SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#343759 - 04/17/12 11:52 PM Re: I just semi retired [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Gary,

I will get out more, more work. heeeeeeeee Money Money Money rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#343762 - 04/18/12 02:55 AM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I could retire right now if I wanted, and, in fact, could have at age 55 and I'm still working and wondering why. Lately, I have been thinking of hitting it hard for a year and a half more, when I reach 60, and then spend my time on having as much fun as possible, philanthropy and making music. Working gets in the way of all three of the latter. There are only so many hours in the day.

Congrats, Joe!

#343781 - 04/18/12 08:35 AM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have spent the past 40 years having fun and making music. Retire to WHAT?
DonM

#343787 - 04/18/12 11:26 AM Re: I just semi retired [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I have spent the past 40 years having fun and making music. Retire to WHAT?
DonM

Not being as fortunate I had to retire to get to making music and having fun ...
Don, maybe you could retire to a 9 - 5 office gig ... NOT!!!

#343795 - 04/18/12 02:34 PM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was thinkin' about retirement, but Carol said I had to be dead three days for that to happen. Kinda' like Weekend At Bernie's. I'd be sitting at the keyboard, an MP3 of me playing and singing would be coming over the sound system, she would spray some insect repellent and deodorant on me to keep the bugs off and the smell down, and after she collected the paycheck, she'd put me back in the frig. wink

I figure I'll test the retirement waters in October when I sail south to the Florida Keys and the Bahamas, locations where I'll trade a couple nights of Tiki bar performances at the marinas for a weeks slip rent, water and electricity. If I can swing it, which I believe I can, that's about as close as I can get to retirement till I'm too damned old to play and sing. eek

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#343798 - 04/18/12 03:40 PM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
What retirement means? Based on some of the comments I can't help but throwing this in. First those who are talented enough been able to make a living their entire lives with music God bless you. Wish I had the talent to have taken that route, but I'm also smart enough to know that would attempting to do so would have been like spitting into the wind. Although I have plenty of blessings being a great musician is not one of them. However, at 61 my age next year I'll be able to retire and do what I want without financial worries. It also doesn't mean sitting in the rocker and watching the Price is Right or TV reruns. Golf...... if it weren't for a bad back that goes out easily when I swing a golf club maybe I would?

It will however give the the chance to play more senior facilities mainly to have some fun and earn some dollars too since I'm not fond of refusing money. My current career as MIS manager of a greater Boston area law firm will also give me some opportunity to do some consulting. Nice thing I will be under no pressure to do anything but what I like and want to.

I also think that's what Joe Ayala was trying to say i.e. enjoy life and work less.

#343810 - 04/18/12 09:23 PM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi guys,

Ocean City MD. But I do plan to get up to New Jersey to see Fran and Donny. BTW guys, I'm not retiring from playing, just the day gigs. I do 250 to 300 shows per year and I plan to keep that up. There's no way I could ever sit home and watch the birds fly over. I have a condo in OC that I plan to spend more time at. Also I have a camper that I'd like to take on the road more often. I have 6 time shares I'd like to spend more time at. Like most of you guys, I'm very lucky in that I do work that I love to do, and therefore I would never give it up entirely, I just want to enjoy some of the pure fun side of life as well. Some of us do reach a point in life when we just don't want to go to any more meetings or do any more bs things.

Joe

#343813 - 04/18/12 10:05 PM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Congratulations Joe. Cool that you will able to choose how to spend your time now.

#343818 - 04/19/12 07:42 AM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
To me retirement is getting up and asking myself "What do I WANT to do today?" grin

Six Saturdays and one Sunday each week ... only difference is we go to Church on Sunday ... grin

As one 'retiree' said "My wife asked what I was going to do today" ... I said "Nothing" ... she said "You did that yesterday" ... I said "Yeah, but I didn't finish" ... rotf2

#343822 - 04/19/12 09:36 AM Re: I just semi retired [Re: Songman55]
124 Offline

Yup, retirement is the best job I ever had.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online