SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#344254 - 05/01/12 07:46 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, my apologies if my post offended anyone or disrupted the peace and tranquility that is the hallmark of SZ smile . Instead, I'll just vote for "protected", mainly because with fewer copies around, it should lessen the chance of having to listen to countless identical versions of the same note for note arrangements of the same tired tunes all over America. Other than that, sharing is good.

chas

#344263 - 05/01/12 09:14 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Frankly, this has been done to death before on SZ many times, boring beyond belief, who started this, anyway it ain't going to change we all know that, so why discuss it. I take it Diki has never copied anything in his life, so good Diki I really admire you immensely, I suppose every copy of Windows XP and Windows 7 are all genuine, get real guys. If they were Bill Gates would be a millionaire rotf2 I'm not voting either way might get some banging on my front door.

#344265 - 05/01/12 09:46 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: cgiles]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I don't think that because someone has an opinion different from yours that that makes them 'stupid'. Else, why have a poll? Instead of "Protected" or "Unprotected", we could just label it "Brilliant" or "Stupid". JMO.

chas

Chas,

Can we vote for both, protected and unprotected that way we can make the pole look good, I haven't tried it, hell what are we going to do with the data anyway ????
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#344267 - 05/01/12 09:59 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

what people should be worried about is how long arranger kb's will remain on the market in the future ...period!
I say stock pile what is there now.......

#344268 - 05/01/12 10:30 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Here we go again........it was so nice & peaceful on SZ...oh well

Donny,

This is why some are staying away.

Bye
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#344269 - 05/01/12 10:35 AM Re: Style Protection [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk

The idea that protected styles will bring costs down may not be true. It costs software makers more to write protected files, and to the need to update those protected files from hackers who have figured it out.

Excellent point, Larry...it would be quite difficult to stay ahead of hackers, and the styles may actually end up costing more in the long run due to the extra work needed to protect them.

If I take a "protected" style and edit/modify it by adding/removing parts or using parts from other non-protected or protected styles via Yamaha's Style Assembly, would I be able to share the resulting modified style with my friends, and/or copy it and use it in another Yamaha keyboard model I would have, or would restrictions still be applicable?

Also, one would wonder how the style creators are compensated for their work...would they be privy to a percentage of profits made on the amount of styles sold, or are they paid just for the styles they create? Or, perhaps a combination of the two? I've asked a few people I know in the company, and they didn't have any answers.

Perhaps the idea, or objective, of the Premium Styles is not so much to make a profit on the styles, but to create more arranger sales because of the ready availability of additional content?

Ian

#344273 - 05/01/12 12:34 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

That's an interesting point about editing/modifying styles, Ian.

In legal terms, I wonder at what point is an edited/modified style regarded as not being the original work. I suppose it could be argued that changing even one note or beat might be deemed enough to render the edited/modified style different enough as to not infringe any copyright restrictions.

In buying an arranger the costs of original style creation are obviously included in the purchase price, yet the manufacturer includes the facility to edit/modify those styles which, presumably, having been edited/modified by the purchaser, are no longer classed as original and can be freely distributed.

Fascinatin' ain't it? Any copyright/intellectual property lawyers on here?

#344276 - 05/01/12 01:25 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
That's an interesting point about editing/modifying styles, Ian.

In legal terms, I wonder at what point is an edited/modified style regarded as not being the original work. I suppose it could be argued that changing even one note or beat might be deemed enough to render the edited/modified style different enough as to not infringe any copyright restrictions.

Yes, and what happens if one takes a "protected" Premium Style, and using Yamaha's own on-board Style Assembly, copies some or every part (overwrite) of that style to an unprotected style?

Will the resulting new style still be protected, or only the parts taken from the protected Premium?

And, as you say, how much (percentage) of the style needs to be edited so as not to infringe copyrights when shared?

Perhaps trying to protect styles is more trouble than it is worth?

And yes, it would be interesting to hear what copyright/intellectual property lawyers have to say on this matter?

Ian

#344286 - 05/01/12 02:58 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: 124]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: 124

I know one!!! woot

#344287 - 05/01/12 03:09 PM Re: Style Protection [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Okay, Tone, tap him up.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online