SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#344803 - 05/15/12 10:17 PM Re: Caution storing music on shared web sites! [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I've known that if one is performing in a 'public' venue, SOMEONE has to be paying royalties and it is usually the venue that pays to either BMI or ASCAP ... I know of at least one case where a musician was playing in a coffee house for tips and either BMI or ASCAP told the owner that a fee had to be paid or performers could only perform 'original' music ...

I've just never thought of the need to pay royalties if I post something on line for others to hear ...

I am a member of APRA in Australia. And even when an artist/band plays original music that doesn't save the venue from paying fees. I played in an all original band The Name for a few years and we got paid each year from fees collected by APRA even though our material hadn't been released by a record label. We would report the original songs we had played in venues over the year and the money came out of the fees they had paid. If they hadn't paid any fees then that would become a problem for them.

#344826 - 05/16/12 10:07 AM Re: Caution storing music on shared web sites! [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I've known that if one is performing in a 'public' venue, SOMEONE has to be paying royalties and it is usually the venue that pays to either BMI or ASCAP ... I know of at least one case where a musician was playing in a coffee house for tips and either BMI or ASCAP told the owner that a fee had to be paid or performers could only perform 'original' music ...

I've just never thought of the need to pay royalties if I post something on line for others to hear ...

I am a member of APRA in Australia. And even when an artist/band plays original music that doesn't save the venue from paying fees. I played in an all original band The Name for a few years and we got paid each year from fees collected by APRA even though our material hadn't been released by a record label. We would report the original songs we had played in venues over the year and the money came out of the fees they had paid. If they hadn't paid any fees then that would become a problem for them.

Nigel ... If I understand correctly, you played your original material during a gig and got 'royalties' for doing it?
nice ...

#344828 - 05/16/12 11:33 AM Re: Caution storing music on shared web sites! [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

Ah Tony you remember my experience at Java Madness! Eventually a new owner worked something out with ASCAP. I'm not sure what it was, I only played there once after the ASCAP incident. By the way Erika Van Pelt a recent American Idol contestant who made it to the top 10 got her start at Java Madness.

Wiki Erika Van Pelt

#344829 - 05/16/12 11:58 AM Re: Caution storing music on shared web sites! [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Ah Tony you remember my experience at Java Madness! Eventually a new owner worked something out with ASCAP. I'm not sure what it was, I only played there once after the ASCAP incident. By the way Erika Van Pelt a recent American Idol contestant who made it to the top 10 got her start at Java Madness.

Wiki Erika Van Pelt

Yes Steve, but I refrained from naming names to protect the GUILTY !!! rotfl

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online