Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#344076 - 04/25/12 10:43 PM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: YamahaUS1]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: YamahaUS1
Excellent responses. I really appreciate it. Part 2:

If you could design your own TOTL Arranger Workstation, what CONTENT(Voices, Styles, Mutipads, Music Finder, etc) would it it have?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond...

Regards,

Steve Deming

Overall ( not just content)
- ribbon controller and breath controller input ( this will be the only KB they need for oMB or band Live/Seq)/maybe a few sonds from VL7 ( addition to onboard sample playback synthesis) wouldn't hurt
- better harmonizer
-76 keys/no apeakers yet smaller foot print and light ( I know that roland does it well)
- 2 XLR /combo inputs with sepatare EFX processing ( one for vocals and the other for guitar) ( True OMB player, plays a Mid file, with realtime harmonies using midi or style track,while s playing guitar putting thru the KB's 2nd channel , clean guitar (during verse) EFX becomes dis/dlk EFX ( like automated efx)when you go to (chorus/solo part ) without worring about steping on pedals. True one man band heaven. ( harmonies and guitar solos without button pushing).

-Non spaceship design ( I still like Dx7 type clean look, Pa 3x did a good job.T4 still looks funny.

-black or gray color
- song book like features and chord sequencer without double button pressing

- still manage to put under 35-7 Ibs

-simple arps/filer sweep knobs on board ($ 200 E403 has it)

-Aduio tracks will be great ( at least drums)

-More Trio or 4 piece styles for Ac pop/rock/El rock/reggae/soft with more contemporary yet simple/not too busy drumming

- better quality hard smooth thin yet strong plastic ( faster going back to zero) wheels (Moog/Dx7 type) than can be sticky rubber wheels
.Joustick/vector would'nt hurt either for style morphoring/remixes

Thanks for asking. i don'r see Roland/Korg is doing it.

Edited by jamman (04/25/12 11:13 PM)

#344080 - 04/26/12 04:00 AM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: Diki]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
OMG, two posts from Diki and I'm agreeing with both of them!!! LOL, just kidding man, I always respect your opinion.

I never understood why Yamaha never came out with a US version arranger? Or at least a US version USB chock full of Styles, multipads, registrations for American Music. They have Oriental units, and UK units?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#344082 - 04/26/12 04:46 AM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: kbrkr]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I never understood why Yamaha never came out with a US version arranger? Or at least a US version USB chock full of Styles, multipads, registrations for American Music. They have Oriental units, and UK units?

They should do the same for Latin music. Latin has such international appeal yet good Latin styles (especially contemporary) are hard to come by.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#344083 - 04/26/12 05:16 AM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: YamahaUS1]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Steve, thanks for asking!

Obviously we won't get everything, but some great suggestions have been made.

Tyros X Module
Style libraries as add-ons: C&W, Latin, Bigband, Pop, Rock, etc. If you don't play it, don't buy it!
Improved Vocalizer:
Audio drums, and guitars,

Most important to me!
It's time for Yamaha, or someone, to move into the 21st century.
We need "talking keyboards" i.e. synthesized speech capabilities to read menus and help navigate the instrument.

I know for a fact that there are many blind and/or visually impaired musicians who would benefit greatly from this.

Sell it as an option, as has been suggested above. If you don't need it, don't buy it.

We've had talking watches, calculators, phones, elevators, scales, thermometers, and so on, for years. How hard can it be?

Thanks again!
Don P

#344088 - 04/26/12 09:14 AM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: montunoman]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You'll get NO argument from me, Latin is huge right now (always has been).

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I never understood why
Yamaha never came out with a US version arranger? Or at least a US version USB chock full of Styles, multipads, registrations for American Music. They have Oriental units, and UK units?

They should do the same for Latin music. Latin has such international appeal yet good Latin styles (especially contemporary) are hard to come by.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#344094 - 04/26/12 12:26 PM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: YamahaUS1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Abacus... I think it would be possible to have an unaddressed section of memory where edits of 3rd party styles could be stored in. I mean, if you can have an area for putting the style in in the first place (so it can't be connected to a computer and whisked away to be shared) then that same area of the OS could also store the user's edits...

But bottom line, I think that even if you could do NOTHING to the style itself other than the parameters in your Performance, I think the benefit in an explosion of CONTENT would outweigh the disadvantages in not being able to edit it as fully as a ROM style.

Think how few REALLY edit their styles much now... I don't think the few power users would diminish the return from the majority who JUST WANT NEW HIGH CLASS STYLES!

All anyone wants to do, as a style creator, is make enough money at it to make it worth the time. To match the quality of the ROM styles takes a LOT of it. The current trend in file sharing has made it close to impossible for most to achieve ANY reasonable reward for their efforts. And so... the ONLY time we see high quality new styles in any quantity (the meager offerings by Yamaha don't really count, as few and far between and, TBH as bland and generic as they are) is when a brand new arranger comes out, and the cost of the styles is paid for by the price of the arranger. But protected 3rd party styles, I am quite sure, would lead to an explosion of content, including the genres we have all mentioned.

After, the DEMAND is there. Now all we need to do is monetize the SUPPLY. Basic economic theory.

#344102 - 04/26/12 02:06 PM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: YamahaUS1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki

As I said in my post I am all for protection and your suggestion would work fine with no need to disable the editing functions.

The point I was making is that a lot of people expect something for nothing, and so are perfectly happy to buy 1 style and then give it away free, (With others doing the same) combine this with all of them complaining if a manufacture prevents them from doing it, and manufactures tend to shy away from the idea.

To gauge SZ member’s thoughts I have set up a poll for all of them to vote which they prefer.

It should be interesting to see the results

The pole can be found here

Bill

#344104 - 04/26/12 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: YamahaUS1]
Dnj Offline

I personally think there are already more then enough styles on the market for almost any kind of music....plus with an arranger you can edit them all till your hearts content or even make your own from scratch if your a good enough player. Most of "today's music styles" are way beyond using an arranger KB solo....after all most of it is all done on computer to start with. I would stockpile what already out there as in years to come arr Kb's will slowly dissolve as will the generations IMO.

#344109 - 04/26/12 05:43 PM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
No matter WHAT features the next TOTL arranger has, people are going to complain that it is "too little" or "too much" ... SO how about a menu based arranger, basic in nature, with ALL types of bells and whistles that can be downloaded at the heart's desire and expense of the purchaser dancers ...

Edited by tony mads usa (04/26/12 05:43 PM)

#344124 - 04/27/12 02:28 AM Re: Yamaha Listens Part 2 [Re: Diki]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Originally Posted By: Diki
Abacus... I think it would be possible to have an unaddressed section of memory where edits of 3rd party styles could be stored in. I mean, if you can have an area for putting the style in in the first place (so it can't be connected to a computer and whisked away to be shared) then that same area of the OS could also store the user's edits...

But bottom line, I think that even if you could do NOTHING to the style itself other than the parameters in your Performance, I think the benefit in an explosion of CONTENT would outweigh the disadvantages in not being able to edit it as fully as a ROM style.
Qqq
Think how few REALLY edit their styles much now... I don't think the few power users would diminish the return from the majority who JUST WANT NEW HIGH CLASS STYLES!

All anyone wants to do, as a style creator, is make enough money at it to make it worth the time. To match the quality of the ROM styles takes a LOT of it. The current trend in file sharing has made it close to impossible for most to achieve ANY reasonable reward for their efforts. And so... the ONLY time we see high quality new styles in any quantity (the meager offerings by Yamaha don't really count, as few and far between and, TBH as bland and generic as they are) is when a brand new arranger comes out, and the cost of the styles is paid for by the price of the arranger. But protected 3rd party styles, I am quite sure, would lead to an explosion of content, including the genres we have all mentioned.

After, the DEMAND is there. Now all we need to do is monetize the SUPPLY. Basic economic theory.

Originally Posted By: abacus
Following on from another thread

Question:

Would you be prepared to pay for professionally designed styles knowing that you would only be able to use them on your own keyboard? (Protected)

Or do you believe that once you have bought them, then you should be able to do with them whatever you want, (Unprotected) including giving them away.

It will be interesting to see the results

Bill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This was a message I just posted in the protected styles thread, very applicable to this one as follows:

I did say protect them, as if they can't be protected then we end up with overpriced styles, and a lot of ordinary ones. The only thing that you must be able to do is alter the style to suit your use, could be a problem re protection.

Although Apple seem to have it beaten with apps. Imagine if you could programme styles with a guarantee of security, prices should fall and quality should improve. As a matter of fact I can't understand why Yamaha , Korg, Roland and Ketron can't come up with a universal style development that conforms to all new hardware, so you could choose what you want, at a price, and wht you don't want with great protection built in for the developers, not to mention the extra bucks that they reap...

Mmmmm food for thought.. Let's face it they did it with midi, it's a great plan, and I can't see why they couldn't see that not only would each manufacter sell styles to their own, but also to other brand owners of different makes. Some may say could be that then all we would see would be bland, I say look at iTunes/ apps, going through the roof and every day better and better, so I think that argument wouln't hold true.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Robbo (April, 27 2012 02:09 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online