Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#344101 - 04/26/12 01:57 PM Style Protection
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Following on from another thread

Question:

Would you be prepared to pay for professionally designed styles knowing that you would only be able to use them on your own keyboard? (Protected)

Or do you believe that once you have bought them, then you should be able to do with them whatever you want, (Unprotected) including giving them away.

It will be interesting to see the results

Bill
Style Protection
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 04/26/12 01:50 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#344103 - 04/26/12 02:36 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i cant vote bill as i think the options are too narrow. I would love to have high quality sounds that i could edir myself but i dont think anyone should then be abke to give those styles away

#344115 - 04/26/12 10:42 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think not protecting the styles will kill the incentive to develop new styles for sale.

#344117 - 04/27/12 01:00 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Hi Spalding

I have tried to keep the pole as simple as possible, hence just the 2 options.

Regarding your answer, then it would come under the protected option.

Bill

#344121 - 04/27/12 02:04 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Originally Posted By: abacus
Following on from another thread

Question:

Would you be prepared to pay for professionally designed styles knowing that you would only be able to use them on your own keyboard? (Protected)

Or do you believe that once you have bought them, then you should be able to do with them whatever you want, (Unprotected) including giving them away.

It will be interesting to see the results

Bill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did say protect them, as if they can't be protected then we end up with overpriced styles, and a lot of ordinary ones. The only thing that you must be able to do is alter the style to suit your use, could be a problem re protection.

Although Apple seem to have it beaten with apps. Imagine if you could programme styles with a guarantee of security, prices should fall and quality should improve. As a matter of fact I can't understand why Yamaha , Korg, Roland and Ketron can't come up with a universal style development that conforms to all new hardware, so you could choose what you want, at a price, and wht you don't want with great protection built in for the developers, not to mention the extra bucks that they reap...

Mmmmm food for thought.. Let's face it they did it with midi, it's a great plan, and I can't see why they couldn't see that not only would each manufacter sell styles to their own, but also to other brand owners of different makes. Some may say could be that then all we would see would be bland, I say look at iTunes/ apps, going through the roof and every day better and better, so I think that argument wouln't hold true.

Edited by Robbo (04/27/12 02:09 AM)

#344153 - 04/28/12 12:12 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As I said on another thread... If you can have an area of memory for these protected styles that cannot be read externally (only written to) then it should be no problem for the user to store his edits in the same area. So I see no impediment to normal use of a protected style.

With the exception of creating an SMF from the style. I guess you COULD, with time and care (LOTS of time!) recreate the style by recording all the chords, in all the divisions, then laboriously stitching it all back together again.

But... here's the whole POINT. If a style creator gets 100% of the sale of his styles, he needs only charge a FRACTION of what they need to now. After all, 1000 sales at $3 a pop is better than 50 sales at $10 a pop (if that, if it gets out fast enough). But, if you can BUY the style for $3, who in their right minds is going to spend a day converting a style into an SMF, and then converting it back into a style?

Protected styles is an idea which's time has come.

Edited by Diki (04/28/12 12:12 AM)

#344154 - 04/28/12 01:14 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I would not mind protected as long as you have lifetime replacement of the USB, talking from experience you don't pay for the media but the styles and sounds that were created, the protection, which preoct from piracy does not benefit the buyer once the media goes bad,then you can throw away in the garbage which I have already done.

#344156 - 04/28/12 02:57 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: vangelis]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: vangelis
I would not mind protected as long as you have lifetime replacement of the USB, talking from experience you don't pay for the media but the styles and sounds that were created, the protection, which preoct from piracy does not benefit the buyer once the media goes bad,then you can throw away in the garbage which I have already done.

As far as I am aware all keyboards allow you to back up everything, (Just as you would with any computer) so there should not be any reason to loose anything.

As with all things software (Hardware arrangers have there own embedded software) Backup, Backup, Backup, with NO exceptions (If your worried about it falling into the wrong hands then encrypt it)

Bill

#344164 - 04/28/12 12:21 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: vangelis]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: vangelis

I wouldn't mind them being protected as long as you can copy them, Doh rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#344184 - 04/29/12 02:31 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

LOL... yes. This is the sticky area of protected files. Backup.

This is where the manufacturers themselves need to help the process along. I know that some audio card manufacturers have a way to key the software to the hardware, and have it have a unique identifier. I have a couple of UAD cards. Software I purchase for use on that CANNOT be cracked. It is keyed to my specific card. I can backup the software, and my key, but it simply does not run on anyone else's UAD card (until I deauthorize my card and authorize the new one, so two users cannot use the same software keys simultaneously).

I know putting a system in like this will not be easy for the manufacturers, but it is the only thing going to secure the future of the arranger, IMO.

After all, what is an arranger OTHER than content? Compared to a modern WS, a pretty poor cousin! Less than stellar sounds, less than stellar editing, and few modern features at all. But IT HAS GREAT STYLES!

But they are beginning to go down the path towards alienating themselves from any player 40 years old and younger, as more and more contemporary music gets ignored. I honestly feel that ONLY protected styles and secure delivery will save the arranger from ultimate obsolescence as fewer and fewer lovers of what they currently DO make styles in survive their NH years!

It won't be easy, but it has to be done, sooner rather than (too) later, IMO.

#344191 - 04/30/12 12:14 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Copyprotection of styles is probably a good tool to make pro stylemakers gain more interest in the business.
But as well as there most be possible to edit and resave the edited file and still keep the original one, there
most be a way to transfer this to (if any and compatible) the next kboard model coming.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#344195 - 04/30/12 01:06 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Maybe a USB dongle is the best way to go, with a pass through connector so the USB port can still be used by another USB device. Then the owner could have the full ability to copy and edit styles, but they would only be able to be used when the dongle was inserted. That would satisfy both the developer and the user.

#344198 - 04/30/12 02:25 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

That's a good idea too.

Mind you, I am not sure whether all this will wither on the vine. It seems manufacturers tend to use new styles (and not even all that many of them) as one of the biggest incentives for you to buy the latest, pitifully minor upgraded arranger over the arranger you have. If they go out of their way to radically increase the ease with which you can get TOTL professionally created styles, you may feel you don't NEED their tiny incremental model increase...

And by choosing short term profit over long term gain, they may very well doom the arranger as a viable professional tool. Talk about a rock and a hard place!

computer

#344225 - 04/30/12 11:15 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Diki]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Well said.And it's all our fault because we buy the same instrument again and again and again.We are being milked like there is no tomorrow and again it's our fault.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#344231 - 04/30/12 02:27 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Dad, Can I borrow the car?

Sorry GM makes them now, that you need to buy your own vehicle...no sharing allowed. Just plain dumb, right?

I voted unprotected. If I can't share it, I'm not buying it.
If a manufacturer REQUESTS that I do not share, I'll most likely abide by that request. What if I ended up not liking the style, and decided to give it away?

The idea that protected styles will bring costs down may not be true. It costs software makers more to write protected files, and to the need to update those protected files from hackers who have figured it out. It's a never ending battle, and we are better off with the current honor system.

We humans love to share. It's in our genes. We don't like stingy people, and that includes manufactures who produce protected material.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#344247 - 05/01/12 02:38 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

That is utterly ridiculous, Larry. You can't share your car AT THE SAME TIME YOU USE IT YOURSELF

Just plain dumb.... right!

ALL software manufacturers DO request that you don't share their work. In fact, they DEMAND it. And legally, they have every right to do so. Look for a EULA or a copyright agreement as part of the purchase paperwork.

Now, some of them DO allow you to sell or give away the software, but ONLY if you are no longer using it yourself. EXACTLY like a car, if you think about it. You can't sell it to your son, have him move across the country, and still use it yourself! But mysteriously, you seem to think this is OK for software?

I am sorry, but I honestly feel that only people desperate for some form of self-justification for an act they KNOW in their heart of hearts is just plain wrong can come up with this kind of baloney. Even the most casual of examinations reveal the illogicality of their position. A piece of software is NOT a car. You did NOT get the right to buy it, use it and give it away to your hundred thousand closest friends. You didn't even get the right to keep it for yourself and give it away to even ONE of your friends.

If you had ANY respect for the musician that made it (yes... MUSICIANS create styles!), you would tell your friends what a great style it is, and direct them to BUY it from the guy that made it. And then, MAYBE... he'll make another one that you really like.

Because he sure ain't if you give it away because you like it so much, you just GOTTA share it!

I'm sorry, but this just burns my a$$. I only hope that you work in a profession where someone can rip you off, give YOUR work away for free, and then come up with a glib justification for doing it. That is, as long as you don't seem to mind doing it to others.

computer

#344248 - 05/01/12 02:49 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

In fact... I am horrified someone in the music store business can be this blind or naive. How do you feel when someone steals a guitar from your store..?

Hold on a minute! I thought we humans like to share? We don't like stingy people, and that includes music store owners who want to get PAID when you walk out the store with a guitar!

Now, imagine that when you DO sell a guitar, the guy that bought it can put it in a magic 'duplicator', and make TWO guitars, and he gives one of them away. Probably to someone that, without the gift from his friend, would have come to your store and BOUGHT a guitar. And lo and behold, HE puts his copy in his duplicator, whips out three or four copies, and gives them to some MORE friends. And so on, ad infinitum.

You sure as sh*t won't be in business long, will you?

But hey! Who want to be stingy? What's making a living, compared to that..?

#344249 - 05/01/12 04:41 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I don't think that because someone has an opinion different from yours that that makes them 'stupid'. Else, why have a poll? Instead of "Protected" or "Unprotected", we could just label it "Brilliant" or "Stupid". JMO.

chas

#344251 - 05/01/12 06:01 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Here we go again........it was so nice & peaceful on SZ...oh well

#344253 - 05/01/12 06:54 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Diki...I understand your point.
smile Peace smile
Larry

#344254 - 05/01/12 07:46 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
cgiles Offline

Okay, my apologies if my post offended anyone or disrupted the peace and tranquility that is the hallmark of SZ smile . Instead, I'll just vote for "protected", mainly because with fewer copies around, it should lessen the chance of having to listen to countless identical versions of the same note for note arrangements of the same tired tunes all over America. Other than that, sharing is good.

chas

#344263 - 05/01/12 09:14 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Frankly, this has been done to death before on SZ many times, boring beyond belief, who started this, anyway it ain't going to change we all know that, so why discuss it. I take it Diki has never copied anything in his life, so good Diki I really admire you immensely, I suppose every copy of Windows XP and Windows 7 are all genuine, get real guys. If they were Bill Gates would be a millionaire rotf2 I'm not voting either way might get some banging on my front door.

#344265 - 05/01/12 09:46 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: cgiles]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I don't think that because someone has an opinion different from yours that that makes them 'stupid'. Else, why have a poll? Instead of "Protected" or "Unprotected", we could just label it "Brilliant" or "Stupid". JMO.

chas

Chas,

Can we vote for both, protected and unprotected that way we can make the pole look good, I haven't tried it, hell what are we going to do with the data anyway ????
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#344267 - 05/01/12 09:59 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

what people should be worried about is how long arranger kb's will remain on the market in the future ...period!
I say stock pile what is there now.......

#344268 - 05/01/12 10:30 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Here we go again........it was so nice & peaceful on SZ...oh well

Donny,

This is why some are staying away.

Bye

#344269 - 05/01/12 10:35 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk

The idea that protected styles will bring costs down may not be true. It costs software makers more to write protected files, and to the need to update those protected files from hackers who have figured it out.

Excellent point, Larry...it would be quite difficult to stay ahead of hackers, and the styles may actually end up costing more in the long run due to the extra work needed to protect them.

If I take a "protected" style and edit/modify it by adding/removing parts or using parts from other non-protected or protected styles via Yamaha's Style Assembly, would I be able to share the resulting modified style with my friends, and/or copy it and use it in another Yamaha keyboard model I would have, or would restrictions still be applicable?

Also, one would wonder how the style creators are compensated for their work...would they be privy to a percentage of profits made on the amount of styles sold, or are they paid just for the styles they create? Or, perhaps a combination of the two? I've asked a few people I know in the company, and they didn't have any answers.

Perhaps the idea, or objective, of the Premium Styles is not so much to make a profit on the styles, but to create more arranger sales because of the ready availability of additional content?

Ian

#344273 - 05/01/12 12:34 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

That's an interesting point about editing/modifying styles, Ian.

In legal terms, I wonder at what point is an edited/modified style regarded as not being the original work. I suppose it could be argued that changing even one note or beat might be deemed enough to render the edited/modified style different enough as to not infringe any copyright restrictions.

In buying an arranger the costs of original style creation are obviously included in the purchase price, yet the manufacturer includes the facility to edit/modify those styles which, presumably, having been edited/modified by the purchaser, are no longer classed as original and can be freely distributed.

Fascinatin' ain't it? Any copyright/intellectual property lawyers on here?

#344276 - 05/01/12 01:25 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
That's an interesting point about editing/modifying styles, Ian.

In legal terms, I wonder at what point is an edited/modified style regarded as not being the original work. I suppose it could be argued that changing even one note or beat might be deemed enough to render the edited/modified style different enough as to not infringe any copyright restrictions.

Yes, and what happens if one takes a "protected" Premium Style, and using Yamaha's own on-board Style Assembly, copies some or every part (overwrite) of that style to an unprotected style?

Will the resulting new style still be protected, or only the parts taken from the protected Premium?

And, as you say, how much (percentage) of the style needs to be edited so as not to infringe copyrights when shared?

Perhaps trying to protect styles is more trouble than it is worth?

And yes, it would be interesting to hear what copyright/intellectual property lawyers have to say on this matter?

Ian

#344286 - 05/01/12 02:58 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: 124]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: 124

I know one!!! woot

#344287 - 05/01/12 03:09 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Okay, Tone, tap him up.

#344306 - 05/02/12 05:42 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

I'm glad unprotected WON the Poll decisively...I wasn't surprised at the results.

#344320 - 05/02/12 08:48 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Who the hell cares what will be will be, SZ will never change anything like this, how many voted 10 ...no don't tell me it might be less, was it a serious representation of the arranger players worldwide, nope....heeee haaaaaa rotfl so bill what's your synopsis of the situation are we are further forward with the big picture, what will this do to the price of gold???

#344343 - 05/02/12 02:21 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

One's opinion about this issue MIGHT be different if any of you worked in a profession where copyright infringement and piracy made any difference at all to YOUR income.

And that, I hate to say, is a sad, sad thing. Has it got to the point where something is wrong ONLY if it affects us personally, or are we capable of deciding if something is wrong purely by the ethics of it?

As I tried to point out... styles are not made by greedy corporations. Styles are made by MUSICIANS. You know, just like you and me. Well, maybe not QUITE like you and me, because I don't think I ever heard a user style by anyone from this forum that compared to a good ROM style, but who knows..? Maybe if there WERE money to be made from it, it might be actually worth our time to make one that good.

But I guess we'll never know, because most of you seem to think that, as long as it's not YOUR time and effort that is being ripped off, it's perfectly fine to do it for others. Other musicians, at that.

All I am saying is that while the practice may be commonplace, there really isn't any argument that makes it RIGHT. I can't even say that I haven't used a style or an SMF that might be 3rd party. One never knows, today, as many are floating out there. But, even if I HAVE got some, I won't say it is RIGHT to do so. I can say that I am doing a bad thing. Can you?

Or do you need to ignore the thought that a MUSICIAN made these styles, and pretend it is some greedy corporation?

BTW, things got pretty quiet round here AFTER I stopped posting. And, in all honesty, I only started back when Yamaha came here to directly question us about what we would like to see in a new arranger. The opportunity to directly address the manufacturers (or their representatives) is rare, and I couldn't resist the opportunity. This thread came as a spinoff from a suggestion to Yamaha's threads I made about protected style files. I honestly feel that I could care LESS about hardware features of arrangers (despite having quite a few ideas!) compared to their CONTENT.

I would be perfectly happy with the arranger I have got for the rest of my LIFE (and I honestly think most of you would too) if there were a constant stream of new, high quality styles for it, at a reasonable price. But sadly, the short-sighted and to be quite frank ethically questionable attitudes shown on this thread pretty much guarantee that we are doomed to paying thousands simply to get a few new styles wrapped in a case with only a few more hardware features.

So.... this attitude not only costs OTHER musicians their income from making styles, but costs US a fair chunk of our income from paying through the nose for a new arranger basically for the new styles in it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

There was a reason I stayed away from here for a long time, and this thread (nice to see the usual back-stabbing comments from people with nothing else to say) has only reinforced the correctness of the decision.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#344350 - 05/02/12 07:11 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
cgiles Offline

Diki, I'm sure I'm the "backstabber" with "nothing to say" that you referenced in your post. You're right. If Larry had no problems with your response to his post, then I should have minded my own business and kept my mouth shut.

Although I'm not a fan of the tactic of threatening to leave the board because someone hurt your feelings or challenged your wisdom or point of view, I nevertheless don't wish Synthzone to be deprived of your wisdom and knowledge because of a beef with me; so in that spirit, I promise to no longer participate in this forum, leaving you no reason to leave on my account. Truth is, once I unload or give away my remaining arrangers, it is unlikely that I will ever replace them in the future, so there is really no reason for me to actively participate here. Nothing against arrangers, mind you. It's just that the older I get, the less I like 'canned' music of any type and on any level. I've never played one live and they've gotten way too expensive to keep around as toys. So it's back to basics for me; organ, organ, organ (with a little VP770, cause I can't sing smile ).

A final comment of the 'protected' vs 'unprotected' style question. Frankly, I tend to agree with Tony Hughes - I don't think it matters one damn one way or the other. My honest feeling is that arranger keyboards will ALWAYS be the province of 'home musicians', just as their predecessors (the home organ) were. Bought and played by middle aged, middle class amateurs for personal pleasure and maybe entertaining a few friends. They will NEVER be adopted (at least not here in America) by professional musicians in any meaningful numbers and the manufacturers know this only too well. They're listening alright, just not to the handful of pro's that use them. They're listening to their target market and that target market wants only a few things; it must sound good OUT OF THE BOX, and it must be simple to operate. THEY are willing to shell out for a new model every couple of years for a few new styles ('cause the family has gotten sick and tired of the old ones) and because they can afford it. They will go through life without ever having changed a single edit parameter. Since we're talking 'dumb', here's an example; thinking that the handful of OMB's on SZ represents the American Arranger keyboard market. You may notice that I'm excluding Europe from this whole hypothesis - America only. Oh, and DNJ is probably right about the viability of (TOTL) arrangers. I think their days may be numbered. A cherry B3, on the other hand.......

Again, I apologize for speaking up in a situation that I had no business sticking my nose in. I'm sorry that you (whom I've always thought of as a friend and ally) see me as a backstabber, but I can see how my comments may have been construed that way. Wishing you nothing but good luck and prosperity, my friend. Hope you will reconsider leaving since you will no longer have to contend with my inane comments.

chas

#344353 - 05/02/12 10:10 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

I love fish, fried or boiled for you next time Diki, I like mine fried in batter. yumi yumi rotf2

#344354 - 05/02/12 10:39 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: cgiles]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Diki,

Frankly, I tend to agree with Tony Hughes - I don't think it matters one damn one way or the other.
chas

Wow thanks Chas at last someone on SZ who agrees with me, you have "made my day", I will put the 44 magnum away.

Hey that just rhymed, I am a poet and I don't know it!!!

Happy days Chas and thanks again.

Tony

#344379 - 05/03/12 07:30 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Diki]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Originally Posted By: Diki
One's opinion about this issue MIGHT be different if any of you worked in a profession where copyright infringement and piracy made any difference at all to YOUR income.

And that, I hate to say, is a sad, sad thing. Has it got to the point where something is wrong ONLY if it affects us personally, or are we capable of deciding if something is wrong purely by the ethics of it?

As I tried to point out... styles are not made by greedy corporations. Styles are made by MUSICIANS. You know, just like you and me. Well, maybe not QUITE like you and me,

because I don't think I ever heard a user style by anyone from this forum that compared to a good ROM style, but who knows..? Maybe if there WERE money to be made from it, it might be actually worth our time to make one that good.

But I guess we'll never know, because most of you seem to think that, as long as it's not YOUR time and effort that is being ripped off, it's perfectly fine to do it for others. Other musicians, at that.

All I am saying is that while the practice may be commonplace, there really isn't any argument that makes it RIGHT. I can't even say that I haven't used a style or an SMF that might be 3rd party. One never knows, today, as many are floating out there. But, even if I HAVE got some, I won't say it is RIGHT to do so. I can say that I am doing a bad thing. Can you?

Or do you need to ignore the thought that a MUSICIAN made these styles, and pretend it is some greedy corporation?

BTW, things got pretty quiet round here AFTER I stopped posting. And, in all honesty, I only started back when Yamaha came here to directly question us about what we would like to see in a new arranger. The opportunity to directly address the manufacturers (or their representatives) is rare, and I couldn't resist the opportunity. This thread came as a spinoff from a suggestion to Yamaha's threads I made about protected style files. I honestly feel that I could care LESS about hardware features of arrangers (despite having quite a few ideas!) compared to their CONTENT.

I would be perfectly happy with the arranger I have got for the rest of my LIFE (and I honestly think most of you would too) if there were a constant stream of new, high quality styles for it, at a reasonable price. But sadly, the short-sighted and to be quite frank ethically questionable attitudes shown on this thread pretty much guarantee that we are doomed to paying thousands simply to get a few new styles wrapped in a case with only a few more hardware features.

So.... this attitude not only costs OTHER musicians their income from making styles, but costs US a fair chunk of our income from paying through the nose for a new arranger basically for the new styles in it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

There was a reason I stayed away from here for a long time, and this thread (nice to see the usual back-stabbing comments from people with nothing else to say) has only reinforced the correctness of the decision.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dikki, I agree with you, not the part about not contributing, but certainly the part on securing the future of style production by protecting the musicians who make them. As I staed before it can be done using the iTunes format, and I'm tiered of buying new boards for new styles. If we all think about it logically we are our own worst enemies. Make styles like MIDI, universal, and get manufacturers to provide a framework to have what you want, not what you get. I'ts not impossible, but until there is a fundamental change in the way us consumers think, they will keep giving us new boxes for a few new extra styles.

#344449 - 05/06/12 03:17 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Like I said in many previous posts, how many times can you re-invent the wheel? perfect piano? I guess that would be important to keyboardist in the West? although would people be able to tell LIVE, if you had the best piano sound? not really.
The companies that were ahead and before their time were GEM and Technics, period, what the GEM WK8 had 15 years ago is still today implemented in the 2012 line of arrangers, that is very sad in regards to progress and innovation and I had all brands at one time or another.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online