Thanks again for resurrecting the demo.

Mark

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online