SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#344722 - 05/14/12 03:11 AM KN7000 Problems
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I bought my KN7000 in 2002 and for seven years played it on an average of eight hours a day. Now that's a lot of hours on a machine.

It never gave me a problem, although some buttons show wear.

It is once again my main board and wonder what to expect down the road.

What problems, if any, have any of you had.

Thanks
Bernie

#344796 - 05/15/12 04:07 PM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bernie,

What a question....you realise you're asking us to tempt fate don't you? It is my experience if I brag about a product giving perfect service, it'll then decide to go wrong or not to work at all. Anyway, I'll risk it and say that my first KN7000 was purchased on the 5th November 2002. When Technics announced they were no longer trading in musical instruments, I bought a second KN7 as a backup. The first one was used so much, most of the paint on/around the buttons were showing signs of use, so that was the one I traded in for a Tyros 3.

I still have the second KN7 and play it regularly at home and at gigs. It looks as good as new and so far, no problems at all. It has given me excellent service and most of all, it is reliable (unlike the Tyros at times). Despite having the Tyros 3 and now the Tyros 4, both good keyboards, I do not get the pleasure or satisfaction from playing a Tyros that I get when playing the KN7000. I put this down to the very 'User Friendly' operating system the KN7 has, plus the excellent clear voicings and the sharp rhythms - which make you want to dance or at least tap your foot to the music.

Hope this helps a little.

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (05/15/12 04:08 PM)

#344806 - 05/16/12 02:31 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Audrey Turner]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Audrey

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wouldn't get a deluge of replies. That tells me the old girl will probably keep on ticking.

I too have many keyboards and have sold more, but nothing is as easy and fun as the KN7000. I have brought double keyboards and Midi'd laptops and controllers in a quest for the perfect rig, in spite of the work involved.

I brought the KN7000 to a gig the other day, and not only was it a breeze ,with no worries about if it was going to work properly, but a musician came up to me and said " That is the best clarinet and sax I have ever heard on a keyboard".

Some people seem to make it hard on themselves(me). I think I will just take my KN7000 and have fun again.

#344808 - 05/16/12 04:43 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bernie,

I have two KN7000s and since obtaining them, I have never experienced the slightest problem with either. One of them remains at home and the other is the one I use when gigging.

Further to your point about the comment made by another musician re. the Clarinet and Sax sounds, I have had many similar comments about the individual sounds and the overall sound of the KN7000, from members of the audience - some of whom were musicians - both amateur and professional.
Since adding a Bose L1 Compact to my KN7000, I think I now have the ultimate system smile

Like you Bernie, I have also purchased a Korg Microarranger. While I do like some of the sounds and styles offered by the keyboard, I find the Operating System very unfriendly. This is not just due to unfamiliarity with Korg's OS - I have spent many hours trying to get to grips with the OS, but when compared with the Technics OS, it is just plain 'Hard Work'.

#344809 - 05/16/12 05:08 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bill Norrie]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reaffirmation of the KN.

As for as the Korg is conscerned, like you, I find some good sounds and styles, but, the OS: arggghh. If you, being much more technical minded than most of us, feels that way, I am throwing away my dunce cap and coming out of the corner.

Bernie

#344813 - 05/16/12 06:23 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
RC Offline

Loc: Pa Usa
Hello Bernie
I have owned a lot of Technics the last one being the Kn7000. Bought the 7000 when they came out and have not had any problems. As Audrey said the keys and buttons show wear but it is still going. I also purchased a Korg Pa3x. It is a really nice keyboard but as Bill N, said it is very hard to get into it and make it do different things. I would never get rid og the Kn7000. The Kn7000 sequencer with the APC and Control function was way ahead of its time. Roger B.

#344818 - 05/16/12 08:33 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Most of you know of my organ background. I bought a Technics organ about 25 years ago. As I progressed through other organs and keyboards I gave that organ to a son in Colorado. Took the thing apart, shipped it and he put it back together. I was in Colorado a couple of years ago and played the thing. It still plays like it is new.

When I upgraded to the KN7000 I sold my KN5000 to a friend here. Bill Norrie, you played that one when you were here. It still works perfectly. Both my KN7000's work perfectly as well. Have never had a maintenance issue with any Technics keyboard.

As some of you know, I bought a Korg PA3X recently. Just needed a new toy. Also bought a Korg microArranger. After about three weeks the internal clock on the PA3X started losing its time. It now has to be reset every time the keyboard is turned on if you want files to be properly date stamped. There is a RAM backup battery in the PA3X that has been found to have explosive issues and it had to be removed. Mine is removed and I am waiting on the replacement. When I first took delivery of the keyboard, there were sharp edges on most of the keys from the plastic moulding process. I fixed that with a fine fingernail emery board. This is supposed to be the Korg flagship keyboard. What a loss it has been to lose Technics quality. I am so glad I kept the KN7000's.

#344821 - 05/16/12 09:00 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Bernie... Over the years I have owned/played the KN1000, 3000, 5000, 6000. Got my first KN7 when they were first on the market and my second about 3 years ago. The ONLY KN machine I have had a challenge with is the 6000... I do not remember what it was except that the machine is still functioning almost perfectly. I do not play it anymore.

Recently, my "at home" 7K would loose the sound after a few minutes of play. Right here on the Zone the answer was quickly
forthcoming...

I too have received many compliments about the sound of the 7K.
No complaints have ever been made. I use only the speakers in the machine.

Tweaking my sounds frequently is for me, half the fun! One of my favorite combinations is the Alto Sax and Clarinet in the RT 1 and RT 2 places in the registration. I like that blend very much. All of my tweaked sounds are stored in the "Memory" under "Sound Group"...Right side of the machine....

Enjoy your 7K, you will never regret your purchase...You will never tire of playing the AWESOME KN7000!!!

Elizabeth

#344836 - 05/16/12 02:41 PM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: etwo4788]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Elizabeth

Those are two of my favorite sounds also. Do you have both on together and do you use any techni-chord with a part 4,eg. ?

Bernie

#344843 - 05/16/12 04:20 PM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Audrey Turner Offline

I am really glad to know that other people also think the KN7 is still KING OF THE KEYBOARDS.

If and when I make detrimental remarks about the Yamaha keyboards, I get comments like "you must move on", "Stop living in the past, Technics are no longer around" etc. Someone also said that the Technics OS was old and lacking in that it didn't have midi, GM, conversions etc. and the styles were very limited. I didn't argue with them but just took them to my KN7 and showed them the things they were telling me were not available. Apparently they hadn't bothered to 'look under the bonnet' so to speak. I am not saying I'm an expert at using all the facilities available on the KN7 but at least I know they are there and what they do. For me the best thing about the Technics instruments is their logical way of saving/loading by Folder, Alphabetical or Numerical. It's so quick and simple to use, no messing about with a Style button, a Song button or a Registration button - which I find so frustrating and time consuming.

Changing the subject, Bill when you get a minute, can you email me privately and tell me all about your Bose. Although my speaker system is on small wheels, it is very big and bulky and to be honest, in view of the cost of petrol these days, we'd like to change the car but of course, whilst we're carting it about, we need the space of our present car.

Look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Audrey

#344858 - 05/17/12 02:53 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Audrey Turner]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Will Do Audrey smile

#344861 - 05/17/12 05:04 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Audrey Turner]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I to share the love of the Kn7000, I owned three of them over the years. The point of my post is how easy it is to work with the Kn7000; and how difficult it is to work with the other keyboards. I questioned why would that be; why the difference.

Since like many here I have owned Technics keyboards since the Kn1000 and have gone through a Technics learning period for about 14 years, I to found the Kn7000 very friendly. The question I was left with is if I spent the same time with another make keyboard would I be saying Technics is not as easy. 14 years of using and growing with the Technics system allowed me to do so much so quickly, so easily; as the saying goes – it was a piece of cake.

Change is not easy and working with my Korg Pa800 was a bit of a nightmare. It was not any better with Yamaha. But since I made a commitment to the Pa800 and have given it all my attention June of 2011; and not having a Kn7000 any longer I find the keyboard is becoming very friendly and intuitive; the keyboard seems to anticipate my next step.

The options that are offered allow me to do things I could not have done before. I am starting to make changes on the fly; no thought.

My thought is to bring clarity to making in keyboards -- not one is better than another. For many a change would be the wrong thing to do it would bring an undesirable challenge. My post is to bring clarity; from my experience, to those who have interest and to those who have tried and given up. I did that with five Yamaha keyboards; sold every one of them and went back to my Kn7000.

Only my opinions, John C.

#344868 - 05/17/12 08:14 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Bernie....

When I change instruments in any registration, many, most, or all are selected from the Memory of tweaked sounds in Sound Group.... I nearly always change the part 4 sound.

There are so many options available in the 7K that I have yet to
run out of "new" things to work with to make changes and keep my
music "fresh" and "interesting" to everyone....

Many of my Nursing Home "peeps" were pro musicians. They have been very helpful in suggesting instrument combinations to try in the registrations...

One of the things I do is try a variety of rhythms and sounds with many "old favorite" pieces. For most of the religious pieces I use other types of rhythms...Example: "Just A Closer Walk"... to the "Gospel Shuffle"... Always puts a smile on their faces....No slow somber rhythms for those religious pieces!! Latin rhythms are favorites for many popular pieces too.

My recommendation is to try whatever comes to mind as you explore the amazing 7K! Please your own ear and most likely you will also please your audience...Attempting to copy the sounds of the successful recording is just not fun for me... Having fun is what music and life is about for me! keys

Elizabeth

#344869 - 05/17/12 08:32 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Elizabeth

From your post I see you do as I. I agree, there are infinite possibilities.

Bernie

#344881 - 05/17/12 04:04 PM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Bernie9]
Audrey Turner Offline

I also like to try different rhythms with old songs. It is surprising how it changes the 'flavour' of the song (not always good I might add).

I agree with most of what has been said. I would also add that for me, the instrument has got to 'feel' right. I knew the moment I played the Technics PR900 electric piano that it was for me and I had the same feeling with the Technics keyboards, particularly the KN7000. As I said in a previous post, to this day, I still get much more pleasure playing the KN7 than any other keyboards I play. After all, isn't that the aim - to just sit down and enjoy a few hours 'playing' whatever instrument you have, without having to press umpteen buttons just to get a tune out of it?

Audrey

#344901 - 05/18/12 08:56 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Audrey Turner]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Folks , I've been following the topic with interest .

The only problem I've had with a Technics , I had to have a new foot controller socket fitted to my Technics smac 1200 module because the socket became worn due to approx 20 years of gigging !!.

I also agree with the comments from everyone .

I've tried most modules /keyboards midied to my accordion and for me Technics Wins everytime !!!!

Regards to you all ........Giovanni

#344920 - 05/19/12 01:42 AM Re: KN7000 Problems [Re: Giovanni]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Giovanni

That certainly is a testament to the durability of a Technics machine.

I was re-exploring my KN7000 with fresh eyes and was amazed at the number of instruments in each category of Sound Eplorer. I have a tendency to use the Sound Group and forget the vast choices I have.

Having a separate organ and accordian section is also a real bonus compared to other boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online