SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346062 - 06/25/12 04:37 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Tony, I've got lots of Video gear, mostly prosumer quality, my latest being the JVC GY-HMZ1U 3D video camera. Waiting for a Stereo Base Extender for it to expand/enhance the 3D effect. It's kind of a hassle (and a little risky) to try to get good footage in the club (I'd have to get someone else to do it) so maybe I'll just do a rehearsal. I'm sure you'll understand why I'm somewhat reluctant to post MY image on THIS board. I'll have to think about it. If it were just you, Russ, Takei, 124, Boo, Nigel, Diki, SqueakD, and Spalding, I'd be fine with it.....anyhow, I'd be happy to send you a clip in PM. In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't one of the more popular musical forms here and I, for sure, am not one of it's more popular ambassadors (partly my fault, I'm sure, I haven't always been a model citizen smile ). Anyhow, glad you liked it. BTW, did you notice; this was a great jazz audience as well. They knew they were getting something good and it was obvious that they came to listen and enjoy. I'll PM you as soon as I get off my lazy duff.

chas

#346068 - 06/25/12 07:41 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... thank you ...
Yes, it is always great to see an audience APPRECIATING good jazz ...
I've said it before, but I was brought up in a household that listened to ALL genres of music, but really started listening to jazz at about the age of 16 ... I saw Maynard Ferguson, Ahmad Jamal, and a bunch of others at a jazz fest in Madison Square Garden back in the day and that certainly piqued my interest ... I really regret not making the time to study it more ...

A bit OT, but still on the jazz theme ... the sax player in the band we had in NY (Frank Ascone) was ALWAYS into jazz ... well, at least from the age of about 10 ... he never liked 50's RnR even though we grew up right in the midst of it and played it for years grin
Frank spends some time in Sarasota during the year and always finds jazz jams to play at ... He is the sax player in the photo ...
http://kenfrancklingjazznotes.blogspot.com/2012/05/wonderful-tradition-22-years-and.html

Just thought you might find it interesting ...

Speaking of listening to all genres of music, we are in the process of purchasing tickets to see IL VOLO in Boston in September ... QUITE a change of pace ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (06/25/12 08:01 AM)

#346071 - 06/25/12 09:33 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I'm sure you'll understand why I'm somewhat reluctant to post MY image on THIS board. I'll have to think about it. If it were just you, Russ, Takei, 124, Boo, Nigel, Diki, SqueakD, and Spalding, I'd be fine with it.....anyhow, I'd be happy to send you a clip in PM.
chas

Chas,

I am a bit surprised at the list on names above, if you posted work on SZ and it was bad, there is not one member that would say so, silence might well speak volumes and you will never know, people on SZ are rather reserved when it comes to using the word "Crap", take may word for it I am right. It is nice to see peoples work, whatever it is, good or indifferent.

And how do you know that Russ, Takei, 124, Boo, Nigel, Diki, SqueakD, and Spalding, would be all positive, just a thought.

Good luck with it Chas
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346079 - 06/25/12 11:24 AM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Sorry Tony, you missed the gist of what I was saying (old folks get confused easily smile smile ). I'm not concerned about negative OR positive critiques of my musical posts, in fact, I've posted lots of stuff here and had very positive feedback (you were probably napping at the time smile ). In fact, I hold the current SZ record of being the ONLY musical poster in the history of SZ to get a positive (or any other kind of) critique from Rory, arguably the best pure musician on SZ. I'm kind of proud of that. The thing is, some people judge you by more than just your performance. The people I named are just people that I think would just view the performance as a performance and comment on it accordingly, good or bad, and that their comments wouldn't be tainted by what they thought of me on a personal basis. I base this on how they generally represent themselves on this board. Of course, a couple (like Russ) I have met in person and think of them more as personal friends. Hope this clears it up for you......Tony, Tony....are you awake?

chas

#346084 - 06/25/12 12:56 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
Tony Hughes Offline

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hrr zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz rotf2

Got you Chas, Wilo, Roger, over and out Captain
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346096 - 06/25/12 03:22 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just got back from a trip overseas; turned on the computer and have been sitting her with the happiest/saddest things going on in my head.

HAPPY, because, for me, this is what I LIVE to play.

SAD, because, in most parts of the country, while you can find a little work playing this classic B-3 style, it's really hard to make a living doing it.

My trio (me on B-3, my grandson on drums and my son on bass) is lucky enough to have a "small but mighty" following of hard core B-3 folks. We're getting pretty tight, but what we make wouldn't cover the interest on the money I just made overseas last week.

Then, there's the issue of maintenance and transportation of the B-3 and Leslie. Luckily, mine "lives" at the club where it's used. The repair man "lives" on the repair/maintenance checks I send regularly.

Obviously, these folks are fantastic. Look at the joy on this guy's face. He's way better than the top recognized guys in this country.

Chas and Boo, we're sharing something here that most others won't understand.

Until you've "been there" you'll never know...

Just WONDERFUL!

Russ

And, Chas, it would be such an honor to play in ANY group that included you. Thanks so much for the nice things you have to say. BTW, you were mostly responsible for me getting back to guitar. You mentioned several places that you liked "What are You Doing The Rest of Your Life".

I was in such pain that I had all but given up the instrument. One day, I picked up the guitar and tried to play your tune. I SUCKED at it, but decided to get a version of it done that you would not laugh at.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (06/25/12 03:43 PM)

#346097 - 06/25/12 03:31 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This is just straight up great music . Thanks for posting this Chas . Its great to have you posting gain on the forum period.

#346098 - 06/25/12 03:52 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: spalding1968]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, Chas is spot on naming the ones here who would support this kind of thing enthusiastically. The brotherhood of people who are "living and breathing" this kind of music is unbelievably strong. It takes so much dedication to just appreciate it, never mind learn to play it.

This is a musical treasure, and is one of the things that makes my musical life so fulfilling.

It is also the thing that makes it impossible for me to play some other kinds of music and venues.

The money is NOT good, the venues are few and far between....and I can't imagine a career in music without this kind of material and this classic, wonderful, challenging style.

Thanks again, Chas,

Russ

#346104 - 06/25/12 07:53 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Russ, wondered where you were. Did you catch those great 'Black Church' organ riffs at the end of the second tune. That boy's got soul, no doubt about it. Nothing like a Hammond to give you that big finish. Tony Monaco does this as well as anyone. BTW, I'm still waiting for my Leslie 3300. The Pro 145 just isn't cutting it; not enough bass without a sub. Wish I could get away with just putting a better speaker in it; I love the size. Anyhoo, drop me an email or PM re your latest gig/trip. Sounds exciting.

chas

#346105 - 06/25/12 08:06 PM Re: Ain't nothing like the REAL thing, baby...... [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Chas, many thanks for putting up that You Tube clip. I hadn't heard of this fella before, but he's on the radar now. I also have to say that I'm honoured to be included in such illustrious company as those you mentioned. I'm not so honoured to have to admit that I never followed my heart in pursuing this music in my younger years. Funny how life gets in the way of many things.

If you ever do record some of your stuff, do feel free to PM me a clip. I'd love to listen to it.

Best regards.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online